What's new

Presonus Studio One Pro 4

No. This was a very old workaround for a 32 bit RME card which was solved with a driver update. However, it is the biggest myth in the industry.
Interesting. I always assumed it had to do with streaming audio/samples. I'd be interested in reading the data from your testing if you have it available.

Unfortunately I don't have that data anymore. It was between 1 and 5% on different systems. Some users on Gearslutz have reported a minor advantage when setting to background services, but some of them also had worse performance with HT active so I simply cannot trust their system setup as a reference.
RME has confirmed themselves it was a Digi96 32 bit driver fix and that otherwise, the setting should be left alone.

EDIT: I just see I messed up that sentence: it should read like this:
"Some users on Gearslutz have reported a minor *advantage* when setting to background services"

Last edited:
I've been running DAWs since the early 90s, with Windows and Mac machines. The only tweaking I do when installing Windows 10 Pro on a DAW machine is setting up Power options to High performance, disable USB Selective suspend, disable automatic Windows update then making sure no apps I don't use run in the background or are enabled at startup.

I don't think there should be anything else to "tweak", Windows 10 isn't Windows XP.

I'm new to S1 as of a few days ago and haven't done much aside from some basic setup while I finish off some projects in Logic.

I thought I researched my choice well, but now I'm seeing folks talk negatively about templates in S1. Is this only an issue for large templates? Should I be OK with 16-32 VI track templates, busses for instrument & effect groups, and 5-10 effect plugins on most tracks? I'd of course purge samples (Kontakt / Komplete Kontrol) from all VIs and deactivate effect plugins.

Sounds like the alternatives are working for folks, but it complete defeats my purpose of a template; to load a new project and start recording.

I'm new to S1 as of a few days ago and haven't done much aside from some basic setup while I finish off some projects in Logic.

I thought I researched my choice well, but now I'm seeing folks talk negatively about templates in S1. Is this only an issue for large templates? Should I be OK with 16-32 VI track templates, busses for instrument & effect groups, and 5-10 effect plugins on most tracks? I'd of course purge samples (Kontakt / Komplete Kontrol) from all VIs and deactivate effect plugins.

Sounds like the alternatives are working for folks, but it complete defeats my purpose of a template; to load a new project and start recording.

I have no issues with 50-60 tracks full of VIs with busses/groups and many fx running. As long as you have a decent fast machine with adequate RAM you'll be just fine.

Just try the demo and you'll find out for yourself :)

Most people haven't got any issues at all (including myself). Some have issues and talk about them in forum threads. I'd highly recommend to try it out for yourself instead of relying on if people think you could have issues with your own projects.

Should I be OK with 16-32 VI track templates, busses for instrument & effect groups, and 5-10 effect plugins on most tracks? I'd of course purge samples (Kontakt / Komplete Kontrol) from all VIs and deactivate effect plugins.
I've been working with templates in Studio One since version 1.6 (now version 4.5) and I never had serious issues. Of course the features set got better with every bigger update but basically everything worked from the beginning. My templates have between 80 and 150 tracks.

Last edited:
I have no issues with 50-60 tracks full of VIs with busses/groups and many fx running. As long as you have a decent fast machine with adequate RAM you'll be just fine.

Just try the demo and you'll find out for yourself :)
Most people haven't got any issues at all (including myself). Some have issues and talk about them in forum threads. I'd highly recommend to try it out for yourself instead of relying on if people think you could have issues with your own projects.
Great to hear. Thanks! I'm on the recent iMac, 3.6GHz, 8-core i9, 64GB RAM.

Yeah, I just need to dive in and get over the discouragement of starting from scratch with some things. Even though mine are relatively small compared to most here, templates are a necessary PITA.

Reactions: EgM
Yeah, I just need to dive in and get over the discouragement of starting from scratch with some things. Even though mine are relatively small compared to most here, templates are a necessary PITA.
Not necessarily necessary :) I changed to another workflow so my current template contains only about 10 standard instruments. The rest of my favorite patches and instruments are stored as Studio One Musicloops which means you can store an instrument with an effect chain with a demo phrase (for auditioning the instruments in the browser). To add the whole thing into your song just drag it from the browser into your arrangement. The same can be done with instrument presets (without the preview phrase):

template.png

I have to admit that I'm quite happy with this approach. I like it to have a slim song file with only the things I need in every project. And I can easily search for an instrument, preview it without having to load the whole instrument and if I know it's the instrument I want to use dragging and loading it into the song takes not much longer than aready having it in the song and re-activating the track.

