What's new

Quartett against the Orchestra

Really like the beginning, nice tension, it promises a lot. Then the the woods shorts come in with the oboe line and they feel a bit out of the blue, but I get happy when the violin kicks in. However, in general there's a lack of cohesion (or simply legato) through the piece, as if it's not only a fragment but a bit fragmented as well. Nice melodic ideas that would lift more if the sound image was to be a bit more...whole, for lack of a better word. To reach the feeling of musicians really playing together, which would take some work with the dynamics, possibly also adding a touch more reverb, and also working more with the tempo map. If you could reach the feeling that all the parts are glued together this would be very nice.

Thank you for the honest feedback. I think I totally agree. I think the fragmentation within the pieces of music is one of my biggest challenges to overcome. Doing this more or less only as a hobby I still have not really figured out how to properly approach it.

I usually start with a piano track noodling around until I come up with a useful idea. One of the key problems I guess is that I am way to quickly departing from the sketch to tossing in all kinds of other instruments, which sparks all sorts of new ideas but eventually risk me getting carried away from the original.

This one here is no exception. Once I find the time I will have to detach the individual components to make a full story out of it.

Thank you for the honest feedback. I think I totally agree. I think the fragmentation within the pieces of music is one of my biggest challenges to overcome. Doing this more or less only as a hobby I still have not really figured out how to properly approach it.

I usually start with a piano track noodling around until I come up with a useful idea. One of the key problems I guess is that I am way to quickly departing from the sketch to tossing in all kinds of other instruments, which sparks all sorts of new ideas but eventually risk me getting carried away from the original.

This one here is no exception. Once I find the time I will have to detach the individual components to make a full story out of it.

I agree it's really hard to make it glue together, and I'm also just an amateur. I wasn't as blown away with Mike Vertas videos as everyone else, but I think his composition course would be a nice place to start where he talks about how ta create a theme and then develop it.

I think there's a lot of cool ideas going on here, but agree with the above about cohesion. My first reaction is this: 1. cut the intro (save for something else if you really love it?), 2. start the track at 0:08, have the violin/piano match the melody of the first oboe/bells melody for cohesion - just a change in color, 3. that way at 0:36 the change in melody is more of a bridge to a "chorus" or climax at 0:57. Maybe add back in the bells and/or oboe at 0:43 as well to bring that "theme" back. Just thoughts as I listen to it.. the sounds are great and the melodies are memorable but there are too many of them for my brain to keep track of. I echo the sentiment that @erikradbo makes about Mike Verta's videos.. I've been listening to them since the Labor Day sale and while I was hoping for more detail, his concepts in Composition 1 are super relevant to your track.

Top Bottom