What's new

REAPER 5: An Exhaustive Review

I enjoyed the review Kardon, thank you very much for it! :D Been comparing DAW's for a while and I must say, I find Reaper limitless! especially since you can "stop FX when not playing back" a connected VEP template = 0% CPU Usage unless a specific track contains MIDI data. Amazing efficiency! :D Your review has helped me understand the basics better too! :).

But no score editor, still, right? I gotta see notes, not just bar graphs, personally.
The Cockos team is actually working on an integrated musical notation editor at the moment, though I forget what version it's going to be rolled out in (I believe 5.1?). It will probably take even longer to get it really stable and mature but I'm excited that it's at least in progress.

The Cockos team is actually working on an integrated musical notation editor at the moment, though I forget what version it's going to be rolled out in (I believe 5.1?). It will probably take even longer to get it really stable and mature but I'm excited that it's at least in progress.
They just announced (a couple of days ago) that it will be in one of the releases soon after 5.1

Imagine if cockos would enable a feature that would allow an easy way to bind program change messages/ cc messages to midi notes like they do with note event channel (same as logic allows that) then this would mean one can overcome the 16 midi channel articulation limit in regards to kontakt.

Imagine if cockos would enable a feature that would allow an easy way to bind program change messages/ cc messages to midi notes like they do with note event channel (same as logic allows that) then this would mean one can overcome the 16 midi channel articulation limit in regards to kontakt.
Probably doable already via a JS FX, enquire on the forum to see if someone can put such a thing together if it hasn't already been done

This is a really great article. I have been using it for a few years now and, despite some quirks, it really has done everything I needed. I feel torn as I just got Cubase 8 a couple of weeks ago, but still haven't made the transition. It's like I'm leaving a valued friend.

One other thing you may want to put in the article is that using ReaAsio, Reaper can be used in a similar way as VEPro is used. The caveat is that it is limited to sending only 8 audio sources. So you would definitely have to have the tracks in the Slave instance balanced for each section and send those tracks to a single bus. Also, it is limited to a single machine use in this setup. However, there is also ReaRoute which can be used across the network.

It is nowhere near as powerful, and easy to use as VEPro, but it does work.

REAPER is indeed a very special DAW, and this is a great review.

What can't be done in REAPER by default, can normally be scripted. Even if you can't script yourself, often asking in their forums is enough to get someone doing it for you.

The release cycle is also great, with the amount of fixes and additions in relatively small version iterations putting the point release versions of other DAWS (some paid, some not) to shame.

Top Bottom