Race to the Limitless Expanse - Orchestral Action

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by jeremiahpena, May 20, 2019.

1. Here's another big action track, which I love writing. Featuring Cinematic Studio Brass doing some heavy lifting! I've had L&S Chamber Strings for a while and haven't used them much, so this was my first go at layering them in with CSS to add in some sparkle, and I'm quite happy with it.

Woodwinds are all BWW Legacy, percussion is HZ01 and HWP, harp is Symphonic Sphere.

SilentBob, Saxer, markleake and 14 others like this.
  2. Floris

Floris New Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Nice job! Especially like the rythmic punchiness and strings in the beginning.

3. erica-grace

erica-grace Senior Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Very nice! :dancedance:

I hear a little John Williams in there, like at :34, but that's only a good thing.

Something bothers me about the sound, however. Did you do any major EQ work? Something sounds off. But the writing and orchestration sound really good!

4. OP
    OP
    jeremiahpena

jeremiahpena Member

Thanks. There's not a lot of EQ. I took out some low mids in CSS and made the whole track a bit brighter, but that's it. Is there anything in particular you're noticing?

5. MartinH.

MartinH. Senior Member

Jun 16, 2018
  6. Land of Missing Parts

Land of Missing Parts No Time for Honky-Tonk

Jan 27, 2013
    Hogwarts
    Amazing!

7. visiblenoise

visiblenoise New Member

Apr 3, 2019
    California
    Enjoyed the composition a lot! I do also think there is something off with the sound, though it might be a preference thing? It seems a little bit too midrangey at times, and lacking low end, particularly in the first half. Which, based on your followup, sounds like it was done on purpose. But to me it robs the song of some of its impact.

8. Alex Fraser

Alex Fraser Senior Member

Jun 21, 2017
    UK
    Brilliant - a master craftsman at work.

9. DGravel

DGravel New Member

Apr 29, 2019
    Montreal
    Great orchestration! Very punchy mix as well. Good job.

10. 0cme

0cme New Member

Apr 29, 2019
    Seattle
    This is awesome. It reminds me of Shostakovich a bit, not that it sounds Russian or anything but in terms of how different elements are stacked to build up tension. Love it.