Reaper 6 is here!

MartinH.

Thanks guys, I'll check it out then! :)

Still only $60 for non-commercial use. Not even seen it yet but I know it's gonna be the best $60 I've spent this year. CC lane envelopes? Worth it for that alone!
It is not a strictly "non commercial" license, thought it's worth pointing that out:

"You may use the discounted license if:
  • You are an individual, and REAPER is only for your personal use, or
  • You are an individual or business using REAPER commercially, and yearly gross revenue does not exceed USD $20,000, or
  • You are an educational or non-profit organization."

I still buy the full license to support them, because they really deserve it. Both their product and support are stellar!

Mornats

Yep, you're totally right. I did know that but used "non-commercial" as a quick (yet inaccurate) description. Good to clarify it :)

shponglefan

Collector of sample libraries
Been beta testing it for awhile. Check out the CC lanes. You'll see some significant changes there.
Sweet! The MIDI CC editing in Reaper has always been the one thing I've disliked. Glad to see that has received an overhaul!

shponglefan

Just downloaded and installed. Unfortunately, I've run into some undesirable display behavior.

I run a pair of 4k 32" monitors. I have my default windows display scaling set to 175% (running Windows 10).

Reaper seemed to adhere to that including the display of VST UIs. It would scale them up accordingly. And while this resulted in the VST interfaces being a bit blurry typically, they were still highly usable.

With Reaper 6 installed, while the Reaper GUI elements are obeying the scaling, the VST UIs are not. I tried switching the UI mode (under Advanced UI settings) to "unaware" and this sort of fixed the issue.

However, I'm noticing a lot of graphical/UI issues with Kontakt libraries. I've attached a few screenshots.

Not sure if there are settings issues to fix this, but in the mean time I'm going back to Reaper 5.9x.

edited: Just reinstalled version 5.984 (my previous version) and the Kontakt UI are still there. It was fine 24 hours ago though... :/

Edited part 2: Reinstalled version 6 of Reaper and everything works again. No idea what was happening, but a half dozen reinstalls fixed the issue.

Attachments

Last edited:

MauroPantin

We'll cross that bridge when we burn it
That Kontakt GUI issue I've had in the past with v5 as well, and it normally gets fixed if I set the track to armed with the correct monitoring. Not sure if that will be the case now, and no idea why it happens. But that has always fixed it for me the times that it has happened.

shponglefan

That Kontakt GUI issue I've had in the past with v5 as well, and it normally gets fixed if I set the track to armed with the correct monitoring. Not sure if that will be the case now, and no idea why it happens. But that has always fixed it for me the times that it has happened.
I tried mucking around with settings and nothing seems to be fixing it. Even tried a complete uninstall and reinstall of Reaper, and the UIs are still messed up.

Sucks, but I'll have to spend more time trying to figure out what the heck happened.

Mornats

Same here with various version 5 installs.

MartinH.

I sometime but rarely had the Kontakt GUI issue too, but I often have tracks auto record armed, so maybe that often silently fixed it without me noticing.

synkrotron

A creator of Stuff
Looks like it is back to V5.99 for me.

On my Surface Pro, which has a high DPI monitor, VST such as Absynth and Kontakt do not scale correctly and are too small to work with.

I am quite disappointed really. This is exactly the reason I ditched SO3 :sad:

shponglefan

Looks like it is back to V5.99 for me.

On my Surface Pro, which has a high DPI monitor, VST such as Absynth and Kontakt do not scale correctly and are too small to work with.

I am quite disappointed really. This is exactly the reason I ditched SO3 :sad:
There is a setting in the Advanced UI settings to change this behaviour. You have to set it to "ignore" or something like that, which reverts back to the 5.9x behaviour.

Olivier1024

Windows10 - My main screen scale is 125% and the second screen scale is 100%.

I configure Reaper 6 like this and it works fine :
Reaper Preferences / General / Advanced UI/ system tweaks / HiDPI mode (Windows 7+) = DPI ignorant (0.x - 5.3.1 behavior)

This way Reaper respect the Windows scaling for each screen.

synkrotron

A creator of Stuff
There is a setting in the Advanced UI settings to change this behaviour. You have to set it to "ignore" or something like that, which reverts back to the 5.9x behaviour.
Tried that... Looks terrible. Rolled back to 5.99 and now that looks terrible too. I truly wish I hadn't bothered.

MartinH.

Tried that... Looks terrible. Rolled back to 5.99 and now that looks terrible too. I truly wish I hadn't bothered.
I don't think I've ever done a "proper" install of reaper, I always choose "portable" in the installer and have a number of parallel reaper folders. When I want to "update", I just copy one of them and install the new version over it. When I want to do a "fresh" install, I let the installer make a new one. Seems much safer to try out new versions that way. If it sucks, just delete it and use the old one.

synkrotron

A creator of Stuff
I don't think I've ever done a "proper" install of reaper, I always choose "portable" in the installer and have a number of parallel reaper folders. When I want to "update", I just copy one of them and install the new version over it. When I want to do a "fresh" install, I let the installer make a new one. Seems much safer to try out new versions that way. If it sucks, just delete it and use the old one.
Yeah, in hindsight I should have done the same :sad: