What's new

Predictions for 2019

MillsMixx

Production Director/Sound Designer
I started a thread last year like this so thought I'd copy/paste into a new thread as the questions/thoughts remain the same for the year ahead.

What do you think we'll see in 2109?

Advancements & technology with sample libraries and plugins seem to be moving at an incredible pace! Let's face it, looking back over the years on libraries we've purchased up to now, we've seen playability and functionality up it's game this year with coding, scripting, legato, Kontakt interface design, etc, and just downright beautiful recorded sounds whether out in the field or in the studio.

That said, what sort of sample libraries and VST instruments can we expect in the new year? I was beginning to think we're peaked as to how good some of these libraries sound but we keep hearing about special surprises and details to expect in the coming year from a lot of developers and companies.
What do ya think?

ScoreFace

Yes, that is true - I know these ancient horn sounds and I use them sometimes. In Ethno World 6, there are a few interesting and good sounding ancient horns as well, but they all are not perfectly playable, to be honest. I would love raw ancient sounding brass with a few vel layers and different articulations - deep sampled, like orchestral brass.

whiskers

Perpetual student
Nicer installers (more 8dio, Spitfire) as opposed to Continuata? :P

Better compression sample sizes would be nice but i'm not holding my breath

Adjustable UI in Kontakt?

I also imagine modeling will continue to increase, and probably get better. Pianoteq and SWAM type instruments have come a long way in the last few years.

jbuhler

POWER LEGATO on everything.

@ism will finally release his script that solves the great enigma of how to properly control the vibrato of the Spitfire Solo Strings.

I would love to see a whole library devoted to waves like in Olafur Arnalds Chamber Evolutions, except for many different sections all tempo synced.

At least one major sampling company will either go out of business or be bought by one of the others. (Hoping this doesn't come true.)

JPQ

i bet whole orchestra and all common and most rare ethnic ethnic instruments perectly modelled as most legenary synths like there is virtual moel of omnisphere 2 etc.

pderbidge

All I know is last year when you posted this, or was it another similar post the year before- either way I was completely wrong. I thought by now we might see some more artificial intelligence solutions like Rayzoon, but better and improved or at the very least more modeled instruments like SWAM stuff. I suppose we did get Modo Bass which everyone seems to feel has pushed the boundaries of realism. We have definitely seen scripting get a bit smarter though which seems to do better at acting more like a real instrument playing but still not quite where I thought things might go by now.

I think this time I won't make any guesses and just sit back and see where things go from here.:scout:

Consona

Yes, that is true - I know these ancient horn sounds and I use them sometimes. In Ethno World 6, there are a few interesting and good sounding ancient horns as well, but they all are not perfectly playable, to be honest. I would love raw ancient sounding brass with a few vel layers and different articulations - deep sampled, like orchestral brass.
Yep, this, sampled in a nice big room or stage, multiple mic positions, maybe even ensembles, and all that stuff you mentioned, from someone like Cinesamples, Spitfire or Fluffy. War horns, all those ancient Roman brass instruments, etc.

Top Bottom