What's new

Random Awesome Early Music

Yeah I am primarily interested in stuff that's pretty new, and stuff that's pretty old. Nothing against everything in between but this is what really gets me going.

There's a ton I'd want to share. Here's the first one that comes to mind, fantastic modern take on Dowland.

That is devastatingly haunting from the first resonating tone in the piece. Shit that is good. Thanks.

EDIT: fix schpelling

Last edited:
Yeah, I got a ton to share as well. But I am about to knock off for the nite. Here is another piece put out by Alpha Classics, just like the Monteverdi piece I posted above. This one is a Lully ditty...

I'll have to dig out some killer Bill Christie rockin' the Charpentier.

Tonight I found it. Worthy of posting...

Savall's group doin' a Stabat Mater, Charpentier stylin' to all get out...

Oh and if you need more of that bleeding motet madness, this is a good encore...

I really always come back to the King's Singers Madrigal History Tour. Il bianco e dolce cigno slaps 100% of the time.

I seem to be tripping up and out on Baroque, Early Renaissance music these days. I hit some bloody mindblowing singing and playing tonight. Here's one of them...
God, Kate Lindsey is so good. Did you see her in the Met's Agrippina? An absolutely jaw-dropping performance.

Great thread!

Please do check out the YouTube channel of the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment. Very informative, especially the videos about different players/instruments.

One of my favorites of the Netherlands Bach Society channel:

This is Jean Rondeau (great player!) playing Girolamo Frescobaldi:

Last edited:
In my humble opinion, the OP contains one of the most incredible duets ever wrote during the renaissance. I still remember my awe when I first heard it, not long ago actually. Many other pieces come to mind, but I'll just post the other two that probably mean the most to me:

Palestrina’s Sicut Cervus gets me ALL the time. Love the harmony. His CRICUT theme is pretty fun.

Many other pieces come to mind, but I'll just post the other two that probably mean the most to me
Oops that's not true. I completely forgot this one. I guess it's time to go to bed huh?

There are some truly heavenly performances of Bach's cantatas to be watched and listened to on YouTube if you check out the work of the J.S. Bach Stiftung, conducted by Rudolf Lutz. Their channel also includes many workshops on the understanding and performing of Bach's music.

Sorry for the blocked video-links. But do click on them and go watch the material.

_

Palestrina’s Sicut Cervus gets me ALL the time. Love the harmony. His CRICUT theme is pretty fun.
Holy shit. That was AMAZING. Like mindblowing! Heard lots of Palestrina but not that one. Shit! Knocks Spem in alium off the pedestal. I'm still shaking from that.

BTW, I take it from your avatar that you are a dedicated Motard guy!

Top Bottom