What's new

Pro Tools or Logic

Nirvana

Hi Guys,

I am using exclusively Pro Tools for production as I often record live stuff and love it.

However I use it also for orchestral mock-up. I can always see people using Logic or Cubase in this forum.

Are those Daw really better than Pro Tools for midi stuff (I got Logic as I am on mac). Do you think there would be a benefit to use Logic to create mock up and then mix the stem in Pro tools, or time wasted ?

Jeremy Spencer

If you’re already familiar with PT, and it’s working for you, then I personally wouldn’t bother learning a new DAW. From what I understand, PT has come a long way with its midi editing features. I don’t think you’re missing out on anything.

Reactions: pkm

cqd

Another pro tools user here..I tried to switch to Cubase a couple of years ago, but kept going back to PT if I wanted to actually do something..
Yeah, could probably with a midi update, but it does everything I need too, so..

Alex Fraser

Requires ☕️
I guess that depends - does Logic have some features that you'd like to get your grubby mitts on? If you're just looking to convert your PT workflow then like others have said, stick with what you know.

Look at Logic if there are things the program does (for you) that PT doesn't and you can see an immediate benefit for yourself.
My 2c.

Dietz

Space Explorer
As soon as you're serious about audio work, the questions doesn't arise. If you do a lot of mostly MIDI-based work, the decision might be more difficult.

In earlier years I would have suggested to switch to Nuendo (or Cubase) for best of both worlds, but there are some serious flaws in more recent versions, especially in the finer details of audio-related features.

I'd say - stick to ProTools, especially when you're used to it's tried-and-tested (others say: conservative) approach.

Gabriel S.

Hi Guys,

I am using exclusively Pro Tools for production as I often record live stuff and love it.

However I use it also for orchestral mock-up. I can always see people using Logic or Cubase in this forum.

Are those Daw really better than Pro Tools for midi stuff (I got Logic as I am on mac). Do you think there would be a benefit to use Logic to create mock up and then mix the stem in Pro tools, or time wasted ?

Jeff Russo uses ProTools for composing (+ vep pro), as far as I know...

I also tried moving to Cubase, but I didn't like some workflows and I was missing some features. Went back to PT + vep pro, and very happy.

Mishabou

Hi Guys,

I use all 3 DAW on a regular basis since 2015 and they are all great tools. From basic midi to complex orchestral mock up with huge templates, PT is more than capable.

If you already know PT and enjoy its workflow, why bother switching.

hdsmile

I also would like switch to PT, could someone tell a bit more about MIDI workflow, it's really comfortable to work with and what about libraries key switching?

dflood

My amateur 2 cents: I used PT (and its expensive hardware) for years. That was when I was exclusively recording and mixing audio. Anyone want to buy a mint condition Digi002? Then I switched from Windows to a Mac just so I could use Logic, and I haven’t looked back. Now I work almost exclusively with midi. Protools is obviously an industry standard for pros, and I’m sure its midi capabilities have grown, but for Mac users at least, Logic offers an unbeatable set of features, instruments, effects plugins, and sounds.

cqd

To the people using ve pro with pro tools.. how are you using it?..I kind of gave up on it a couple of years ago, but I wouldn't mind putting another couple of templates together with it soon enough..

Mainly wondering about instances and how they're connected..

Gabriel S.

To the people using ve pro with pro tools.. how are you using it?..I kind of gave up on it a couple of years ago, but I wouldn't mind putting another couple of templates together with it soon enough..

Mainly wondering about instances and how they're connected..
What's was your problem exactly?

Well I have 1 instance per orchestra section + 2 xtra instances with variable stuff depending on the project. In protools everything is organised with several layers of routing folders. I have 1 aux per instance with Vep loaded in it and then several instrument tracks or midi tracks, depending on the amount of instruments and articulations. So I use max 16 midi ports and as many audio outputs as I can (I don't use keyswitches, I have all articulations loaded independently)

Gabriel S.

I also would like switch to PT, could someone tell a bit more about MIDI workflow, it's really comfortable to work with and what about libraries key switching?
MIDI workflow is fine for me, it has all the essentials IMHO. A bit too much laggy when I try to load all midi tracks together in the midi editor to check the overall picture of all voicings and orchestration, that's the only thing I don't like (or opening the score editor, a bit laggy too in my case). The rest if fine for me, but each person has different tastes, workflows and practices...

I'm using the very last PT version, which was a great update coming from an older PT 12 and the reason why I abandoned my Cubase venture (for now).

No keyswitching for me, I prefer to combine articulations than just using 1 at a time. Also, I am faster without key switching.

Top Bottom