What's new

Question about school teaching and music career

Manuel Federici

Hello all,

these days i was wondering what is worth to do with my life. (existential dilemma mood, lol).

My goal has always been to make trailer music. I know that this industry is very risky and highly competitive. I compose every day to improve, lately some publishers has shown interest in my music (after two years; this encouraged me to believe in it).

A friend of mine, however, told me that it's better to look for a permanent job, to put me on the list to teach in public schools. His idea is to start composing seriously only after getting the job.
This confused me a little. These years I was so focused in composing that i feel i lost some big problems. I'm teaching privately already and i can manage my time with no stress.

What would you do? Thank you for your help!

jonathanparham

Do what you have to do to keep composing and creating. IMO elementary thru high school is a big commitment. I'm an artist but come from a family of school teachers, married to a college professor, and home school my non-teenage children. I am biased given the state of affairs in the US, but if you do teach, especially in the public/charter sector, please take it seriously. During college, I keenly remember instructors who really didn't 'want to be there' and the ones 'that did!' The ones that 'did' want to be there; I still remember their advice and technique. The one s that didn't; made me cynical about the business, but there's a lesson in that too.

Desire Inspires

To the stars through desire....
Do whatever you need to do to support yourself financially. There is no shame in doing an honest days work.

Wolfie2112

Thank you! :) my main problem would be to make changes to the tracks faster. I know that publishers want really quick delivery sometimes
Well, that's all moot if those tracks can't bring you a reliable, healthy income every month. I mean even if you get accepted to submit a bunch of trailer tracks, you might not see any returns until two or three years down the road. Learn how to balance your full time career with your pursuit of music. I work a full time (non musical career), but manage to constantly build my musical career outside those hours. This also includes meeting deadlines and very late nights, but very rewarding.

Desire Inspires

To the stars through desire....
Well, that's all moot if those tracks can't bring you a reliable, healthy income every month. I mean even if you get accepted to submit a bunch of trailer tracks, you might not see any returns until two or three years down the road. Learn how to balance your full time career with your pursuit of music. I work a full time (non musical career), but manage to constantly build my musical career outside those hours. This also includes meeting deadlines and very late nights, but very rewarding.
Yes, you have to hustle.

Top Bottom