What's new

Reaching for "the next level"

JohnG

Not sure what for most people "the next level" actually means, but thought it an interesting topic.

Then

"Many years ago..." there was a sort-of path that led to preparation for the Next Level. You might start out copying or orchestrating, or boothing (supervising the score and relaying to the conductor/composer what the people in the booth wanted, or letting them know that maybe the brass was too loud, or other musical direction).

The result was spending many, many hours at sessions absorbing the behaviour of the players, the producer/director, the composer, the engineer. You'd hear the banter but if observant, you could catch the "real" conversation about negotiating an artistic goal (sometimes quite different from what the composer originally imagined) and then quickly implementing it. You'd see the negotiation taking place, the give and take, with all that entering your own behaviour through osmosis, for lack of a better expression.

Skills and ...Other Skills

Working like that teaches you a number of things, including:

1. How to behave / solve problems efficiently when there is a big budget, everyone is a bit wired / excited / on edge, and time is really money;
2. The nuance of communicating and negotiating in a sometimes-ambiguous hierarchy;
3. How to negotiate with engineers (and it's definitely a negotiation, not a dictatorship, if you know what's good for you); and
4. How to absorb a new direction from your boss (director / producer) and creatively apply it in real time, without getting steamed up or feeling sorry for yourself; dealing with a sometimes-unwelcome surprise artistically instead of just slamming something in there.

Of course, working with a live ensemble also teaches / helps you hone practical musical skills:

1. How to write clearly and idiomatically for players;
2. What players don't like (something you hear about pretty clearly -- verbally and non-verbally);
3. When you can feel the players are tired and it's time for a break; and
4. What they can actually execute -- how do real French Horns sound up high/ down low etc.

Now

Today, all that seems elusive.

I encounter composers or would-be composers who don't have live-playing experience. That I understand. What surprises me is that some seem barely interested in learning what you need to know to work with live players. Some proportion -- not sure how large -- seem to feel they don't even need to play an instrument.

I guess for me I don't see how you elevate your music to that next level without that knowledge. Like many here, I have had plenty of "in the box" jobs over time. Some were fun, some even paid well; but at the risk of overgeneralising about those projects, even those producers and directors who were grateful for the effort required for making decent music out of computers still perceived it as "computer music." They relegated me to the category of "computer music guy," by contrast with "real / big time composer."

Put simply, I perceive, right or wrong, that to make it onto a bigger platform, and having the tremendous satisfaction that music can bring, composers need the ability to incorporate players.

It certainly livens up the music (har-har -- "livens"). I just replaced a (very good) sampled ethnic flute with one played live and, despite its being only about 30 seconds out of a nearly 3 minute piece, it elevated the piece immeasurably.

"The Knowledge"

Every few weeks or months a thread pops up in which some people argue you don't need theory to be a good / successful composer. Maybe they point to Paul McCartney or Hans Zimmer, implicitly attributing to them a tabula rasa, unblemished by academic stuffiness.

But those guys (and all the others) rapidly did learn how to work with players. How? Well, partly because they were players. They played live, they undoubtedly had to learn chords, chord progressions, even inversions and different meters -- theory, in other words. Also, they are gifted. Are all of us equally gifted musically?

And while learning chord changes is helpful, my guess is that it's the "other stuff" that maybe is also decisive. Playing live is fun, you sometimes meet entertaining (if also sometimes tipsy) people. But you also learn: "What makes a crowd jump up and want to dance?" "Which songs make people cry?" "How do you cope with a pissed-off nightclub / venue owner?" "How do you get the drummer back on stage when you said something about his playing that made him mad and he stormed off?"

Working with live players is not solely (or mostly) about academic pomp, it's equally about keeping everyone focused and happy and enjoying it.

So What?

So I am nobody special, but I've had a lot of fun and had some orchestras along the way, conducted, arranged -- all that. For me, the path I've had has been elevated (artistically and financially) by working with live players.

For young / new composers, is working with live players irrelevant? Is it indispensable?

I don't see how you move up in music without live players, but of course we all think back on our own experiences and find our thoughts validated, so maybe some out there have a different view?

Last edited:
The world is changing and live players are becoming far less critical then they were in the past. That being said, I do think everything comes around. I will never give up my interest in live-played music and everything there is to learn about it. I view it as an important part of human civilization that needs to be preserved.

