Quantizing question about Cinematic Studio Strings and Solo Strings.

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by ag75, Apr 12, 2018.

1. ag75

ag75 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Nantucket
    I absolutely love these librarys and they sound so great blended together but I'm having trouble quantizing the midi data for these libraries. I have to push the midi so far in from to of the beat to get it to sound in the pocket. Does any one else have trouble with this? Or perhaps I'm doing something wrong? Thoughts and advice would be appreciated. Just trying to throw together a quick demo but I find I end up using other strings libraries that take less time to program.

2. matt_e

matt_e Member

Apr 9, 2018
  3. Jimmy Hellfire

Jimmy Hellfire Senior Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Austria
    If your DAW supports this (Cubase does), set all your tracks to -60 ms track delay. This will make the shorts 100% on point.
    Advanced legato will still lag behind, which is kind of the point with legato. Use the classic legato for playing and sequencing and switch to advanced legato when you're done for more realism.

dsblais likes this.
  4. williemyers

williemyers Senior Member

May 27, 2010
    hey guys - a question? if you advance tracks by a fixed amt., i.e. -60ms, isn't that going to make the repostioning of the midi data dependant on the tempo? wouldn't you rather want to advance the tracks by a fixed percentage?

5. Lee Blaske

Lee Blaske Senior Member

If you really need things to be tight, render the track to audio so you can align it visually.

dsblais likes this.
  6. Jay Panikkar

Jay Panikkar Introduce A Little Anarchy

Mar 3, 2018
    CSS retains the natural attack of the short articulation samples. By bringing in a negative delay, you're triggering the samples earlier so that the body of the note after the attack is on point.

7. Vadium

Vadium Senior Member

Jul 21, 2017
    What is a current version of CSS? Is there any updates released?

8. GuitarG

GuitarG Senior Member

Dec 9, 2016
    Have a look in the manual. It explains how much track delay you need
    Legato speeds are also dependent on key velocity

Tekkera likes this.
  9. Ihnoc

Ihnoc Senior Member

10. OP
    OP
    ag75

ag75 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Nantucket
    Just saw this response, this really helped me. Thanks for this!

11. midiman

midiman Senior Member

May 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    There is a way to deal with this effectively in Cubase. Check Midiman's post on this page: https://vi-control.net/community/threads/cinematic-studio-strings.54192/page-48