What's new

Reaper Users?

robgb

Genius. Idiot. You Decide.
I notice there are very few posts about Reaper here. Is this because too few of us use it or because it has fewer problems than other DAWs? Not trying to start a war, here. Just curious.

Maybe just a show of hands of who uses Reaper?

I started with Cakewalk Home Studio. Graduated to Sonar. Moved to Nuendo. Switched to a Mac and got Logic. Moved to Studio One. Finally settled on Reaper. During the latter of those moves I had Reaper on my hard drive and didn't realize how great it is.

Started with Reaper in 2011 and have not had reason to change. Not heavy-duty User, but on (2) PC Desktop DAWs most days. Forum has been very helpful as well, which has minimized posting here.
Would benefit from more posts (both Forums) involving Reaper and typical orchestral, cinematic, trailer projects.

I converted to Reaper about a year and a half to two years ago and have never looked back. Before that, I was a long time ProTools user, but also used Logic, Cakewalk/Sonar, Cubase, Samplitude, and Digital Performer over the years. When I realized the potential with Reaper, I worked hard to get a mammoth template setup with custom scripting, actions, auto-stem rendering, etc. I made that available to others in the form of Orchestral Template for Reaper once I saw how much work it took and the daunting complexity most new users to Reaper face when they load up vanilla Reaper the first time.

But with that said, I try to keep my conversations here more about non-Reaper stuff since that is how I’ve always used the forum. I try to only mention OTR or point people to my youtube page if it will help them out with their own quest or perhaps if they may find benefit in seeing how others have used Reaper. It is a win-win for everyone by just helping spread knowledge. That’s the whole purpose. So it is a delicate dance for me between mostly normal composer/sample library conversations while also being a resource when people ask for that specifically.

That said, the Reaper forum is hugely helpful, but it seems like most people already have a certain aptitude for Reaper who are active there, which leaves many “how do I” conversations receiving “read the manual” responses. To be honest, that type of reply is not really helpful for most people since they have reached out for help. So RobGB, I dig what you’re saying here.

For me, Reaper = DAW. Though I once briefly tried and failed to get on with Sonar, I don't have any real experience with or know how to use any of the others. When I read that some DAWs have different kinds of tracks for audio, MIDI, aux etc. it, like, totally freaks me out! I wouldn't know how to deal with that.

I've been using reaper for 6 months (was on Ableton Live before that) and I usually don't have problems with it. Those times I had questions, I found a video answering them. This sums it up, I think.

54785a.jpg

Oh ... "Show of hands" (sorry)

I can't picture myself using any other DAW again, at least for the foreseeable future. The longer I use it, the more and more it becomes ingrained into how I work with all its customisation possibilities. Being forced into any particular workflow at this point, as good as other DAWs may be, will just feel so frustrating.

My only issue here is I find myself regularly having to chip in to threads that descend into off-topic Reaper bashing, with the usual suspects. I don't feel like it gets fair representation on this forum sometimes. Honestly I feel like I'm back at school sitting at the geeks table getting picked on by the popular masses :cautious:

I notice there are very few posts about Reaper here. Is this because too few of us use it or because it has fewer problems than other DAWs? Not trying to start a war, here. Just curious.

I started with Cakewalk Home Studio. Graduated to Sonar. Moved to Nuendo. Switched to a Mac and got Logic. Moved to Studio One. Finally settled on Reaper. During the latter of those moves I had Reaper on my hard drive and didn't realize how great it is.

i have walked the same way like you while I've worked in 4 Studios: Cakewalk, Cool Edit, Sonar, including Acid Pro, Cubase short time, Nuendo, ProTools, Sequoia, then Logic and finally married with Reaper, plus parallel rendering in Mixbus (the last one). Love Reaper since then.
If I have questions I go directly to Reaper forums.

Best,
Jorge

You guys have me genuinely intrigued about how or why you have chosen to switch and stay in reaper, particularly as it pertains to large templates, orch work, etc I personally would appreciate your stories and experiences with it

Had six years of using the free Cakewalk Express and then Pro Audio 9. Switched to FL Studio around 2005. And then, switched to Reaper three months ago only.

What I can tell is that compared to FL Studio, it makes easier to get an overview and to accomodate different CC lanes at the same time, which were the two main reasons of my migration.

I was afraid the software would get complicated since there are so many options. One day sitting in front of the Reaper 5 Explained videos and I was already setting my templates up!

I was afraid of the somewhat clunky behaviour of the MIDI Editor, but the default settings are deeply customizable, and I now dispose of an even more efficient MIDI Editor workflow.

I was afraid it would mix poorly (but would be very transparent in the same time, which is what Zimmer likes with Cubase). With the DAW teacher of the music school I work in, we did Reaper/Pro Tools comparisons in mixing the same files with the same settings. Reaper did well (not as great, but really well).

Also: my compositions improved since I have a better overview oncthem compared to what I got in FL Studio. Which is the most important part of all that stuff.

Last edited:
In a nutshell : Pros :
It does more or less what the other DAWs do but consumes less resources and is cheaper. It can also be completely tailored to its user.
Cons: Only one : its menus are too long and spidery. But you can configure them also.

You guys have me genuinely intrigued about how or why you have chosen to switch and stay in reaper, particularly as it pertains to large templates, orch work, etc I personally would appreciate your stories and experiences with it
For me it's simple: customizability. I can bend Reaper to my will and I like that. As for large templates, I don't need them. I simply use track templates, which set up certain tracks the way I want them with the instruments and fx I want, all adjusted to my specifications, and add them as needed. No giant cumbersome orchestral template to deal with.

I already bought it long ago, how are the ways that some of you customize it?
That's kind of a loaded question. The possibilities are pretty much endless. I urge you to take a look at the videos on the Reaper.fm website to see what's possible.

For me it's simple: customizability. I can bend Reaper to my will and I like that. As for large templates, I don't need them. I simply use track templates, which set up certain tracks the way I want them with the instruments and fx I want, all adjusted to my specifications, and add them as needed. No giant cumbersome orchestral template to deal with.

Early days with Orchestral work and this topic has been tough. @ storyteller _ OTR has been very tempting after trying his Demo, but this is due to my ineptness so far.

My indecision in whether I can learn to get where you are 'more effectively' by using large templates … and then go to Track templates, OR …..

NwDXsPm

NwDXsPm.jpg

I'm on it since 2011. Total flexibility in function as well as appearance. At $60?!! Why NOT?

Track templates, Project templates, Screen sets, inifinite appearance options, etc., etc., etc., .....

Last edited:
A google search will lead you to several free orchestral templates made by enthusiasts. Most of them are very useable after a few tweaks. Can't help you right now, I'm on my phone.

Top Bottom