What's new

Presonus Studio One Pro 4.5 Released

Track templates are working well so far. There are a couple of things to watch out for though.

At first, I tried to put all tracks (disabled) into one project, but I found when I dragged a track to the arrange window, S1 ran through a very long 'search' of the template song each time. So I broke each instrument group/library out into their own template. I placed them all in a tab in the file browser.

Dragging a track (or multiple tracks) over is now instant.

Secondly, using this method doesn't allow me to replace an existing track by dragging another on over it. That's no biggie though.

Hopefully they are able to update this feature so it would be possible to drag tracks in between existing tracks. Much like you do when dragging instruments, audio etc. at the moment imported tracks land at the end of the tracks list.

Hopefully they are able to update this feature so it would be possible to drag tracks in between existing tracks. Much like you do when dragging instruments, audio etc. at the moment imported tracks land at the end of the tracks list.
I agree... this would be a good workflow improvement.

What is needed for that is an overhaul of the save behaviour. Studio One does this weird thing that it packages everything individually, thus leading to long save and loading times with projects with lots of tracks and plugins. It isn't that the program is slow, that's not the issue. It is literally how Studio One processes everything when saving. It's a weird issue, and it's also why it needs to load everything in the project before being able to drop the selected tracks in from other projects.

This has nothing to do with the file structur or save behaviour. The extraction of the song file structure is already done when you click and drag one object like an instrument track or a .musicx performance. It's just a matter of how the drag to import feature is implemented.

What is needed for that is an overhaul of the save behaviour. Studio One does this weird thing that it packages everything individually, thus leading to long save and loading times with projects with lots of tracks and plugins. It isn't that the program is slow, that's not the issue. It is literally how Studio One processes everything when saving. It's a weird issue, and it's also why it needs to load everything in the project before being able to drop the selected tracks in from other projects.
The bigger the project the more difficulty S1 has in closing the project, especially if you have lots of Kontakt instruments. Watching Activity Monitor as it closes, it seems like S1 often gets stuck releasing memory from Kontakt and then just sits there until you force quit.

That is another area that needs improvement. In my daily routine working with Logic Pro I think it has the best auto save algorithm in the business. S1 needs to abandon that intrusive save behavior but that is not directly related to the save and import behavior when dealing with presets and track import.

There is certainly an issue with it's handling of Kontakt instruments. The hanging and or crashing anytime I have a Kontakt Instrument is very frustrating. Would love to see that fixed. Interestingly, it even has problems dealing with VE Pro when it has Kontakt Instruments loaded in it. My projects will hang forever and have to force quit VE Pro. If I use no Kontakt Instruments, all is good. Also want to repeat that I want to see surround support added :).

With the awesome deals at Steinberg right now I am very tempted to go to Nuendo.

I had to turn off auto-save on S1 because it is really intrusive....bad design in every way. I like a lot of things about S1, but auto-save is not one of them.

I had to turn off auto-save on S1 because it is really intrusive....bad design in every way. I like a lot of things about S1, but auto-save is not one of them.
Yes, and when autosave kicks in it completely takes over for fifteen seconds or so. Again, I come back to the design team and wonder why they thought this behavior was a good idea. Personally, I didn't disable auto-save, but I set it to autosave only once an hour.

I agree that there is much to like about the program. So it's just weird when you run into these sorts of basic issues, many of which are long-standing and still not resolved.

The bigger the project the more difficulty S1 has in closing the project, especially if you have lots of Kontakt instruments. Watching Activity Monitor as it closes, it seems like S1 often gets stuck releasing memory from Kontakt and then just sits there until you force quit.
I've been wondering about this for a long time, why the more kontakt instruments I have in a project (and the more ram they are using) the longer it takes to close a song, especially if I've been working on the song for an extended period. I had not thought about a Studio One / Kontakt problem. I usually have to just end task to get it to close, or wait for very long periods. Has anyone reported this behavior to Presonus?

I've been wondering about this for a long time, why the more kontakt instruments I have in a project (and the more ram they are using) the longer it takes to close a song, especially if I've been working on the song for an extended period. I had not thought about a Studio One / Kontakt problem. I usually have to just end task to get it to close, or wait for very long periods. Has anyone reported this behavior to Presonus?
Yes, several times over several years. The behavior goes back to SO3 at least. I now just assume I have to force quit to close. It's not a big deal since it doesn't affect saving or anything. Just irritating.

I had someone on here tell me it was a Kontakt issue, and it may well be. But none of the other DAWs I use exhibit this behavior.

Yes, several times over several years. The behavior goes back to SO3 at least. I now just assume I have to force quit to close. It's not a big deal since it doesn't affect saving or anything. Just irritating.

I had someone on here tell me it was a Kontakt issue, and it may well be. But none of the other DAWs I use exhibit this behavior.
i have the same issue here, so what's the solution? it is very annoying

i have the same issue here, so what's the solution? it is very annoying
The “solution” is to assume you have to force quite if you want to quit. Not much else you can do if you want to use the program. I’ve raised a support flag several times over the past few years to no avail. I’m not sure they’ve even ever acknowledged it’s a known problem.

Top Bottom