1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re-assigning "Dynamics" slider to velocity, in Spitfire libraries?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by yeloop, Oct 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. yeloop

yeloop Member

Jun 4, 2017
    Hi guys

I'm new to the Spitfire libraries, and have just purchased Spitfire Symphonic Strings, Brass, Woodwind, etc. I have worked out how to map the articulations to various controllers.

However, for most of the legato string patches, the "dynamics" value is pre-mapped to the mod wheel.
    I am wondering if it's possible re-assign the dynamics slider for these patches so that dynamics respond to velocity instead of (or even as well as... to allow for swells during sustained notes) just the mod wheel?
    I've worked out how to de-assign it from the mod wheel, but can't figure out how to assign velocity.

If you're a Spitfire user and you can help me out, I'd appreciate it!

Cheers
    Mike

2. MatFluor

MatFluor Senior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Switzerland
    Not that I know of - you can assign it to every CC you've got anywhere - but e.g. the Legato is most often linked with the Velocity - lower velocities trigger glissandi/portamenti, high velocites faster transitions (speaking Performance Legato). So in that sense - it wouldn't make too much sense reassigning it.

So, no - it's not possible, except you add a separate KSP script which translates Velocities to CC Values

3. MatFluor

MatFluor Senior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Switzerland
    I quickly hacked together a Multiscript for that - it translates the incoming velocity into a CC value. You can still use the Modwheel or whatever other Controller you have (as you said, e.g. crescendi etc.).

Edits: Code optimizations - now it's pretty concise

Code:
    on init
        declare $velocity
        declare ui_knob $ccnum (0,127,1)
        set_text($ccnum, "CC")
        make_persistent ($ccnum)
    end on
    on midi_in
        if($MIDI_COMMAND =144)
            $velocity := $EVENT_VELOCITY
            set_midi($MIDI_CHANNEL,$MIDI_COMMAND_CC,$ccnum,$velocity)
        end if
    end on

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  4. Tfis

Tfis Senior Member

Jan 13, 2016
    If you are on cubase the transformer could help, maybe.

5. Goldie Zwecker

Goldie Zwecker Senior Member

Feb 1, 2017
    My keyboard controller has a springy joystick instead of a mod wheel, so once i touch it and it springs back to center - the dynamics fall down to the minimum, which is highly annoying. So for me - reassigning it makes a hell of a lot sense.

MatFluor likes this.
  6. yhomas

yhomas Member

Jul 11, 2017
    I have little experience in this area, but I believe this represents the relevant conventional wisdom:

In one long/legato note from a string or horn or wind, each note usually has some kind of movement/expression dynamic performance in it, as string/horn/wind players do not hold their notes at a constant volume throughout each note.

Samples generally do not record a lot of that movement/performance, and instead record a relatively flat note, which then obligates the user to put back in those dynamics. The way most (e.g. Spitfire) libraries are designed is to assign long note dynamics/volume to a slider or wheel (or foot/breath controller) which the user is expected to move continuously while playing, to mimic what a normal string/horn/wind player would do.

Since key velocity gives you only one volume level for the entire note, the key velocity control paradigm is fundamentally incompatible with most long notes from most orchestral instruments, and (whether technically possible or not) it is more or less incompatible with the design of most orchestral sample libraries (such as the Spitfire orchestral libraries); trying to play such libraries within the key-velocity-controls-dynamics paradigm will handicap the user.

Moreover, many/most libraries (including those from Spitfire) use velocity during legato lines for another purpose like legato type/speed control, so trying to shoehorn velocity control of dynamics into the dynamics of legato notes will often handicap the user in multiple dimensions.

Odds are, it is best to endeavor to use the libraries in a manner compatible to their intended design. Watch the walk through videos that sound good, and copy what they do.

Mike Verta has a pretty good video demonstrating his mod wheel technique, which is more aggressive than that used by many others, but you get the idea.