What's new

Purchasing Grace M900 headphone amp - suggested pro level phones?

Rob Elliott

The new phones from Neumann NDh-20 look really good (not out for another few weeks)

https://www.neumann.com/homestudio/en/ndh-20

But some of the other ones that would likely be 'same class' as the Grace amp would be:

1. Sennheiser 650
2. Adam SP-5
3. AKG 701

Thoughts for those who own this Grace HF amp? (of course certainly welcome those to comment using another amp of equal quality/performance)

I am using NOW the AKG K271 (which in their class are not that bad).

Hey Rob,
I have the DT1990s with the Rupert Neve Amp while running Sonarworks and my mixes have never sounded better when using headphones at night and then checking on monitors the next morning. I was using AKG K712s and my mixes always sound waaaaaaay unbalanced when I checked on my monitors. The AKGs sound very nice, but they lack low end — even when using Sonarworks. The DT1990s, on the other hand, have excellent low end extension for an open backed headphone and have translated really well. However, know that headphones are very subjective and may not match your mind’s ear of how something should sound. What I mean is your brain gets used to a certain sound with your monitors/room, then when you put on headphones, the sound is different. In my case, the DT1990s sounded closer to my monitors/room than the AKGs do/did. Anyway, I do recommend the DT1990s (or the DT1770s) over the DT770, 880, 990s. Good luck!

Yea - looking at reviews the DT1990 seems like the smart move. Thanks guys - going to order. :)

I use DT880 with my m900 but I normally use the m900 as a DA and a THX 789 as the amp. If I were upgrading my headphones I'd probably go with the DT 1990.
I just ordered a pair to get me by until my Focal Twin that just died gets repaired. Ugh....not the way I wanted to try new headphones but I have projects rolling. I’m pretty excited to try them regardless of the circumstance.

I just ordered a pair to get me by until my Focal Twin that just died gets repaired. Ugh....not the way I wanted to try new headphones but I have projects rolling. I’m pretty excited to try them regardless of the circumstance.
Bummer - looking forward to my amp and phones arriving soon. It get the impression that 'wearing' these should be comfortable for you (not sure about 12 hrs straight though) - take lots breaks. ;)

Would not have believed it without hearing. That cable suggestion came from Bernie Grundman mastering engineer.

I used to be scornful of expensive cables too. Then I changed them out and wowsa -- huge difference in clarity and awareness of the sound.

Although I don't have that particular one.

That’s what I think still. Would not have believed it without hearing. That cable suggestion came from Bernie Grundman mastering engineer.
I never paid attention to cables until a cheap XLR mic cable began emitting some weird, low volume electrical noises, so I did some websearching, found a "better" one with Neutrik gold and superior insulation, wire-weaving or whatever, and the noises went away completely.

This is one of those things I'm tempted to look into, but since I will not be spending $600 on a headphone cable regardless of what I conclude, it's probably not worth the trouble. It is interesting though, and I wouldn't dismiss the worth or legitimacy out-of-hand.

Top Bottom