Pro Tools & Cubase V.I. tracking question

jaketanner

Hi all,

So I have a question as to what methods you guys use to track your MIDI within PT and Cubase. I am new to Cubase so I only know about rendering the MIDI tracks, but in PT, my preferred method is to set up a bus output into a stereo audio track...I find It sounds closest to the original. In a pinch, I have also done the drag and drop from MIDI track to Audio track...but don't 100% trust this method to be identical to the original...I have yet to really use the commit feature.

What methods do you all use?

Thanks.

Havoc911

I just insert an instrument track and record. The only time I worry about bouncing to audio is when I prepare to mix. I export the individual tracks I need for mixing and then import them into a new session.

Having switched to Cubase from Pro Tools years ago, I think you'll find that you don't need to employ most of the tricks you found necessary with PT.

OP
jaketanner

jaketanner

I just insert an instrument track and record. The only time I worry about bouncing to audio is when I prepare to mix. I export the individual tracks I need for mixing and then import them into a new session.

Having switched to Cubase from Pro Tools years ago, I think you'll find that you don't need to employ most of the tricks you found necessary with PT.
For now I am mixing in Pro Tools and don’t see that part changing. However this one session is older and happens to be in PT still. Once I have my template complete with VEP then I’ll start rendering in Cubase. So you just do an export of the Instrument track? I thought most people have MIDI routes to a stem track for tracking.

Havoc911

So you just do an export of the Instrument track? I thought most people have MIDI routes to a stem track for tracking.
I suppose it depends on the project. I might export all the individual tracks or it might only be the groups that those tracks are bussed to; along with any effects (delays etc) that aren't to do with hall/reverb. The great thing about Cubase is the ability to export whatever you need in one step.

CoffeeLover

my cubase to protools aproach is that i have all the stems from midi recorded and then i do a batch export of the stems in cubase and i believe in protools it is called export consolidate.
so your audio from cubase is now ready for mix in protools. if i read your post right and did not misunderstand anything then i believe this is one way of aproaching it.

so its roughly like this:
Instrument tracks to group and from there to stems and i got of course room reverb fx tracks between instrumenst and groups and hall reverb fx track for each stem track. thats how i do it if i need to export stems. if id did not need to export any stems then id just have one hall reverb fx track.

i hope that made sense
and my english understandable.