What's new

Problem with new Windows 10 updates of 8 Nov 2016 and Kontakt (?)

C.R. Rivera

Popper @ his favorite toy.
Mods, please relocate if in the wrong forum.

Folks, my Kontakt had been fine in Standalone and with Reaper. However, earlier today I installed the new W10 updates, and installed the new Soundiron Theremin. No ability to locate my Kontakt libraries on HDD E: drive. I could see them on the drive, but not on Kontakt's options to re-add even though the path was listed in the options window. I re-scanned, no luck, I deleted the path and re-added, no luck.

Fortunately, I had created a restore point before updating W10, restored it successfully, and voila, Kontakt was again properly working, except for two items: Windows 10 wants me to update, again, and, SI Theremin, while located in the proper directory, is not showing in my library path. I copied the library, created a temp directory on the E: drive, and it shows up on both methods of Kontakt.

I sent SI an email about the non-display, but am more concerned with the W10 updates doing "damage" to my current and working Kontakt installation. Anyone else experienced this scenario yet?

Cheers

Carlos

Oh boy!! that's bad news. I kind of got a new rig with Win10 a few months back and i haven't done any updates on the system for like a month. Knowing that you have come across a issue like this is making not go and do any updates to the system. Although i can't remember where, but i saw someone else mention a similar issue about an entire partition being missing or something like that after an update in Win10...which is even worse. What on earth is Microsoft doing really?:cautious:

Hello again folks,

ED, I have the full and current update for Kontakt, and it was the Nov 8 updates for W10. But I did hear from SI:.

"This could be a Kontakt registry issue or a windows drive mapping issue. I'd [re-]install the windows update, then make sure Kontakt is working and if need be, you may need to re-install Kontakt itself and make sure it's activated in NI Service Center and can read the drives you have installed on your system. Theremin+ isn't a Kontakt player library, so as long as it's located on a drive that your OS and Kontakt can locate and read from, then it should be fine."

I am very wary of the updates :)

cheers

Carlos

I will try it again in the morning, but first to make sure my restore point is solid. :)

Also fine here. Updated it on my slave once I saw this to test it and no issues for me. I just wish they would fix the resizing bug in K5.6.1. Hopefully it is being worked on now.

OK, after restoring my last Acronis backup, I did a manual installation of the big Windows update and voila, everything is fine :)

I updated from windows 7 ultimate to windows 10. The Kernel driver was making a mess in real time performance. I tried to reinstall it, put it back, eliminated.... nothing. Revert back to windows 7 and the real time is better than ever. I am afraid that windows 10 is not there yet. Other than the real time performance been really bad, kontakt was behaving correctly.

I am afraid that windows 10 is not there yet

I can't agree with this statement, which is overly broad. I have four slave PCs running Windows 10 and they are all fine. I'm not updating Kontakt any time soon though; 5.5 is all that's required for my libraries and there is no benefit I'm interested in from the 5.6 update.

I can't agree with this statement, which is overly broad. I have four slave PCs running Windows 10 and they are all fine. I'm not updating Kontakt any time soon though; 5.5 is all that's required for my libraries and there is no benefit I'm interested in from the 5.6 update.
Is your daw also based on windows 10 ? If so, can you please share if you ever had any issues like the one i commented or your systems specs so i can try again please. I liked more the windows 10 look and workflow. But it didn't work for me. Thanks in advance.

My Windows 10 computer keeps trying to update, gets stuck at 35%, and goes into limbo for 5 minutes undoing the update, restarting, undoing a little more, restarting again, and finally - restarting! It's doing that since a week or so, I'm not sure if it's the Nov 8th update or something earlier. And, while it's painful to witness - I'm also somehow amused by it. :)

I have four slave PCs running Windows 10 and they are all fine.
John, are you using Windows 10 Professional on your slaves?
I have the standard Windows 10 and it want to do updates fairly often which sometimes take several hours at inconvenient times. During the last update, my SSD managed to get fried as well (ouch!). I've heard that Windows 10 Professional allows better management of when updates occur. Being a PC noob, I'm not sure what the best choice is.

I haven't updated Win 10 Professional (on my slave PC for about 7 months). I don't connect it to the internet unless it's to update a library or Activate a license. Who would have thought that not having a computer connected to the internet leads to ZERO Windows problems! Man, the word "Format" is a distant memory now. Instead, I can now spend all that lost time on VI Control and watching Sample Library videos. Sorry, I mean't get on with writing music.

My Windows 10 computer keeps trying to update, gets stuck at 35%, and goes into limbo for 5 minutes undoing the update, restarting, undoing a little more, restarting again, and finally - restarting! It's doing that since a week or so, I'm not sure if it's the Nov 8th update or something earlier. And, while it's painful to witness - I'm also somehow amused by it. :)

I have something similar to this on one of my slaves. It keeps trying to update, gets to about 90% and then says it couldn't complete the update. One of these days when I have some free time I'll probably reinstall unless I can find a fix. It's annoying more than anything.

Otherwise for OP I am running 2 slaves and a Master with Cubase all on Windows 10 without any major issue. I've just been letting them update whenever, though they are all deferred.

]
I also thwart updates by almost never connecting them to the Internet. Take THAT, Microsoft!!
Good idea! However, my computers are connected via ethernet so I can use VE Pro and thus inherently connected to the net. I guess I'll just be careful of where I browse on the net? Or am I living dangerously this way still?

Or am I living dangerously this way still?

I like VE Pro and use it on all my computers that have samples, but in standalone mode. I use hardware for audio and MidiOverLANPC for midi. Consequently, I don't need to set up those PC slave so they are on the internet all the time. I'm not sure, in your situation, if there is a good way around that issue.

Mind you, I am not recommending that approach -- I already owned it all so just kept going.

Top Bottom