Quick turnaround paid competition

NYC Composer

Mods, please leave this here for the next 12 hrs or so. If you can't, you can't....

Pretty funny considering recent events, but...

I've been working for a fledgling music company for a few years and have won some jobs. The turnarounds are usually very quick. The jobs vary, but they are often web videos and mostly buyouts. Recently, I've partnered with them and we won a competition for a job. It's not huge, but my partner is confident that this will be an ongoing client.

The client likes some of our submissions and would like to hear more. As often happens, the brief for the job has evolved. I have sold my partner on opening up the competition. Here's the deal:

1. A :15 second score to video that will ultimately need three similar (as little as one added instrument) versions, though the initial submission only requires one :15 score to video. May (probably will) need changes. Fee to you as the winner: total $2000. I doubt there will be a back end.

2. Deadline-tomorrow (01 July) 4 pm EDT.

3. Requires e-signing of an NDA.

4. Please have complete rights ownership of anything you send and be able to modify it in whatever way might be required

5. If interested, please PM me with your email to receive a brief, a link to the video and an NDA. Thanks.

6. Please submit a mixed video and a music only.

Note: I'm trying to stretch the time, so if you think you might need another hour or two, I think I can still get yours played, so if it's holding you back, go for it! :)

Last edited:
OP
N

NYC Composer

Shutting down for the night in a half hr (5:15 EDT) and will check back around 11am EDT for those last minute folks who might want to put in an hr or two-cheers!

bosone

I have tried but nothing decent came out... Limited time and no ideas.

Damn, I'm at the top of my writer's block.. :-(

... But when everything is finished I would really love to hear the winner cue! :)

OP
N

NYC Composer

Thanks to all who submitted. We have a talented bunch here! I thought many of the submissions were quite viable.

Since there were a healthy but manageable number of submissions, I’m going to try to reach out to everyone with the results-when I know something. Please note-due to the vagaries of agency meetings, client presentations, video changes and the like, that exact time is unknown-could be a day or two, could be a week. That’s just the way the ad biz works, so please assume that until you hear somethin’, I don’t know nuttin’ :)

Again, thanks for your efforts, and thank you Mike and mods for allowing this thread to stay up in this inappropriate sub-forum for a bit. Please feel free to move it wherever. Cheers!

AlvinSWong

Thanks to all who submitted. We have a talented bunch here! I thought many of the submissions were quite viable.

Since there were a healthy but manageable number of submissions, I’m going to try to reach out to everyone with the results-when I know something. Please note-due to the vagaries of agency meetings, client presentations, video changes and the like, that exact time is unknown-could be a day or two, could be a week. That’s just the way the ad biz works, so please assume that until you hear somethin’, I don’t know nuttin’ :)

Again, thanks for your efforts, and thank you Mike and mods for allowing this thread to stay up in this inappropriate sub-forum for a bit. Please feel free to move it wherever. Cheers!
Thanks for the update. Will be fascinating to find out how many responded at such short notice.

bosone

I would like to add my totally unrequested and useless experience.
I am not a "pro", just a "serious" hobbyst which fiddles since 20 years with DAWs, hardware and acoustic instruments. I don't work with music but I have done a lot of different things during these years and I always loved making "music for images".
So I thought it would be a nice challenge for me... the premises were good, it would have been like pretending to be a pro: you are given a quick and strict deadline to score a video... it was one of my dreams when I was younger to have such an occasion!
But when I actually loaded my template my mind was totally blank. even improvising something with a string patch brought me to nothing.
I came out with ridiculous ideas and completely trivial chords progression. No melodic line, no way to "tell a story" that should represent the video.
I thought that making a 15 seconds score should have been easy for me, but i couldn't be so wrong...

I would like to understand the reason of my "failure" and to learn more about the approach one should have in these occasion. Obviously, not to become a "pro", just because after 20 years I consider this a complete failure!

D1scostu

Just wanted to say thanks for giving this opportunity to the community. It’s a great idea. Unfortunately I was too late seeing the post to submit. But will keep my eyes out if the opportunity arises again. 👍🏼