But in the end both methods make sense :)

@Lukas yeah, that seems quite efficient. I will likely incorporate that to some degree. But my templates are relatively small, usually 16 instrument tracks; not much more than your 10 standards. Your method will help here when I inevitably need to swap instruments out.

I do have a couple of 32 track templates for my "cinematic" stuff, still small for this forum. Relying on keyswitching keeps these compact. Maybe I can scratch these and build the smaller templates up with presets when necessary. Things to think about...

Upgraded yesterday after I got 16GB additional RAM, upping from 16 to 32, and it has solved my freezing problem.

Wheras 1 week ago I was experiencing half hour freeze times, while the program would resolve after an hour of recording 10 MIDI channels at once, now I have just experienced 1 - 2 minutes for the same thing. I took a look inside the task manager while this was taking place and found that the Studio One process was occupying 24,345.5 MB in the Memory tab.

S1 RAM Use after 32GB upgrade.jpg

Not necessarily necessary :) I changed to another workflow so my current template contains only about 10 standard instruments. The rest of my favorite patches and instruments are stored as Studio One Musicloops which means you can store an instrument with an effect chain with a demo phrase (for auditioning the instruments in the browser). To add the whole thing into your song just drag it from the browser into your arrangement. The same can be done with instrument presets (without the preview phrase):

template.png

I have to admit that I'm quite happy with this approach. I like it to have a slim song file with only the things I need in every project. And I can easily search for an instrument, preview it without having to load the whole instrument and if I know it's the instrument I want to use dragging and loading it into the song takes not much longer than aready having it in the song and re-activating the track.

But in the end both methods make sense :)

I've also dropped the idea of massive templates and use track presets just like you :)

1573068930901.png

I'm using the latest update of S1 4.5.

I want to use a subject header without it being a track. For example, I want to make a folder for my Strings, but I don't want the header showing the colored bar with no data across the main display. I want only tracks with data showing in the main display, i.e., tracks that would be in... the folder. How to do this?

I don't think there is a way to do that. What I do is to minimize the size of the folder track so it is a mere stripe compared to the data tracks.

Re my post 3 above here, does no one blink an eye that Studio One is using 24 GB of RAM? Is it recording the audio of my MIDI instruments to RAM? How does this get to 24 GB? Seems a tad high for a load of MIDI tracks being recorded with a few instances of vi's. Is there a way to conserve RAM in S1? I don't want my RAM to always be getting unnecessarily decimated every time I do a long recording.

Re my post 3 above here, does no one blink an eye that Studio One is using 24 GB of RAM? Is it recording the audio of my MIDI instruments to RAM? How does this get to 24 GB? Seems a tad high for a load of MIDI tracks being recorded with a few instances of vi's. Is there a way to conserve RAM in S1? I don't want my RAM to always be getting unnecessarily decimated every time I do a long recording.
Either you load a library which is huge, your Kontakt RAM preloading is accidentally set to a large setting or there is a memory leak somewhere. Remove instance by instance and check when it drops (keep taskmanager open while doing so).

Either you load a library which is huge, your Kontakt RAM preloading is accidentally set to a large setting or there is a memory leak somewhere. Remove instance by instance and check when it drops (keep taskmanager open while doing so).

It's just the thing. If I don't do a record, then it stays around 3 GB. I can play for hours and it stays at 3 GB. But after a 45 min record on 10 or so (MIDI only) tracks, it will shoot up around 24 GB. This is what makes me think it could be recording the audio, holding it, maybe waiting for me to take an option on freezing the audio from the record. I don't know if this is something that S1 users do, since I almost never record audio except as it is streamed to external devices.

Last edited:
no response on the PreSonus forums. Has anyone had problems with the studio one blacklist? on mac, I have a ton of plugins that are getting blacklist for reasons I'm not sure...

Top Bottom