What's new

Problem with Cubase 5 and Cubase 8 Projects

Luciano Rizzi

Hello to everybody,
I'm having problem since I normally use Cubase 5 and Cubase 8 which both save Projects as .cpr file (Windows 7)
Now , Cubase 8 can open Projects done with Cubase 5 but Cubase 5 gives a bunch of errors or crashes
if I open a project done in Cubase 8.
I frequently put the version number in the saved files ( i.e. Project_Cub5.cpr.... or Project_Cub8.cpr)
so know which one to use . Unfortunately also the Icons of the Projects are the same and I have a lot of files .cpr
which I don't remember if done with C5 or C8 . And , to complicate everything, if I right click on a .cpr file
to set it to "Open with...." all the files .cpr are opened with one or all with the other
Any suggestion ?
Thanks in advance

Why not stick to Cubase 8 only?
Because it is Cubase 8 LE with very limited functions and I use only for some Mixing
and for using Chord Track
Apart this I will never leave Cubase 5 because in my opinion is one of the best DAW (stable,reliable and full of tools that after 10 years I still don't know)

Because it is Cubase 8 LE with very limited functions and I use only for some Mixing
and for using Chord Track
Apart this I will never leave Cubase 5 because in my opinion is one of the best DAW (stable,reliable and full of tools that after 10 years I still don't know)

Ah, ok. Fair enough.

I save names like C6_SongName.CPR.....C10_Songname.CPR

If I open a C6 in C10, before I do anything I "save as"....because yes--there's NEVER been a way to do that. Sometimes it will "work" if you've not utilized any feature specific to the uplevel. But, you won't REALLY know....until it doesn't open--and you're pooched.

I save names like C6_SongName.CPR.....C10_Songname.CPR

If I open a C6 in C10, before I do anything I "save as"....because yes--there's NEVER been a way to do that. Sometimes it will "work" if you've not utilized any feature specific to the uplevel. But, you won't REALLY know....until it doesn't open--and you're pooched.
Thanks Jamie
It is exactly the "troubles" I encounter. I use the same files naming since long time but unfortunately
I have many files "not marked" (simply .cpr) and when I open them I have 50% possibility to load on the right Cubase (but -of course- normally it is the wrong one) To complicate things it happens that Cubase 5 can open without problem the files created with Cubase 8 ( and this is curious, because normally an older version cannot load files done with a newer version) . And sometimes everything is loaded but with warning message if I have used inserts or plugins which were different.
I've tried also to change icons of C5 and C8 but unsuccesfully . Also the option "Open with" does not work because the .cpr file is linked to one or to the other Cubase.
It is not a very big problem , it's only a waste of time : I will open with one of them and if it is the correct one I will resave putting C5 or C8 in the name . If it is wrong I know it was done with the other.
Thanks

I don't usually just double click files. I open then from inside the program....but, I just right clicked and my "open With" for a CPR literally just shows both my C6 and C10 with their different icons. Maybe you need to choose Open With.... "another program" and browse for the one that's not shown once...

Dear Jamie
Unfortunately this does not work with my Cubase 5 and 8 . The Icons are exactly the same
and if I right click >Open with and choose Cubase 5 then all .cpr are setted to be opened with Cubase 5
and if I choose Cubase 8 all .cpr will point to Cubase 8 .

I don't think they need different icons...but, it might be a Win10 v 7 thing that both mine show up.

It only changes file association permanently if you select "always open with". I'm saying I don't do that--I open with....choose C6....another time I "open with" and choose C10...eventually, all CPR files, which I right click and "open with" I get those two options directly in the menu.

Dear Jamie,
Yes , at the end - adding a new key in the Register (regedit) I also can see the 2 Cubase versions if
I click "open with.." (I see Cubase 5 and Cubase 8 LE) . Thus there are no problem with recent files
because I have named "....project C5.cpr or ...project C8.cpr ". The problem remains for the hundred previous files which are simply ....project.cpr. And the subsequent problem is if I open them with double click : it opens using the Cubase version (C5 or C8) I have used last time in "Open with ".
Example : If I bring a file and do Open with C5 , from now on all the .cpr files (if double clicked) opens
with C5 and viceversa . So , once I will have indicated C5 or C8 in all the file names , I will always open them using >Open with (and never by double clicking).
Thus we could close this thread saying that I will chase all the pending .cpr files and see with which version they are working and re-save including suffix C5 or C8 in the name .... and -of course-
opening them in the future only using right click ... Open with.

In the meantime I found eventually another way for the future :
I see that when saving projects with Cubase 5 , it allows to use "any file"in addition to .cpr
(this is not available in C8) . So If I save C5 projects with a different Suffix (i.e .cpr5)
and then bring a . cpr5 file > Open with > Cubase 5 , from then all the .cpr5 will open only with C5
while the other .cpr will open with C8 . This will probably be the only "simple" chance to differentiate
the projects of the 2 versions and allowing them to run by double clicking.

Top Bottom