Question About Cubase 10 Pro & the Steinberg (or Vienna) Key

PaulieDC

1967 Bizzarini GT 5300 Strada
I crossgraded from Studio One Pro to Cubase 10 Pro and have it running nicely on my tower. I'm not used to this STUPID mandatory USB stick that you have to have, so my question is in regards to a 2nd PC (laptop actually). To run Cubase on a laptop as a second instance, first I assume I get a second install, and do I have to yank out and use the same Steinberg Key for the laptop? Can I just buy a second Steinberg Key, set up the licensing however that works and keep that 2nd key with my laptop and run Cubase? Or do you have to use one Key for your separate installs?

Will Blackburn

You can install cubase on as many comps as you like from your mysteinberg account but Its one key per licence. So yeah you can use the key on multiple comps but if you want two keys you need to buy x2 cubases.

JamieLang

You can't use the soft elicenser for Cubase Pro unless something's changed really recently.

And you can't buy a second key (without buying a second license), because that constitutes a second license. You can literally install it on as many computers as you want, but you have to move the key around because it IS the license. Someone steals that key--you no longer own Cubase. Treat it accordingly.

OP
PaulieDC

PaulieDC

You can install cubase on as many comps as you like from your mysteinberg account but Its one key per licence. So yeah you can use the key on multiple comps but if you want two keys you need to buy x2 cubases.
OK, then one key it is. Wow. I'm spoiled. Studio One gives you 5 installs with a username and password, plus you can hop on your page on their site and deactivate as needed even if you don't have access to the computer. OK STEINBERG, time to catch up on licensing formats! o_O But PreSonus needs to catch up on multithreading and i9 support for Notion, so Cubase and an overpriced USB stick it is.

OP
PaulieDC

PaulieDC

I
You can't use the soft elicenser for Cubase Pro unless something's changed really recently.

And you can't buy a second key (without buying a second license), because that constitutes a second license. You can literally install it on as many computers as you want, but you have to move the key around because it IS the license. Someone steals that key--you no longer own Cubase. Treat it accordingly.
Steinberg needs to hop on Amazon and buy a clue.