What's new

Real Talk On Sample Modeling Brass

btw all CC data targets can be changed on the GUI. I never use the default CC11 for dynamic and CC1 for vibrato.

I don't know if trying or learning to use a breath controller will help you. For me it's very natural as a wind player but it feels more like 'singing' the dynamic than actually playing a wind instrument. I think if you can sing the articulation you want (including crescendos, breath rests and accents) it would be rather easy to learn. Don't know if that makes sense.

@storyteller

I don't own them but used them for 1.5 years assisting a TV composer on a show.

The SM trumpets were indispensable. There were tons of animation-style scoring situations where we needed falls, very fast scales/chromatic rips, progressive fluttertongue, shakes, exactly controlled crescendos, and often we needed all 3 trumpets to be doing this stuff in triadic formations. In other libraries, these articulations (which are hardly rare, extended techniques) are recorded as very inflexible oneshot samples with few RR, like the "cresc" samples in Hollywood Brass for instance. For SM, it was a breeze. Also, apart from Berlin Brass and Chris Hein, there is not another library I can think of that has 3 distinct but well-matching solo trumpets.

It's also worth adding that it was relatively easy and quick to get good results. Even without a breath controller.

We found the SM trombones and tuba to be good as well.

The SM horns just don't sound great to my ear. There are many other horn VIs that I think are better for cinematic work, and perhaps also for close studio work.

A few weeks ago, I also just bought a secret weapon for more trumpet and trombone flexibility. I bought a vintage sixties era Wurlitzer Brasshorn, for re-amping trumpet and trombone samples (with the ability to add any kind of mute). The Brasshorn comes with both a trumpet and trombone bell.

https://www.spheremusic.com/userimages/Img11025.jpg (Img11025.jpg)

The SM Trombone is fantastic imo. It does, as Piet suggests lack a little at higher dynamics. I dont own any of the other brass (i have the saxes)

I play it with a TEC breath controller and it is great.

I use a Yamaha windcontroller, basically a virtual saxophone, for exposed solo lines but in context I can get great results just from Touch OSC. It's a fantastic instrument.

As for the dryness of it, the library opens up with some good early reflections by default bringing it fairly in line with VSL silent stage libraries, so not totally dry. If you have any experience fitting VSL into a mix, Synchron excluded, it shouldn't be too much trouble.

I love SM brass. (The saxes are also quite good, but harder to get sounding good; saxes are so hard). Aside from what's already been said, the room you put them into matters a lot because they are indeed dry as a popcorn fart (am I allowed to say that?). If you do a search, some very knowledgeable people around here (cough, Jeast, cough, cough Saxer) have given lots of good tips about getting getting the appropriate ERs.

Here's a 'quirky 60s spy caper' type track I did with SM trombones using a breath controller: https://jonnybutter.com/track/1416812/on-million-dollars?feature_id=200386

btw, I'm aware that the production on this (older) track could be better, but I posted it because I do think the trombones sound good

Last edited:

These are very convincing to my ears I think I would be 100% fooled if I did not see it for my self.

I think what help is knowing how to work the brass.

But I think sample modeling are on to a good thing I just wish they wish they would continue to develop and make there products less CPU intensive.

But they are or have moved in the right direction.

Last edited:
I love it! It is so much fun to play them and the sound you get out of it is amazing!
I do agree with Piet; I find it hard to have them sounding good in an all-out full dynamic part. I also don't have much success with the Trumpet, but I am sure that's just my lack of playing it right.

All brass in this track is SM:

hi can anyone advise , recently purchased the saxes from audio modeling,
I really want trumpet 3 ,but after reading all the various threads here and elsewhere,on
situation between the two companies ,my head is spinning ,some say , won't be supported
others differ.. i was just looking for a good performance sound with breath control specifically mutes ..
spent more time reading about this than playing..
all the best phill

hi can anyone advise , recently purchased the saxes from audio modeling,
I really want trumpet 3 ,but after reading all the various threads here and elsewhere,on
situation between the two companies ,my head is spinning ,some say , won't be supported
others differ.. i was just looking for a good performance sound with breath control specifically mutes ..
spent more time reading about this than playing..
all the best phill
It’s perfectly safe to buy from Samplemodeling, they are not going anywhere. Even if they were, you would likely be able to continue using their instruments in their current form for several years. Easily worth the price of admission, as the brass top all of the other instruments, including the ones from Audio Modeling, good as they are.

It’s perfectly safe to buy from Samplemodeling, they are not going anywhere. Even if they were, you would likely be able to continue using their instruments in their current form for several years. Easily worth the price of admission, as the brass top all of the other instruments, including the ones from Audio Modeling, good as they are.
Thanks

I used the SM brass (and woodwinds as well) for the last year and a half for a theme park. They were all indispensable. You have great control over the elements that can turn a static sound into music. There is a large learning curve, but the effort is well worth it, and yes, it gets a little unnerving hearing them dry when other samples in your tracks are wet. I use an inexpensive MRT breath controller. I ended up recording with a large big band but still dropped in some SM brass to achieve the result I was after. I hope that helps!

If you want to hear SM brass in action a bit, go to my website and listen to Masquerade. All brass and winds are SM.

The arrangement is wonderful, Larry. Really beautiful string lines reminiscent of my childhood days! I'm not sold on SM, though. What are your thoughts on BBB horns?

Top Bottom