What's new

Question about Using PreSonus's Faderport 8 as a MIDI Controller

Rory

Amateur Auteur
The idea of using a Faderport 8 to control both my DAW (Logic) and MIDI is attractive. Double duty makes the price (US$600) more palatable. Has anyone run into any problems using a Faderport 8 with Logic, either as a DAW controller or as a MIDI controller? The fact that the MIDI functionality is fairly new makes me especially interested in knowing how well it works in practice.

This is PreSonus's overview of the new MIDI functionality:

Last edited:
Saw that. Sure is works great haven’t used it. I picked up an avid artist mix for 350 the other day. They’re on sale. It does many things Faderport doesn’t.

Motorized Automation for cc data (needs Cubase)

auto bank faders

I picked up an avid artist mix for 350 the other day. They’re on sale. It does many things Faderport doesn’t.

Motorized Automation for cc data (needs Cubase)

Hi, I use Logic. Congratulations on your new controller.

Last edited:
I use Studio One Pro 4 with a FaderPort 8 Controller.

For MIDI the Faderport is quite limited at this time, mainly because once you switch the FP8 to MIDI Mode, the eight faders are Pre-Assigned to specific CC#s. i.e. 11, 10, 7, ... , you can not change them to your needs, this is something I requested from Presonus, and hoping they offer a customized CC# per fader as the user needs. Maybe they will offer this via an update in the future. On the other hand, the FP8 has been great for mixing, automation, vst editing, inserting markers, transport, etc etc . The FP8 is compatible with many DAWs. So.. You might want to wait if MIDI Faders functionality is the primary reason you are interested in the FP8.

Also, when using the Faderport as a MCU, Presonus uses their own version of the protocol. So you won't be able to do everything that you can with a compliant MCU controller. It's what stopped me from getting it to control Bitwig. I just wanted to throw that out there.
I'm still in search of the perfect controller, lol.

Could you not just use a transformer on the preset CCs between the FaderPort and the sequencer input in the Clicks and Ports page in the Environment? Do it once, save it as a template, and that’s it!

I use Studio One Pro 4 with a FaderPort 8 Controller.

For MIDI the Faderport is quite limited at this time, mainly because once you switch the FP8 to MIDI Mode, the eight faders are Pre-Assigned to specific CC#s. i.e. 11, 10, 7, ... , you can not change them to your needs, this is something I requested from Presonus, and hoping they offer a customized CC# per fader as the user needs. Maybe they will offer this via an update in the future. On the other hand, the FP8 has been great for mixing, automation, vst editing, inserting markers, transport, etc etc . The FP8 is compatible with many DAWs. So.. You might want to wait if MIDI Faders functionality is the primary reason you are interested in the FP8.

Would you mind clarifying this a bit for me? Watching the video, he demos and states being able to assign a fader to any value within S1. Also mentions the "fixed" values (I believe ) you're referring to. Seems contradictory. Is it fixed for anything outside of S1...but completely flexible within S1?

I'm considering buying a Faderport 8 or 16 to allow me to use a fader for pitch bend, modulation, etc with my VPC1 which lacks these controls....in conjunction with virtual instruments within S1.

I'm considering buying a Faderport 8 or 16 to allow me to use a fader for pitch bend, modulation, etc with my VPC1

You'll make your own decision, but I had a VPC1 in mind when I looked into the Faderport, and after a fair bit of research I abandoned the idea.

Would you mind clarifying this a bit for me? Watching the video, he demos and states being able to assign a fader to any value within S1. Also mentions the "fixed" values (I believe ) you're referring to. Seems contradictory. Is it fixed for anything outside of S1...but completely flexible within S1?

I'm considering buying a Faderport 8 or 16 to allow me to use a fader for pitch bend, modulation, etc with my VPC1 which lacks these controls....in conjunction with virtual instruments within S1.

Basically when you switch the Faderport 8/16 to MIDI Mode, by pressing the two SHIFT buttons (see Pic), the faders are now pre-assigned the following CC#s. You can not assign a fader to pitchbend, or CC# of your choice. The Faders will only transmit the pre-assigned CC#s. (See Pic for assignments).

Basically when you switch the Faderport 8/16 to MIDI Mode, by pressing the two SHIFT buttons (see Pic), the faders are now pre-assigned the following CC#s. You can not assign a fader to pitchbend, or CC# of your choice. The Faders will only transmit the pre-assigned CC#s. (See Pic for assignments).

Curious if you guys have tried the SL Mixface?

Curious if you guys have tried the SL Mixface?

No, I haven't.

I'm using the FP8 for DAW Control (Studio One Pro 5), and it works great for that. I'm also hoping they update the FP8 functionality to allow for assigning CCs to the faders as needed.

Meanwhile I use my Yamaha Montage 7 to send CC messages, I also have an older controller by Lucid the (Alias 8) which I use for some midi functions.

No, I haven't.

I'm using the FP8 for DAW Control (Studio One Pro 5), and it works great for that. I'm also hoping they update the FP8 functionality to allow for assigning CCs to the faders as needed.

Meanwhile I use my Yamaha Montage 7 to send CC messages, I also have an older controller by Lucid the (Alias 8) which I use for some midi functions.

Cool...thanks so much for the info.

@muziksculp
@Grégory Betton
Should work now.
Not exactly.

This is only good for using the faders with MIDI-Learn, but You can not change the pre-assigned CC# that's assigned to each fader. i.e. If I want to assign the fader that's pre-assigned to CC11 to CC 21, or any other CC# I can't do that. That's what I would like them to offer via an update.

Basically, having the ability to pre-assign each fader to the CC# I want, and not be restricted to the pre-assigned CC#s.

Top Bottom