What's new

Presonus Studio One Pro 4

Not necessarily necessary :) I changed to another workflow so my current template contains only about 10 standard instruments. The rest of my favorite patches and instruments are stored as Studio One Musicloops which means you can store an instrument with an effect chain with a demo phrase (for auditioning the instruments in the browser). To add the whole thing into your song just drag it from the browser into your arrangement. The same can be done with instrument presets (without the preview phrase):

template.png

I have to admit that I'm quite happy with this approach. I like it to have a slim song file with only the things I need in every project. And I can easily search for an instrument, preview it without having to load the whole instrument and if I know it's the instrument I want to use dragging and loading it into the song takes not much longer than aready having it in the song and re-activating the track.

But in the end both methods make sense :)

So how do you do this, and it looks like from your image you did it in your Instruments section, not your musicloops section.

Not necessarily necessary :) I changed to another workflow so my current template contains only about 10 standard instruments. The rest of my favorite patches and instruments are stored as Studio One Musicloops which means you can store an instrument with an effect chain with a demo phrase (for auditioning the instruments in the browser). To add the whole thing into your song just drag it from the browser into your arrangement. The same can be done with instrument presets (without the preview phrase):

template.png

I have to admit that I'm quite happy with this approach. I like it to have a slim song file with only the things I need in every project. And I can easily search for an instrument, preview it without having to load the whole instrument and if I know it's the instrument I want to use dragging and loading it into the song takes not much longer than aready having it in the song and re-activating the track.

But in the end both methods make sense :)
I want to thank you for this. I switched over about a month ago from Cubase and built a pretty large template. I notived after using it once 2 things. One, it was actually faster just to load a contact instrument from that side panel than searching and finding an instrument. Two, when studio one saves it takes forever. Maybe there is a settinig to improve that but I noticed that if I have a large template open even if just one track is active it takes forever to save vs having no template and one track open. That was annoying me to no end coming from Cubase which saves a large project quickly.

Also a template just clutters space up.

The only reason I can see for wanting a template at all is just to have instruments balanced the way I want but it seems like you can do that with your method just saving as a preset. Being able to save presets like you did seems like the best of both worlds. Keep a small core template and drag in the precreated presets that you have balanced with whatever effect chain you want already done. That is so much faster than trying to search through a template, finiding the instrument, unhiding it perhaps, activating it if it was deactivated and so forth. I just hated that.

I just loathe working in Cubase now. I still have some unfinished projects in it I need to finish.

The only negative though is video work. I think Cubase handles that better. It's the only thing I'd do in Cubase over Studio One at this point. I refuse to mix in Cubase. I'll export stems to Studio One.

Top Bottom