Question on NIs Kontrol keyboards

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by vicontrolu, Nov 8, 2018.

1. vicontrolu

vicontrolu Senior Member

Dec 1, 2008
    So i am thinking on buying one of this, mainly because of the lights telling you where the keyswitches are on each patch.

The question is: will this work on my existing template, full of normal Kontakt5 instances? Or should i replace all my kontakt instances with another plugin so that the keys can "read" the keyswitches from the instruments?

I wouldnt want the latter to be the case then having to redo my template again.ç

Thx

2. OP
    OP
    vicontrolu

vicontrolu Senior Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Btw i am using cubase and vst versions of Kontakt and the rest of NI synths.

3. Garry

Garry Senior Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Switzerland
    I think you're referring Komplete Kontrol keyboards (s88, s61 etc?). If so, you have to use a Komplete Kontrol instance in your template, not a Kontakt instance. Kontakt will not use the light guide - only Komplete Kontrol will do this.

4. OP
    OP
    vicontrolu

vicontrolu Senior Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Damn..not sure if worth it then

5. LowweeK

LowweeK Loïc D

Oct 12, 2015
    Paris, France
    I second this : you need to use komplete kontrol and add instance(s) of Kontakt inside.
    I don’t use it... but I’ce created midi zones and assigned them a color.
    This way, c-2/c0 is one color, c6/c8 another one, etc.
    Since those extreme zones are typically hosting the keyswitches, it’s still useful.

6. OP
    OP
    vicontrolu

vicontrolu Senior Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Yeah..well..not the same thing really :) Besides, expeession maps help a lot in this regard too.

Thanks a lot guys!

7. steveo42

steveo42 Senior Member

Jan 20, 2013
    So, this begs the question, at least for me, for those of you using standard 88 key controllers at a right angle to your desk and thus monitors, how do you keep track of the various key switches in a complex template without having some form of visual guide?

8. OP
    OP
    vicontrolu

vicontrolu Senior Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Steveo42 i use expression maps to deal with this: i use the same buttons on my midi controller to sitch between articulations and i just quickly change the articulation map that transforms this buttons into the keyswitches i desire

steveo42 likes this.
  9. steveo42

steveo42 Senior Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Ahh, got it.
    I like that idea.
    Thanks for replying.