Predictions for 2019

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by MillsMixx, Dec 6, 2018 at 1:17 PM.

1. MillsMixx

MillsMixx Production Director/Sound Designer

Jan 23, 2015
    Seattle
    I started a thread last year like this so thought I'd copy/paste into a new thread as the questions/thoughts remain the same for the year ahead.

What do you think we'll see in 2109?

Advancements & technology with sample libraries and plugins seem to be moving at an incredible pace! Let's face it, looking back over the years on libraries we've purchased up to now, we've seen playability and functionality up it's game this year with coding, scripting, legato, Kontakt interface design, etc, and just downright beautiful recorded sounds whether out in the field or in the studio.

That said, what sort of sample libraries and VST instruments can we expect in the new year? I was beginning to think we're peaked as to how good some of these libraries sound but we keep hearing about special surprises and details to expect in the coming year from a lot of developers and companies.
    What do ya think?

whiskers and Jaap like this.
  2. tim727

tim727 Senior Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Judging by OT's development speed of late, I'd say Metropolis Ark 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and of course let's not forget Metropolis Ark 10: The Bankrupt Orchestra.

3. StillLife

StillLife Senior Member

Mar 18, 2017
    In 2109 I hope to celebrate my 150th birthday....

Batrawi, michelsimons, Saxer and 11 others like this.
  4. ScoreFace

ScoreFace Senior Member

Nov 21, 2018
    I would love to have a lib with raw barbarian Brass - not polished orchestra brass, but ancient sounding raw horns!

5. mgpqa1

mgpqa1 Senior Member

Dec 20, 2011
    An increasing number of libraries with discrete patches to build your own section sizes

jonathanparham, Vik, MartinH. and 2 others like this.
  6. Zee

Zee Senior Member

Jan 2, 2018
    There are some interesting ones in Era Medieval II

MartinH. likes this.
  7. tim727

tim727 Senior Member

Nov 21, 2017
    In Celtic Era as well if I remember correctly.

8. ScoreFace

ScoreFace Senior Member

Nov 21, 2018
    Yes, that is true - I know these ancient horn sounds and I use them sometimes. In Ethno World 6, there are a few interesting and good sounding ancient horns as well, but they all are not perfectly playable, to be honest. I would love raw ancient sounding brass with a few vel layers and different articulations - deep sampled, like orchestral brass.

Consona likes this.
  9. whiskers

whiskers Here for the mewsic

Sep 5, 2018
    US
    Nicer installers (more 8dio, Spitfire) as opposed to Continuata? :P

Better compression sample sizes would be nice but i'm not holding my breath

Adjustable UI in Kontakt?

I also imagine modeling will continue to increase, and probably get better. Pianoteq and SWAM type instruments have come a long way in the last few years.

Jaybee, styledelk and kitekrazy like this.
  10. dpasdernick

dpasdernick Senior Member

Jan 18, 2010
    I predict I'll blow a whole bunch of money on sample libraries I don't need and spend more time shopping for them than actually composing. And i'm 100% comfortable with this.

dougj7, Andoran, Lee Blaske and 10 others like this.
  11. kitekrazy

kitekrazy Senior Member

Dec 23, 2008
    You stole my post except for the "whole bunch of money" because I don't have that.

Casiquire, dpasdernick and whiskers like this.
  12. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    POWER LEGATO on everything.

@ism will finally release his script that solves the great enigma of how to properly control the vibrato of the Spitfire Solo Strings.

I would love to see a whole library devoted to waves like in Olafur Arnalds Chamber Evolutions, except for many different sections all tempo synced.

At least one major sampling company will either go out of business or be bought by one of the others. (Hoping this doesn't come true.)

noises on and whiskers like this.
  13. RandomComposer

RandomComposer Senior Member

Mar 29, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I would hope that Cinematic Studio Percussion would be out by 2109, but that might be pushing it ;)

14. JPQ

JPQ Senior Member

Jul 31, 2010
    i bet whole orchestra and all common and most rare ethnic ethnic instruments perectly modelled as most legenary synths like there is virtual moel of omnisphere 2 etc.

whiskers likes this.
  15. pderbidge

pderbidge Senior Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Utah
    All I know is last year when you posted this, or was it another similar post the year before- either way I was completely wrong. I thought by now we might see some more artificial intelligence solutions like Rayzoon, but better and improved or at the very least more modeled instruments like SWAM stuff. I suppose we did get Modo Bass which everyone seems to feel has pushed the boundaries of realism. We have definitely seen scripting get a bit smarter though which seems to do better at acting more like a real instrument playing but still not quite where I thought things might go by now.

I think this time I won't make any guesses and just sit back and see where things go from here.:scout:

NoamL likes this.
  16. Consona

Consona Senior Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Yep, this, sampled in a nice big room or stage, multiple mic positions, maybe even ensembles, and all that stuff you mentioned, from someone like Cinesamples, Spitfire or Fluffy. War horns, all those ancient Roman brass instruments, etc.

ScoreFace likes this.
  17. tack

tack Damned Dirty Ape

Aug 3, 2013
    By 2109, Pianoteq 42 will be released and it will pass all double blind tests with flying colors but people who know they're listening to a modeled piano will say it sounds like plastic.

tokatila, Casiquire, NoamL and 8 others like this.
  18. miket

miket Senior Member

May 17, 2016
    New York
  19. Daniel

Daniel Senior Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Indonesia
    I think LASS 3, Con Motto series, Stylus RMX2 will be released. ( with a new technology).

Casiquire likes this.
  20. constaneum

constaneum Senior Member

By 2109, we'll all be resting in peace. LOL

Consona likes this.