What's new

"Crucible" - Church Organ Freebie

Nils Neumann

Hey Composers out there, this is my first attempt to create a VI, a Church Organ. This is a free Kontakt instrument, if you are not interested in the background story, just scroll down to the download Link;)

„Behind the VI“

A few months ago I was very curious how I can create my own sample library, most of us know the theory: rr, mic-position, scripting, seamless loops, dynamic layers, etc. So I tried to sample an acoustic guitar in my little studio. Pretty simple stuff, with only 1 note with 3 dynamic layers, 3 round-robins and 1 mic. Probably the shitiest VI which I have ever witnessed. The whole process of recording those samples and combining them with a sample player taught me a lot about professional Libraries and how to use them.
So I thought I step it up and go for the biggest Instrument I know, the Organ (yes, I was inspired by the Interstellar soundtrack).

The Recording Session:

I asked a local church for permission and we were allowed to use it for 8 hours. A good friend of mine, a studio owner, helped me out with all the equipment and the mic placing on-site. It took us 3 hours to get everything ready and realize how this organ thing works. We even found some Neumann microphones in the church, which happen to be the main mics for this library. The Important lesson I learn from the recording step is to take your time. I was so overwhelmed with all the different possibilities that I was a bit in a hurry to get everything done, but in the end, only the patches with enough recording time made it to a finished patch.

The rough samples were pretty noisy, RX5 helped me out a lot. It’s incredible how effective their denoising is. I spend endless hours cutting all the samples and naming them (2000+ samples), this process was pretty horrible and boring. But check out Reaper for sample editing, it will save you a lot of time. The Scripting stage was pretty frustrating, but I’m glad that I understand the basics now and hopefully be much quicker on my next Library. Quick side note: Nobody will be impressed if you show them, after weeks of scripting including hundreds of errors, a knob that works...^^
EvilDragon is all over the internet if you google for Kontakt script, a big thanks to you. He is one of the invaluable persons in this community!
And of course a big thanks to all the people on VI-Control, who answered my stupid little questions, you help me out a lot!

Updated Version:

This library is now renamed "Crucible" and is available for free through Orchestral Tools "Sine Factory".

It comes with a few improvements compared to the Kontakt version.
-No buggy interface, mic positions now load up correctly upon reloading a session.
-You don't need the full Kontakt version, only the freely available Sine player. Now it's truly free.
-Keyswitches are no available.
-All the samples are now Looped.
-Comes with the Sine features, like mic merging.

Here is a short walkthrough I made:

and here are some demos:

Enjoy!;)

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2017-05-08 um 21.31.56.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2017-05-08 um 21.31.56.png
    204.6 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Congrats on your release. That's a pretty massive project for the first time! Oh and nice interface. I never have figured out how to create those pesky sliders.

I think this is Fantastic, Congratulations on a great accomplishment Nils! I truly hope it somehow pays off for you.

Thank you Nils.

Be sure to also post a note in the thread at the top of this subform for freebies this way it will be easy to find in the future once this post gets pushed down.

Sounds great, the close mics have a very solid sound, and adding the mono to it adds a little fatness. :) Would be great to have an nki that keyswitches shorts and sus, or put shorts on high velocity, sus on low velocity (below 110). Also adding the pedals to the bottom open octave of this combo would be nice.

Thank you for all the kind words!

Thank you Nils.

Be sure to also post a note in the thread at the top of this subform for freebies this way it will be easy to find in the future once this post gets pushed down.

good reminder, done;)

Sounds great, the close mics have a very solid sound, and adding the mono to it adds a little fatness. :) Would be great to have an nki that keyswitches shorts and sus, or put shorts on high velocity, sus on low velocity (below 110). Also adding the pedals to the bottom open octave of this combo would be nice.

A keyswitching option would be interesting, but the Pedals are mostly sampled in Octaves (on the recording session we thought that the low pedals in octaves sound incredible). When you add the Pedals to the "Full Sus/Stac", patch they would be way to loud. You will get a more convincing mockup when you treat every manual/pedal on their own.
All those things came to my mind when we finished the recording in the church^^

Top Bottom