1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ranking Libraries From Soft to EPIC

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Daniel James, Jan 7, 2018.

1. novaburst

novaburst Senior Member

Dec 21, 2015
    I think after this is achieved, you are 99% there, so yes arrangement is so important more than relying on the library.

2. ghandizilla

ghandizilla Please feed me

They are all co-dependent, but there is a hierarchy.
    You can have good composition but poor arrangement. On the opposite, if you start from a poor composition, there is no way your arrangement is gonna sound great. (It's what happens to me 90% of the time!) It's the same with production : if your arrangement is all confused and muddy, it will be reverberated in your production.
    So, priority wisely, we should prioritize in our everlasting education work :
    1 - composition / musical vocabulary
    2 - arrangement / orchestration / knowledge of the instruments
    3 - production / MIDI programming / knowledge of your virtual instruments / mixing and mastering

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    calebfaith and novaburst like this.
  3. soundtraktechnoid

soundtraktechnoid Senior Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Anyone ever used that Majestica library by 8dio? Where would that rank on DJ's list?

4. Mike Fox

Mike Fox Senior Member

Jul 8, 2016
    I have it. It's OK. Nothing to write home about. The problem is that they completely left out the close mics, which I think would really give Majestica an edge. Unfortunately, this was intentional as Majestica is the condensed version of one of their "VIP" libraries, 8W. If you turn on all the mics, Majestica can sound fairly large, but It requires way too much processing power. Overall, I would probably rank it somewhere between Iceni and Ark 1 in terms of "EPICness".

Btw, Musical Sampling's Trailer Strings will punch a hole through any one of the libraries on this chart. I've yet to hear larger sounding strings. I actually stack them with the strings from Ark, and it's earthshaking!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  5. NoamL

NoamL Senior Member

Jul 6, 2015
    yes, both Trailer Brass and Trailer Strings have some truly excellent fff samples!

6. OP
    OP
    Daniel James

Daniel James Senior Member

Jan 9, 2008
    I don't have those so didn't want to 'guess' where it went.

-DJ

7. MillsMixx

MillsMixx Production Director/Sound Designer

Jan 23, 2015
    Seattle
    Daniel I try to get your attention from time to time in the Twitch chat room on your walkthoughs to ask you why you don't use any 8dio orchestral libraries like Majestica or their Adagio strings. I've never seen you use them in your palate on your walkthroughs. I've seen you use their percussion however which is really great!

However there's a a bit of talk here about Majestica and curious if it's just just not your cup of tea or if you've ever had the chance to play it since it's so epic. Some people feel it's a little bit too over the top and maybe too many players not enough mic options.

8. OP
    OP
    Daniel James

Jan 9, 2008
    Beyond the old Tonehammer versions of things I don't have much of the current 8dio stuff. They do sound awesome though!

-DJ

9. zimm83

zimm83 Senior Member

Jun 23, 2017
    France
    Hy Daniel James. Can you give us some infos about Chaos ....It has been delayed for a year, and thought it would be released in December, but still not released.
    Will it come out ? I like so much the material in Bravo. Wanted more, as always..... Thanks.

10. OP
    OP
    Daniel James

Jan 9, 2008
    Technically never 'delayed' as we never gave a release date/window. But soon I hope :)

-DJ

11. zimm83

zimm83 Senior Member

Jun 23, 2017
    France
    Ah ok.... Thank you very much for the answer. We will wait. Bravo is so great and full of hybrid sounds !!!

12. windyweekend

windyweekend Senior Member

Jun 9, 2016
    One interesting one to go into the mix dead center (as a compromise) is Spifire's LCO. It's got some soft woozy drunken articulations you won't find anywhere else, but also some simply sick, extreme arts that one could consider 'epic', but on some twisted, hallucinogenic trip - detuned basses and celli groaning like nothing you've heard and getting smacked. It's awesome sounding, but only for specific circumstances (I've yet to figure out what they are yet, but I'm sure David Fincher would probably figure it out if he ever tires of Trent Reznor - The Girl with The Detuned Cello sounds like a promising title to use this on). As orchestral libs go, it's one to add here, but almost in its own quarantined chamber somewhere safe from everything else.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Darren Durann likes this.
  13. Ned Bouhalassa

Ned Bouhalassa Senior Member

Sep 30, 2004
    I'm so old that Epic reminds me of cheesy, Errol Flynn swashbuckling movie soundtracks.

PS: really enjoying the OST to Broadchurch 3.

Fleer and Darren Durann like this.
  14. mac

mac Guest

Aggressive is the term I'd use for LCO. Aggressive is the new epic, you heard it here first.

windyweekend and Darren Durann like this.
  15. Darren Durann

Darren Durann Senior Member

Aug 10, 2017
    This has got my curiosity at a peak concerning this library. Looks like I'll wait for the next SF to scoop it up. That's a dry library, too, which has a major impact on my interest. SF needs way more dry libraries imo. Bone dry. Like the @Chris Hein.

Rohann and mac like this.
  16. jacobthestupendous

jacobthestupendous not that stupendous

May 27, 2015
    Not exactly the challenge, but here's something quiet I made with 8dio's epic Lacrimosa choir.

calebfaith likes this.
  17. Rohann

Rohann Professional Forum Browser

Feb 2, 2017
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    This is an interesting concept overall. SCS is certainly "smaller" sounding, but have a listen to the demo of "Baba Yaga" on their site, and with the close mics loaded up it can get quite intense and "close".

18. Rohann

Rohann Professional Forum Browser

Feb 2, 2017
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Great points.
    (EDIT: Just realized you made a response similar to this in a page I missed. I still enjoy the topic of discussion overall).
    Although it's somewhat irrelevant to this post, I do think that separating different perceptions/contexts of "epic" is quite important. A trailer, or a battle cue, needs to be rather "in your face" and immediately grasp one's attention, due to the nature of their requirements. For a longer piece of music though, someone like John Williams or Howard Shore has a much better handle on what constitutes epic in the context of a full film than many of the average Marvel-esque scores today, for the same reasons the battle of Helm's Deep in the Two Towers is far more engaging and memorable to most as "epic" than a lot of the CGI-fests that hit theaters and are immediately forgotten. I think this is where the important distinction between "loud" and "epic" is more relevant -- it's about timbre, contrast, tension, dynamics. There's good reason Ravel's Daphnis and Chloe or Shore's LOTR score has had more longevity than some of the "epic" soundtracks released in the last decade. And like you mentioned, orchestration is really where "epic" comes into play.
    I really do think note choice has more to do with it than I initially thought as well (in a broad context). Some ascending Hungarian-minor chord-cluster passage is going to sound considerably more tension-filled than the vertically-developing thing with ostinatos.

PS -- Where would one fit East West's HWO? Does it cover the spectrum well overall (Noam mentioned HWB having both true p and f dynamics)?

19. Regulus

Regulus Member

Jan 17, 2018
    It's not about "preset" sounds at all, it's about the "character" of specific libraries.
    You can take any library and write any material with it, but it's undeniable that some will shine in a certain context while there are better choices for other, because they were built/recorded with a specific concept in mind.

20. GtrString

GtrString Senior Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Denmark
    I dont own all of these libs, so the comparison on the soft-epic continuum is interesting. Would you be able to counteract the inherent tendencies in the libraries somewhat with a breath controller, you think?