Prokofiev - The Child Juliet

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by Land of Missing Parts, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Land of Missing Parts

Land of Missing Parts No Time for Honky-Tonk

Jan 27, 2013
    Hogwarts
    What time is it? Prokofiev time. I'm trying to work on my woodwinds chops, as well as learn more about reverb and mixing.

Feel free to let me know how to improve this.

Berlin Woodwinds (legacy)
    Cinematic Studio Strings/Fluid Shorts

From Prokofiev's ballet Romeo and Juliet.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    ka00, Maxime Luft, whiskers and 6 others like this.
  2. Rob

Rob Senior Member

Aug 23, 2007
    I feel that for most part of the piece the strings are too close and loud, compared to the woodwinds. Or maybe the ww are too weak and not defined enough, like they are at the end of a long corridor... I think the best thing to do in this case is grab the bull by its horns (italian saying) and mute all strings while you work on woodwinds until they sound like a coherent ensemble, no mumbling, clearly speaking out their phrases... then you may unmute the strings and find the balance...

Land of Missing Parts likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Land of Missing Parts

Jan 27, 2013
    Hogwarts
    Thanks Rob, I will do this. Yes, I do think the strings have too much bite compared to the winds.

EDIT: Now it is updated to push the winds forward in the mix and define them better.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  4. Consona

Consona Senior Member

Aug 5, 2011
    So why did you have to use fluid shorts when having CSS?

5. OP
    OP
    Land of Missing Parts

Jan 27, 2013
    Hogwarts
    Here is a comparison of how Fluid Shorts handles a fast string passage from this song (close mic only)

---

Versus CSS spiccatos (default mix only)

---

CSS sounds shorter and more mechanical to my ear, though I could probably do some work to finesse the performance of it. Easier just to use Fluid Shorts, which is tailor-made for the situation, though. Fluid Shorts sounds more natural and connected, as the "fluid" would indicate, although of course it's not connected in the sense that it's not slurred.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    Consona and TheSigillite like this.