What's new

Problems with an OWC Thunderblade v4 8Tb SSD and an iMac Pro. HELP PLEASE!

OP
VHCMusic

VHCMusic

www.vhcmusic.com
FYI @VHCMusic there is a new version of Soft Raid available. It is now in v6, with support for new M1 macs and Big Sur. I don't know if this helps, but thought I would share.
Thanks!

Finally I got to solve the problem. It wasn't related to the Thunderblade, or the iMac Pro. It was apparently the latest version of Kontakt 6. Kontakt v6.5.3, and its new way of searching for missing samples libraries. SoftRAID seemed also to have some kind of weird interaction with my DAW, not completely sure why...but I uninstalled SoftRAID v6 and configured the Thunderblade as a RAID 0 directly through the Mac Disk Utility and now everything runs smoothly, and super fast. Didn't have problems again. I honestly don't know the real advantages of having SoftRAID installed... so I'm fine with the "normal" RAID 0 configuration for the Thunderblade. It seems I'm getting enough space for at least the next 5-6 years in terms of libraries with (now) a super nice performance!

Again, thank you so much for worrying and for the help everybody gave me on this post! Such a pleasure being a member of this forum :)

rnb_2

Rick Baumhauer
You should probably let SoftRAID know about the issue - I'm sure they'd like to get that fixed. If you're only running RAID 0, there probably isn't a big advantage to using SoftRAID vs Apple RAID (probably slightly less overhead) - you'd see more benefit if you were running RAID 4/5 (which probably goes without saying, since I don't think Apple RAID can do anything beyond 0/1).

Last edited:
OP
VHCMusic

VHCMusic

www.vhcmusic.com
You should probably let SoftRAID know about the issue - I'm sure they'd like to get that fixed. If you're only running RAID 0, there probably isn't a big advantage to using SoftRAID vs Apple RAID (probably slightly less overhead) - you'd see more benefit if you were running RAID 4/5 (which probably goes without saying, since I don't think Apple RAID can do anything beyond 0/1).
Yes...actually this is the latest solution OWC proposed.

They didn't know what could be happening... And I don't really know what happened with SoftRAID... I am only using the Thunderblade for samples libraries with the idea of having more than enough storage, and of course low times when reading the libraries. I'm really happy with it now that it is working nicely.

Also contacted last week NI support about the problem with Kontakt, they asked for downloading an app that evaluates some things and create a report that is useful for them....Today they contacted me again asking me for a screenshot about the security-privacy configuration and hopefully they detect where is the mistake so they can work on that in the new update of Kontakt once it's ready. Really hate these kinds of problems and hopefully nobody else needs to suffer from this specific one.

Brobdingnagian

@VHCMusic did NI ever get back to you with more information about your particular problem?

Also, when you re-formatted the drive for Raid 0 using the Apple Disk Utility, which chunk/block/stripe size did you use? 32mb, 64 or 128 - just curious....

Many thanks!

OP
VHCMusic

VHCMusic

www.vhcmusic.com
@VHCMusic did NI ever get back to you with more information about your particular problem?

Also, when you re-formatted the drive for Raid 0 using the Apple Disk Utility, which chunk/block/stripe size did you use? 32mb, 64 or 128 - just curious....

Many thanks!
Sorry for the late response! Was about to answer yesterday but got busy at the same moment and then I forgot about it!

NI asked me for a couple of screenshots once I sent them the report generated by that app they provided me, and after that, I tried myself to install an older version of Kontakt 6 ( 6.4.2 ) and then everything was working, so I told them about it....and they said that was weird, because there were not more problems registered with missing libraries in the current version of Kontakt. I'm still working with the 6.4.2, and I think I only have one library that is not working because it needs newer version of Kontakt.... and I barely used it anyway, so everything is fine for now.

About the RAID 0....honestly I don't remember exactly. I think it was 128 due to the size of the files ( I had no idea about these things, so at that moment searched for some information on the internet and selected that option that was supposedly the best one for reading big files). Sorry I can't say better.

Thanks for worrying! :)

yellow hat

Thanks!

Finally I got to solve the problem. It wasn't related to the Thunderblade, or the iMac Pro. It was apparently the latest version of Kontakt 6. Kontakt v6.5.3, and its new way of searching for missing samples libraries. SoftRAID seemed also to have some kind of weird interaction with my DAW, not completely sure why...but I uninstalled SoftRAID v6 and configured the Thunderblade as a RAID 0 directly through the Mac Disk Utility and now everything runs smoothly, and super fast. Didn't have problems again. I honestly don't know the real advantages of having SoftRAID installed... so I'm fine with the "normal" RAID 0 configuration for the Thunderblade. It seems I'm getting enough space for at least the next 5-6 years in terms of libraries with (now) a super nice performance!

