What's new

REAPER: Can I use the MIDI keyboard somehow instead of dragging MIDI notes to the correct pitch?

purple

If the question isn't clear enough, I hope to clear this up here. Say I want to "perform" a drum part in, but I can't perform a triplet on a single key of the keyboard so I use multiple octaves top get the right rhythm, but then I need to correct the high octave to match. Normally I'd click and hold to drag the notes down to the proper octave. Is it possible to replace the "click and drag" with something like "click and then press a MIDI key"? Obviously click and drag is fine when all the pitches are an octave, but I am having a problem with a mockup now where the line is a bit too complex to perform on a keyboard and has a lot of notes making the "octave" trick not easy enough for me as not much of a keyboardist. Figuring out an easier way would be a boon to my workflow. Step recording is out in this case because I'm not using a click track.

Does your library allow you to assign two adjacent keys to the same drum sample? This is how a lot of percussion libraries appear to be laid out for this very reason.

Yes, this is possible. In the actions list for the MIDI editor, there are actions named Edit: Move notes down one octave and Edit: Move notes up one octave. You can bind these actions to a shortcut key. If you want that shortcut key to be a MIDI key, make sure that your MIDI device is set to Enable input for control messages in Preferences > MIDI Devices > [right click on the MIDI input device]. Then the shortcut assignment window will be able to listen for MIDI input on that device.

Does your library allow you to assign two adjacent keys to the same drum sample? This is how a lot of percussion libraries appear to be laid out for this very reason.
I'm looking for something that will work for more than just drums... Even chromatic instruments.

Yes, this is possible. In the actions list for the MIDI editor, there are actions named Edit: Move notes down one octave and Edit: Move notes up one octave. You can bind these actions to a shortcut key. If you want that shortcut key to be a MIDI key, make sure that your MIDI device is set to Enable input for control messages in Preferences > MIDI Devices > [right click on the MIDI input device]. Then the shortcut assignment window will be able to listen for MIDI input on that device.
This is nice to know but isn't exactly what I'm after. I want to be able to play a rhythm in that is hard on a keyboard but easy on other instruments and have a way to easily fix the notes later. Like in certain moments it isn't really practical to perform the line on a keyboard because of repeated notes but also can't just be an octave jump up or down becau8se the notes change inside the repeats and so on.

On Cubase you can edit Pitch (and NoteOn/NoteOff Velocity) afterwards

I was a Reaper user from 2.6 to 4.2 and don't remember it having something similar; maybe they added on v5 or v6?

[CUBASE] MIDI Input.gif

On Cubase you can edit Pitch (and NoteOn/NoteOff Velocity) afterwards

I was a Reaper user from 2.6 to 4.2 and don't remember it having something similar; maybe they added on v5 or v6?

[CUBASE] MIDI Input.gif
This is exactly what I need... Maybe I should just get cubase? But surely this is possible somehow in reaper.

Not the most convenient way to do this but:
1. Select all notes that you want to correct.
2. Press Ctrl + F2
3. In the Event Properties window set Note to whatever value you want (for example 48 - C3)

Reminder that you can create custom actions in Reaper by combining multiple actions into one. That might help figuring out something to fit your workflow.

Personally I just use arrow keys up/down to move a few notes, or the midi event list method for moving all selected notes to a certain note.

Top Bottom