What's new

Putting an end to silly DAW wars on this forum?

Ashermusic

Can we all please agree to stipulate to the following:

1. A DAW is a tool, not a religion.

2. Every major DAW has users who create good music with it and those who create bad music with it.

3. No DAW is perfect and each has at least a feature or two that users of other DAWs might well like.

4. Insisting repeatedly that your DAW of choice is better than the others is a waste of time.

5. When asked about what you like about your DAW, it is perfectly fine to do so, but it can and should be done without knocking others.

I think we can stop wasting time and bandwidth by simply agreeing to this.

I don't have much to add here, but I just remembered an event quite interesting which I'd like to share.

I used to be an instructor at an audio engineering school here in Canada, and one day I was at the office speaking to the program manager about something... Anyway he told me right to my face that "Everyone knows Cubase is a toy DAW, terrible", in reaction to my suggestion about installing a copy of Cubase on the machines as it's my main sequencer.

I ignored him altogether, but I found it ironic! I like how Hans Zimmer referred to Cubase in one of Steinberg's promotional videos: As a laboratory.

And since when do we have good or bad laboratories? It is a place of experimentation, it is the scientist inside who makes the difference.

Cheers

I used to be an instructor at an audio engineering school here in Canada, and one day I was at the office speaking to the program manager about something... Anyway he told me right to my face that "Everyone knows Cubase is a toy DAW, terrible", in reaction to my suggestion about installing a copy of Cubase on the machines as it's my main sequencer.

Lol! I'm also in Canada....I actually had a client walk out of my studio because I wasn't using Pro Tools for composing/producing his score. He was baffled, and couldn't understand how I could work without it in a professional setting.

Lol! I'm also in Canada....I actually had a client walk out of my studio because I wasn't using Pro Tools for composing/producing his score. He was baffled, and couldn't understand how I could work without it in a professional setting.
I am baffled... but I personally wouldn't want to work with such people anyway. Quite a positive thing happened in your case.

Sometimes I wonder why some people like to work with certain DAWs (every time I have to open one of them I get chills).
But I think DAWs are like food, different people have different tastes.

The only thing I want to say in a DAW discussion: If you feel that your DAW doesn't fit your workflow, (or for beginners: after days the DAW still feels alien to you), just test another DAW and see if it fits you better.

1. A DAW is a tool, not a religion.

Freedom of religion is a fundamental right. Who are you to say what constitutes a religion and what does not?

I come from a very long ancestral line of DAW worshipers, who often were persecuted and thus had to keep their studio monitor volumes down very low to avoid detection from oppressive theocratic authorities when practicing their sacred DAW ceremonies. Do we really want to return to those Dark Times? ;)

Sometimes I wonder why some people like to work with certain DAWs (every time I have to open one of them I get chills).
But I think DAWs are like food, different people have different tastes.

The only thing I want to say in a DAW discussion: If you feel that your DAW doesn't fit your workflow, (or for beginners: after days the DAW still feels alien to you), just test another DAW and see if it fits you better.

The best DAW is the DAW you know how to use best.

Freedom of religion is a fundamental right. Who are you to say what constitutes a religion and what does not?

I come from a very long ancestral line of DAW worshipers, who often were persecuted and thus had to keep their studio monitor volumes down very low to avoid detection from oppressive theocratic authorities when practicing their sacred DAW ceremonies. Do we really want to return to those Dark Times? ;)

ROTL! Good one, Quasar

Top Bottom