What's new

REAPER: Is there an easier way to render out an item like this?

lucor

No luck so far on the REAPER forums so I thought I'd try here.
I have the mic positions of my instruments always activated and routed out to their own tracks, which is great for flexibility and mixing but of course costs a lot horsepower. Because of that I'd like to be able to quickly render out midi items and keep them on the same tracks.

To make it a bit clearer, here's the initial setup:
02-06-_2019_20-33-57.png
Then I'd like to run an action, that renders out the midi item on to the SAME mic tracks, and mutes the midi item. So then it would like this:
02-06-_2019_20-38-24.png

Right now the only way I found to do this is very cumbersome:
  • Select the mic position tracks and run the action "Track: Render selected area of tracks to stereo stem tracks (and mute originals)"
  • This unfortunately renders the items on to NEW tracks, so I then have to move the audio items on to the original mic position tracks and delete the newly created tracks
  • Finally I have to manually mute the midi item
Does anyone know of a way/script/custom action to do this in one action? At least the rendering part, I'd be ok with manually having to mute the midi item every time.
Thanks!

I seem to recall doing something like rendering it as a new take but to audio. I'll try to find the exact action and edit this, it's been a while since I used REAPER.

EDIT:
Ah, what I was remembering was right clicking the midi and choosing "apply track/take fx to items as new take." Not sure if that's overly helpful now that I read the question again.

Last edited:
I might be missing something but can't you just freeze the track? I assume there is also a way to do this for multiple tracks at once, if not I'm sure someone could make a script for it.

upload_2019-6-3_13-35-1.png

I might be missing something but can't you just freeze the track? I assume there is also a way to do this for multiple tracks at once, if not I'm sure someone could make a script for it.

upload_2019-6-3_13-35-1.png
The problem with freezing is that if I want to make additional recordings, I have to first select all mic tracks and unfreeze them before I can use the instrument again, which gets annoying very quickly. Plus it then has to re-render everything once I freeze it again, which additionally costs a lot of time.

Ok I figured out an custom action, it was actually pretty easy, but I'm still coming to grips with REAPER so it took a bit. Man I love this program! :grin:
For anyone that cares, here it is:
03-06-_2019_16-24-56.png
Still have to manually mute the midi item, but I'm fine with that. :)

Ah you beat me by a few minutes @lucor. Mine's a bit longer but I did figure a way to mute the midi item as long as it's in the track above the mics folder:

Best,

Attachments

• lucor render mics and mute midi.png
    lucor render mics and mute midi.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 50
  • lucor action in action.gif
    lucor action in action.gif
    210.8 KB · Views: 40
Top Bottom