So I am nobody special, but I've had a lot of fun and had some orchestras along the way, conducted, arranged -- all that. For me, the path I've had has been elevated (artistically and financially) by working with live players.

For young / new composers, is working with live players irrelevant? Is it indispensable?

I don't see how you move up in music without live players, but of course we all think back on our own experiences and find our thoughts validated, so maybe some out there have a different view?

@JohnG you are one guy I always "look up to" on this forum, very knowledgable and talented. I totally understand what you have said. However, as a middle-aged composer, I guess I've become somewhat cynical with regards to my next level. I will always dream of becoming the next Hans Zimmer, but the realization is that it is merely a pipe dream now, and justifiably so. In my local music market, there just isn't any need (or facilities) for a soundtrack with live orchestra. There's a major film studio here in Calgary, but the post is all done in LA. My next level takes the form of continued formal piano lessons, honing my composition skills, and marketing myself more strategically so that I can continue to compose for whatever comes my way. Ultimately, I'd like to land a few more bigger-budget feature length films, and continue scoring for professional live theatre across Canada (which I've been doing forever). So in a nutshell, I don't think you NEED to delve into the world of using live players, because in many situations, it's pretty much pointless.

My 2 cents : I totally agree with you @JohnG

I’ve learned far more about music by playing in bands for years than by my classical education.
Classical training gave me the understanding of rules (why).
Bands gave me the feeling on what the music is.
There no better way to learn. And to booze.

I’ve learned far more about music by playing in bands for years than by my classical education.
Classical training gave me the understanding of rules (why).
Bands gave me the feeling on what the music is.
There no better way to learn. And to booze.

Yep. Spent time on small stages in small bars or fraternity houses, watching people get amped up on all that. I think that experience helps tremendously. Also, dealing with bass players.

I don't think you NEED to delve into the world of using live players, because in many situations, it's pretty much pointless.

I hear you @Wolfie2112 . But even when it feels pointless, I still think it's great to have, say, a cello soloist, or a wind soloist, or a small choir. I have done scores with one guy playing violins and violas, supplementing with another guy playing solo winds.

I really enjoy hearing those pieces even years later, whereas those done solely with samples, quite a bit less so. They also wear better sonically; the limitations of the long-ago Roland SP700s don't become any less conspicuous with time.

If we’re talking about any type of live playing, I fully agree about it expanding your knowledge. I still drum professionally (including tours) and it is still fulfilling and inspirational. And yes, dealing with bass players and lead singers ;)

This is a personal goal of mine - to have some pieces performed by a larger orchestral ensemble.

I am not sure why anyone who wants to write symphonic / orchestral music would push back on this? What an amazing experience!

So the “next level” for some is about becoming a better musician. For me, the “next level” is about making more money. I don’t care how I get there either. Learn new instruments, use ghostwriters, use AI to compose. As long as I get my money up, I’m good.

I don’t mean to offend anyone,
I’m just new school. I took piano as a child for a year and got bored. So I never learned to play an instrument, I just “compose” using a DAW. I am already composing full songs at home, so there is no next level as far as becoming a better musician. If I want better sounds, I get more VSTs, hire some people to play for me, or find a way to program those sounds.

Neither way is right or wrong.

So the “next level” for some is about becoming a better musician. For me, the “next level” is about making more money. I don’t care how I get there either. Learn new instruments, use ghostwriters, use AI to compose. As long as I get my money up, I’m good.
OK.
I don’t mean to offend anyone,
I’m just new school. I took piano as a child for a year and got bored. So I never learned to play an instrument, I just “compose” using a DAW. I am already composing full songs at home, so there is no next level as far as becoming a better musician. If I want better sounds, I get more VSTs, hire some people to play for me, or find a way to program those sounds.
So what happens if it turns out that in order to make more money you need to learn more of what you din't know? Perhaps the fact that you think you can't become a better musician may exactly be the think holding back your earnings? Are you prepared for that?

OK.

So what happens if it turns out that in order to make more money you need to learn more of what you din't know? Perhaps the fact that you think you can't become a better musician may exactly be the think holding back your earnings? Are you prepared for that?

I can work on getting better. I’m not opposed to that. But I think I would do better by focusing on what I know and work with other people who are great at what they do.

Pop music is often done by small armies of people. I’d like to work in that capacity and build up a bigger catalog by working with teams of people instead of trying to do it on my own.

