Pro-Q 3

Discussion in 'Mixing, Post-Production, and Effects' started by D Halgren, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Living Fossil

Living Fossil Senior Member

Oct 20, 2014
    That's what i thought too, however, in such a case i miss some empirical explanation or some kind of measurable evidence... As an isolated statement it's rather pointing towards GUI-induced autosuggestion... ;)
    (p.s. i'm sure it's a great EQ and i'm on the fence to get in (it would replace Neutron 2's EQ), ... just looking for more empirical aspects)

2. Rob Elliott

Rob Elliott Senior Member

For me transparence means void of undue 'color' as a result of adding or cutting certain freqs. It is one of the reasons why I also primarily use their verb (FFR) - doesn't leave a excessive sonic 'footprint'. For eq's and verbs I do not want to be drawn to their impact (unless on purpose for fx). I know that is not very empirical - but often with music / production - at the end of the day it's what sounds 'best'. Hope that explains it.

catsass likes this.
  3. KMA

KMA member

Sep 25, 2017
    I had some concerns about the overlap with Pro-MB as well, given than I just purchased Pro-MB a couple of months ago. I emailed FF about this and they responded that Pro-MB offers much more advanced dynamics settings than Pro-Q3 (attack, release, SC). And I can always sell Pro-MB if I like.

Still, I have to say that both Pro-Q3 and Pro-MB are insanely good. I've never come across an EQ with the functionality and transparency of Pro-Q3. And Pro-MB easily outperforms my other multiband compressors.

I was thinking that the only thing I'd add to Pro-MB would be some kind of "drive/character" feature, but having just bought Saturn (which is killer), I can see why that functionality is not there.

Gerhard Westphalen likes this.
  4. gussunkri

gussunkri Member

Jun 28, 2018
    TDR Nova vs Fabfilter Pro-Q3 deathmatch. Who wins? Why?

Zoot_Rollo likes this.
  5. Fleer

Fleer No Method

Dec 12, 2014
    Boston/Cambridge
    Another great review:

Zoot_Rollo and Casiquire like this.
  6. Solarsentinel

Solarsentinel Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Excellent video!
    If anyone want a 10% discount code contact me via pm. It's a code for new customer only :thumbsup:

7. Simon Ravn

Simon Ravn Senior Member

Nobrainer upgrade from Q2 for me (42 Euros). Also got big discounts on some of their other plugins I didn't own, which I got as well, like Saturn, Timeless and Twin 2.

8. Zoot_Rollo

Zoot_Rollo Throbbing Member

Jul 1, 2016
    L2 is on my list as well.

$138.27 for Q3 and L2 - upgrade offer.

Need to investigate L2 as i like L1 a lot.

9. ironbut

ironbut Active Member

Jun 9, 2015
    eugene or
    I agree.
    The upgrade to L2 is excellent.
    I also love the upgrade to C2.

I couldn't believe it when I looked at the original C1 invoice and it was dated 2007!
    I don't dare to listen to the destruction and terrible compression choices I must've made the first 5 or 6 years I used it!

10. Fleer

Fleer No Method

Dec 12, 2014
    Boston/Cambridge
    This Pro-Q3 is like Ali Baba’s trove. So many options, so musical, so transparent. And that gorgeous GUI. There’s a reason why FabFilter rules the plugin world. As for me, I could live with FabFilter, Slate and Zynaptiq. If I had to.

Casiquire likes this.
  11. R. Soul

R. Soul Senior Member

Jan 7, 2006
    London, UK
    Fabfilter have 25% off til 1. January.

Funny, now my upgrade is £35 I'm strongly considering it, where when it was £46 I wasn't.

Casiquire and Henu like this.
  12. Fleer

Fleer No Method

Dec 12, 2014
    Boston/Cambridge
    And that Essentials Bundle (Pro-Q3, Pro-C2 and Pro-R) is looking ever so alluring.

13. Zoot_Rollo

Zoot_Rollo Throbbing Member

Jul 1, 2016
    thanks for the reminder!

here are my account offers.

FabFilter Pro-L 2 - $56.71
    FabFilter Pro-Q 3 - $46.99

silly not to at those prices.

BOUGHT!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Casiquire likes this.
  14. X-Bassist

X-Bassist Senior Member

Sep 26, 2015
    Cool, thanks! I’ve been loving the demo while hoping for a holiday discount on the upgrade. Considering it’s already being used all over the film I’m working on (the dynamic control is a huge help) I’m glad it’s the holidays! Merry Christmas. :)

15. Henu

Henu Senior Member

Nov 17, 2017
    Finland
    Tell me about it: Original upgrade price of €52,15 went down to €42 and suddenly I'm all nuts for it. :D

16. ironbut

ironbut Active Member

Jun 9, 2015
    eugene or
    Yup, I was just thinking the same thing!
    What a good little consumer my parents raised!

Casiquire likes this.
  17. Rasmus Hartvig

Rasmus Hartvig Active Member

I'm also more tempted now that my upgrade price is $46.99. Still, it's been out a while now and it would be nice to hear how people are getting along with it?

I should add that I already own Pro-MB, so my dynamic EQ'ing needs are (probably) taken care of. So the question is: are the other new features "worth it"? Soundwise I'm already very happy with Pro-Q2, but if any of the new features are game changing in an efficiency-of-workflow kind of way, I'm definitely upgrading.

18. Rapollo

Rapollo Member

Sep 1, 2017
    United Kingdom
    I actually love the way they've done it, the dynamic feature feels hugely different to me than Pro-MB and regardless if everyone saying they've just done it so Pro-MB isn't redundant is be true or not - I actually can't imagine it being done any better. It's no frills, easy to use, isn't there unless called for and does its job just for dynamic attenuation on signals passing over the threshold. Now I only need Pro-Q3 as opposed to both Pro-Q 2 and Pro-MB on my bass! Same goes for things like acoustic guitars.

That, plus being able to see my kick spectrum whilst filtering my bass was worth the price alone for me since I do that in almost all my music in some way. It all depends what you work with IMO which dictates whether it's worth it or not for you.

Oh, and all my mixbus processing can be done in one instance as opposed to two because M/S is per band now.

Rasmus Hartvig likes this.
  19. Rasmus Hartvig

Rasmus Hartvig Active Member

Thanks! Sounds like a winner to me. Will definitely be upgrading now.

20. AdamKmusic

AdamKmusic Active Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Bought this a few weeks back after it came out and it's all over all of my stuff now! Without over exaggerating it's literally changed my mixes!