What's new

Reaper Users?

Yep. In LPX I set the articulation id to something, for example marcato, but some of the specifics about the keyswitches will be different depending on the note velocity.

In your system, how do you go about assigning articulations to notes? or do you just place program changes manually in front of the notes you want effected by a keyswitch or set of keyswitches?

does your system handle toggles and momentary keyswitches?

or do you just place program changes manually in front of the notes you want effected by a keyswitch or set of keyswitches?
Right. That's how it works. I'll be adding some UI improvements such that selecting a set of notes will also select program changes within the selected range (and a little bit ahead of the selected range) which will make them easier to manipulate together, but in practice they're independent events.

does your system handle toggles and momentary keyswitches?
Yes, for certain values of "momentary keyswitches" :)

toggles are kind of more interesting problem anyway. For example, with Kirk Hunter Spotlight Solo Strings, I handle that in LPX by assigning CC automation to the staccato control in KH's kontakt UI, then I can turn staccato on and off, as its a "toggle" feature. You have to use CC automation otherwise there is no way to know for sure whether kontakt currently has it on or off. So in my LPX script I keep track of whether its on or off as we go to avoid resending keyswitches redundantly, etc..

Well from what I can gather so far you have done some admiral stuff with reaticulate...its definitely something to consider if I mess around more with Reaper. Just mousing around in Reaper though it seems immediately overwhelming to me, LPX is very comfortable and intuitive. But I'm still genuinely interested if the learning curve can be justified in some way by some feature. As of now I have to say I can do more in LPX for articulation management, but perhaps there are other features...

Yes, Reaper can definitely be overwhelming. IMO if you're comfortable and productive with LPX and there are no major aggravations, stick with it. :)

well, I'm still curious as to what people are doing specifically with Reaper that makes it worth the leap.

Maybe if enough of us make enough noise, who knows?

The request for curves in MIDI editor is pretty old... I think even more than 8 years now. There haven't been a lot of FRs that got fulfilled after that much time... I would assume that devs consider ReaControlMIDI the solution... plus since ReaControlMIDI is since one of latest versions also sample-accurate (whereas CCs in MIDI editor are always snapped to the closest available MIDI tick), it also provides this as an additional benefit, for those who consider sample-accuracy important.

The request for curves in MIDI editor is pretty old... I think even more than 8 years now. There haven't been a lot of FRs that got fulfilled after that much time... I would assume that devs consider ReaControlMIDI the solution... plus since ReaControlMIDI is since one of latest versions also sample-accurate (whereas CCs in MIDI editor are always snapped to the closest available MIDI tick), it also provides this as an additional benefit, for those who consider sample-accuracy important.
thanks @EvilDragon. @Quasar I have found this video showing ReaControlMIDI:

I have found this video showing ReaControlMIDI:

Yeah, this is a decent intro to what ReaControlMIDI can do. Kenny Gioia (Reaper Mania) has one too. You can also use CTRL to get a pencil tool and draw the envelopes freehand, then reduce the number of points for easy, further adjusting as needed. I also have the default point type set to bézier in: Options/Preferences/Project/Track Send Defaults, Default Point Shape

I think SWS has some actions for customizing the drawing workflow too, but I haven't looked into this yet.

To all of you who are pissed of by CC editing like me. Go check out the CCEnv plugin, if you don´t know it already.
https://vi-control.net/community/th...oth-midi-cc-automation-in-reaper.54554/page-2
It gives you the option to record your controlers as automation lanes where you can do the same editing as with using ReaControMIDI.
I use this a lot since I do a lot of Midi editing by mouse. This approach works quite ok but it´s still far from a native implamantation.

I've never really understood the complaints about the midi cc editing. In my experience it's quite good.
I have a problem with recording Midi CC. The first pass is ok but when I try to redo a faderride I can´t get Reaper to do what I want. setting record mode to overdub gives me a fusion of old data and new one and midi latch removes not only midi CC but also notes, so I have to delete my old run first before I can do a new one. Therefore I mostly draw things in by hand.

Reaper is the first and only DAW I’ve ever used and I love it.

Being a complete novice at the time, I had no idea that Reaper was considered to be difficult to learn in comparison with other software, so I didn’t worry about it and just went ahead with learning it. That learning process continues to this day, although I have the main stuff down.

I’m not running giant orchestral templates because I don’t compose that kind of music. Not that I wouldn’t want to but I have enough trouble being creative and finishing tracks in my rock/jazz/prog/psych world that trying to learn to compose for an orchestra seems incredibly daunting at my semi advanced age! So Reaper works really well for me and seems pretty lightweight as far as resources go. My projects rarely have more than 20 tracks and for the most part Reaper can handle that with ease. I do have to freeze certain virtual instrument tracks from time to time but that works out well.

Love Reaper...can’t imagine ever moving to another DAW.

I also think that a lot of people having issues with Reaper is because they can't unlearn what they've been doing up until the point they tried Reaper. It's pretty much always going to be the case when you try to move from your first tool ever (or your most used tool ever) to something else, kinda unavoidable...

I didn't want to start a new topic about Reaper, so I'm using this one and I hope it's fine for everybody...

I've created my first "complete" orchestral template in Reaper, it contains 104 tracks, each one loaded with Kontakt or Play (but almost 40 tracks are disabled for ram saving considerations). I'm quite happy with it but I've got a 8-9 seconds freeze each time I'm saving the project (that means every five minutes for auto saving).

Do you know what could be the best way to decrease this saving time ?

I didn't want to start a new topic about Reaper, so I'm using this one and I hope it's fine for everybody...

I've created my first "complete" orchestral template in Reaper, it contains 104 tracks, each one loaded with Kontakt or Play (but almost 40 tracks are disabled for ram saving considerations). I'm quite happy with it but I've got a 8-9 seconds freeze each time I'm saving the project (that means every five minutes for auto saving).

Do you know what could be the best way to decrease this saving time ?
Quite a lot of sampler instances you got running there. I´d advice you to cut them down to instrument groiups. This will free up ram and probably also saving time. Second one is where do you store your projects, an SSD would help for sure. Save minimal undo states is a feature that can also help.

Yes, every time you save a project, all plugin state chunks get written to the project file. This can take time if you have lots of instruments loaded into Kontakt/PLAY. Nothing you can do about it, it's the nature of the beast.

Save minimal undo states is a feature that can also help.

This won't reduce the size of projects and the time needed to write them out, though. It'll just influence the undo file.

me too. ....reaper user for many years. slim, fast, customizable, stable, no problems for years and can do everything i need.

Quite a lot of sampler instances you got running there. I´d advice you to cut them down to instrument groiups.

Yes, every time you save a project, all plugin state chunks get written to the project file. This can take time if you have lots of instruments loaded into Kontakt/PLAY.

I tried to save on an SSD and it didn't change the saving time. I guess I'll have to go the hard way, also known as the routing way :)
One Kontakt per instance seemed easier to organize, also because I would got more flexibility with delays (using Time Adjustement delay). But I guess one kontakt deticated to legatos would do the trick. Do you guys have one instance per instruments family or more ?

I've read that the composer of COD WWII who made it entirely in one Reaper project started with a template at 12mb... mine is 124 !!

Yeah try to use more instruments loaded into Kontakt instances. You'll save some RAM (roughly 60-80 MB per additional instance of Kontakt).

Top Bottom