What's new

Question about AD/DA Converters

Depends on how good the converters are on the 8200. Also depends on which clock you're using, the RayDAT's or the 8200 and how good those are. The RayDAT is outputting a digital signal so as long as that signal is stable you're fine. The AD/DA side of your setup will influence the final quality of the sound. Obviously monitoring conditions will also influence the sound, but that's the subject of another thread...

Best way to know for sure is to hear the difference yourself. If its possible for you to temporarily get your hands on another converter for a point of comparison that will go a long way to answering your question!
Thank you for the response! For the clock, I believe I am using the RayDAT's. It's connected to the 8200 by ADAT for in and out, and the 8200's word clock is in slave mode via ADAT. Does that mean that it's just passing the signal along without altering it?

I don't currently have another converter to test on, but I will try to do so! Thanks again.

I just recently purchased an RME HDSPe RayDAT and Behringer ADA 8200. In terms of D/A, am I creating a quality bottleneck by passing the signal through the slaved 8200? I am just using it as a cost effective breakout solution.

I'm sure lots of great music can be written listening through a Behringer. That said, I would never use an RME device and then put it through a Behringer for listening. Even though I don't know that RME device personally.

People make way too much out of all this, of course. A lot of music originates on inferior gear but is, nevertheless, enjoyed by millions. The Stray Cats' liner notes for their first album (a big hit in its day) said something to the effect that "this music was produced on the cheapest and most inferior equipment," which at the time I thought very funny.

So while I do see the Behringer stuff I've owned as very much beginner level that doesn't mean that it "doesn't work" or is useless or something. Besides, maybe what you have is really great -- I don't know that device at all. But if you're trying to get to hearing exactly what's going on with your sound, I'd stick with the RME.

[...]I'd stick with the RME.

Definitely, I forgot to mention that. Your RME is the strongest link in your chain. I use an RME AIO with a pretty good converter, and I don't hesitate that I'm getting an excellent digital signal from the RME. I just can't vouch for the 8200 because I don't know anything about it.

And what JohnG said about inferior equipment is all too true. Gear doesn't make music, you do! But to answer your question, yes all the RME is doing is passing along the digital signal without altering it. The converter is what has an effect on the final sound quality.

Top Bottom