Again, thank you so much for worrying and for the help everybody gave me on this post! Such a pleasure being a member of this forum :)
Hey!
I also have a Thunderblade (4TB)
Experiencing the same thing on a iMac 27” 2020 (new bought two weeks ago)
I’m on Catalina 10.15.7 and Logic Pro 10.6.3.
I uninstalled SoftRaid XT also
Super weird because its a fast machine but I get random freeze in logic and the iMac automatically reboots.
Totally out of the blue.
Disabled the T2 security boot also.
Any tips you can give?

Regards

Jakob

OP
VHCMusic

VHCMusic

www.vhcmusic.com
Hey!
I also have a Thunderblade (4TB)
Experiencing the same thing on a iMac 27” 2020 (new bought two weeks ago)
I’m on Catalina 10.15.7 and Logic Pro 10.6.3.
I uninstalled SoftRaid XT also
Super weird because its a fast machine but I get random freeze in logic and the iMac automatically reboots.
Totally out of the blue.
Disabled the T2 security boot also.
Any tips you can give?

Regards

Jakob
Not sure Jakob, in my case it all ended up being a problem with the Kontakt version I had at that moment. I installed an older version and everything started working nicely. I updated later to more recent Kontakt versions and everything is working well since then. Also I configured the Thunderblade as a RAID 0, and I'm not using the SoftRaid XT which I uninstalled.

Maybe you can try with older versions of Kontakt? which version are you using currently? Did you configure your Thunderblade as a RAID 0?

yellow hat

Not sure Jakob, in my case it all ended up being a problem with the Kontakt version I had at that moment. I installed an older version and everything started working nicely. I updated later to more recent Kontakt versions and everything is working well since then. Also I configured the Thunderblade as a RAID 0, and I'm not using the SoftRaid XT which I uninstalled.

Maybe you can try with older versions of Kontakt? which version are you using currently? Did you configure your Thunderblade as a RAID 0?
Hey!
Thunderbolt is Raid 0
And I think it actually reads faster with Apple Raid knstead of SoftRaid XT.
I’m on Kontakt 5.8.1
For Catalina I believe 5.7.3 is the lowest you can go?I’ll try that
I’m even considering open/save all sessions as Kontakt 6 instead.
Its just weird because the freeze is completely random.
And I never experienced a freeze of everything (cant do anything) and an automatic reboot following.

OP
VHCMusic

VHCMusic

www.vhcmusic.com
Hey!
Thunderbolt is Raid 0
And I think it actually reads faster with Apple Raid knstead of SoftRaid XT.
I’m on Kontakt 5.8.1
For Catalina I believe 5.7.3 is the lowest you can go?I’ll try that
I’m even considering open/save all sessions as Kontakt 6 instead.
Its just weird because the freeze is completely random.
And I never experienced a freeze of everything (cant do anything) and an automatic reboot following.
I am using the latest version of Kontakt now and for me it works perfectly. Also in Catalina 10.15.7 and in Logic Pro 10.6.3. Maybe you can try with Kontakt 6.6.1 (R139)... I have it configured with the Disk utility as a RAID 0 too.... and it works super fast and smoothly for me. Sorry to hear you are having issues!

yellow hat

I am using the latest version of Kontakt now and for me it works perfectly. Also in Catalina 10.15.7 and in Logic Pro 10.6.3. Maybe you can try with Kontakt 6.6.1 (R139)... I have it configured with the Disk utility as a RAID 0 too.... and it works super fast and smoothly for me. Sorry to hear you are having issues!
I’ll try 6.6.1
But are you not using Kontak 5 at all?
I have to for backwards compability of older projects...🤦🏼‍♂️

OP
VHCMusic

VHCMusic

www.vhcmusic.com
No... I updated to Kontakt 6 once it was available, and didn't go back to Kontakt 6. Most of newest libraries only work in Kontakt 6....

One thing I usually do is exporting all the patches as audio files for every project.... and in that way I don't really need Kontakt for getting the stems or mute any instrument as needed...even if I open the project years later. Maybe you can try that too from now.

yellow hat

No... I updated to Kontakt 6 once it was available, and didn't go back to Kontakt 6. Most of newest libraries only work in Kontakt 6....

One thing I usually do is exporting all the patches as audio files for every project.... and in that way I don't really need Kontakt for getting the stems or mute any instrument as needed...even if I open the project years later. Maybe you can try that too from now.
Yes and Amen!
That IS something I started to do and kicckng myself for not having done a long time ago.
Still have those old projects that resurface and I have to use an old computer to launch🤦🏼‍♂️
Thanks for the chat!

yellow hat

Yes and Amen!
That IS something I started to do and kicckng myself for not having done a long time ago.
Still have those old projects that resurface and I have to use an old computer to launch🤦🏼‍♂️
Thanks for the chat!
It was the memory modules!!!
Man thats crazy
I installed the Apple Ram that came with iMac and no more freeze🤦🏼‍♂️

WandaS

I'm assuming your running in RAID 0.
Just as a test you could try turning off SIP and see if there's a difference.

Top Bottom