What's new

Question about upgrading the storage on my 2013 MacPro

ag75

I need to upgrade the storage on my 2013 MacPro. I currently have 500gb and want to upgrade to 2tb. In my research I’ve only been able to find OW computing selling SSDs for around $500 for 2tb. What are my best, most reliable, options for upgrading my SSD to 2tb?

Thanks!

I need to upgrade the storage on my 2013 MacPro. I currently have 500gb and want to upgrade to 2tb. In my research I’ve only been able to find OW computing selling SSDs for around $500 for 2tb. What are my best, most reliable, options for upgrading my SSD to 2tb?

Thanks!
It's a tricky one. I've got the same computer. When I looked at the OWC offerings, they all had some awful tricky tech shit you had to figure out in order to make them work right. At the time, about a year ago, it was very much NOT a "drop it in" replacement scenario. I gave up because of the complexity.

I just use external SSD drives for samples, and have offloaded as much as I can from my main internal drive to Google Drive that I'm not using regularly. That keeps me at least 100GB free on the main drive, which seems to be fine for my purposes.

You might look into the incredible CleanMyMac software - it's about $50/year but it does an amazing job of deleting old log files and cleaning up system junk and keeping your Mac running well. I swear by it.

Good luck!

Mike

It's a tricky one. I've got the same computer. When I looked at the OWC offerings, they all had some awful tricky tech shit you had to figure out in order to make them work right. At the time, about a year ago, it was very much NOT a "drop it in" replacement scenario. I gave up because of the complexity.

I just use external SSD drives for samples, and have offloaded as much as I can from my main internal drive to Google Drive that I'm not using regularly. That keeps me at least 100GB free on the main drive, which seems to be fine for my purposes.

You might look into the incredible CleanMyMac software - it's about $50/year but it does an amazing job of deleting old log files and cleaning up system junk and keeping your Mac running well. I swear by it.

Good luck!

Mike
Oh bummer. I really thought it would be easier than this to upgrade. I will look into that software. Much appreciated.

Thanks!
I purchased a 4TB SSD from OWC (garage sale section as they no longer make them-only 2TB SSD) and 12 core CPU upgrade for my 2013 Mac Pro - they work great. You must install your firmware upgrades with the Apple SSD installed. Then install the OWC SSD to upgrade your OS.

I purchased a 4TB SSD from OWC (garage sale section as they no longer make them-only 2TB SSD) and 12 core CPU upgrade for my 2013 Mac Pro - they work great. You must install your firmware upgrades with the Apple SSD installed. Then install the OWC SSD to upgrade your OS.
Ooh thanks I will check it out. I appreciate the tip.

Top Bottom