I'm definitely not against live recording and playing in any way. I was in wind ensemble all through middle and high school, and did some live orchestra composing and recording (to picture) in college. But the work involved in doing it all is so intense! If I had a project with the budget for it and the director/developer requested it, I would make it happen. Otherwise when I weigh the hassle of hiring orchestrators and engineers and players, scheduling things, taking trips and being away from my family against the staying in the box, I'll probably always choose in the box if I can pull it off in a way that pleases the client.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to do it if I had the right project and funds set aside for hiring professionals, but that is very rare in production music. So if I wanted to record live, I'd likely have to handle all of it, from scheduling to funding, and there's no way I'd pay for all that out of pocket for production music on spec. Also deadlines can be insanely tight doing custom production music!

I think it's silly to reject the idea of working with players entirely. But for many in the younger generation of up and coming tech-savvy composers, most genres of music can be done well enough in the box that it's just not really worth it,from a business standpoint, to spend time and money on recording sessions. So, my answer for your question to young composers - it's not irrelevant, not at all! Just impractical in many cases.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to do it if I had the right project and funds set aside for hiring professionals, but that is very rare in production music. So if I wanted to record live, I'd likely have to handle all of it, from scheduling to funding, and there's no way I'd pay for all that out of pocket for production music on spec. Also deadlines can be insanely tight doing custom production music!

Ditto!!

Totally agree. Every single time I have worked with a real musician, the amount they add to the track has been mind blowing. So much so that I was compelled to share synch fees with them, especially vocalists. Breaking out of the virtual world is a necessity to keep your craft evolving and more importantly to keep yourself inspired. It's so easy to get wrapped up in the technology and completely forget that you're trying to emulate a performance, not just move faders around.

Have you tried asking the publisher to put the recording $ upfront, then recoup the costs from future licensing / royalty income? I've had a few contracts like that.

Excellent thread!

As Quincy Jones said several years ago (maybe 20 years ago, and I paraphrase what I can remember:

" Now we have a whole bunch of people calling themselves 'musicians' and 'producers' who've never actually played a real musical instrument in their life.
...and the music of today suffers from this. These so-called 'musicians' don't know what it's like to breath life into an instrument, to have to play with other real people....to actually get the music into their bodies like a dancer has to....real musicians have to feel music in their bodies...they have to breath....react with other real people.
....todays music suffers from a lack of people having never actually played an instrument or done any singing in their lives. A lot of todays music is pretty lame."

(...I paraphrased a long interview to the best of my memory)

I'm so lucky to have been am still am a trombone player. I've worked with classical, jazz, rock, Latin, funk, pop, rock, soul, punk, ambient, Broadway, ballet, opera, new-age, fold, world, highly experimental, etc....etc....etc. musicians and groups.

I'm fortunate to know that sample libraries are only facsimiles of what real musicians are capable of. And it's very frustrating every time I have to use my 'in the box' production gear to create a project for which I can't be able to afford a group of real musicians. I feel like I lose part of my soul everytime I open up the DAW.

But....composing with sample libraries has also enable me to produce some works that would have killed a real trumpet player or drummer if they had to do numerous 'takes' over the course of a day while working in the box. (....and, I do have fun trying to replicate real people....it's a challenge!)

Anyways.... as I tell 'younger' musicians now who think they don't have to know anything about music, music theory, or having to play an actual instrument:

"Why limit yourself? Do you just want to be at the mercy of software producers for your musical life and experience of music? Don't you want to get hired by people doing other projects?....interact with other real people?....get hired by someone because you're really good at your instrument?....be able to play any musical style?.....to be able to read any music placed in front of you?....

...to help make the world a better place?...to take pride in being a creator of music? (not just a cut and paste producer)

Maybe do what I did. I deleted my entire 'Apple Loops' collection off my hard drive (...I don't even use Logic or Garageband, but still had it from years ago.) Toss 'em. Buy some other software that forces you to at least create something 'in the style of'. You'll learn more that way.

By a sample library, make your own sounds, learn the keyboard at least... go out and listen to some real musicians. Go hear a real orchestra and a jazz big band. Hear a string quartet play live.

None of us will ever be like Quincy Jones with his wealth of life experience, but it's someting to aspire to. A machine will never replicate what he's done with real musicians.

Top Bottom