What's new

Predator OST "Payback time" - Alan Silvestri - Mock up

alexballmusic

Hiya,

As a big fan of Alan Silvestri and Predator, I had a pop at mocking up one of the cues from the score with a bunch of libraries.

Was a really useful learning tool. It contains great orchestration and a heck of a lot of mileage from small ideas thrown around the orchestra.

Harmony is interesting too - a constant structure of Gm, Em, C#m, Bbm and back round. So Minor chords a minor 3rd apart, but inverted so there's voice leading and they feel musical.

Libraries used:

Strings: Spitfire Audio Chamber Strings, LA-SS Lite, Orchestral Tools Berlin Strings EXP E SFX.

Woodwinds: Spitfire Audio Symphonic Woodwinds / Albion Woodwind

Brass: Cinesamples Cinebrass Core, Spitfire Audio Albion Brass

Percussion: Spitfire Joby Burgess Percussion, Fluffy Audio Log Drum, Xtant Audio Slit Drum

Pianos: Cinesamples Abbey Road & Spitfire Albion Piano

Harp: Orchestral Tools - Symphonic Sphere

Synths: Omnisphere

FX: Waves EQ, Izotope Vinyl, T-racks, U-he Satin

Great job! I've been doing lots of score-reading recently and it's fascinating to hear/see the different ways composers use the orchestra to get mileage out of little phrases and ideas. From a first listen the mix sounds good too - different libraries from different rooms but it works well enough in combination.

Great job! I've been doing lots of score-reading recently and it's fascinating to hear/see the different ways composers use the orchestra to get mileage out of little phrases and ideas. From a first listen the mix sounds good too - different libraries from different rooms but it works well enough in combination.

Thanks Wilx. Yeah, reading scores is really useful. Doing the occasional mock up even more useful I find. I loved the Predator score so much, I thought I'd have a pop at a cue.

Great use of percussion and harp in this one - I often overlook those details. Also loads of string techniques, col legno, snap pizz, aleatoric effects and things. And a whole scene covered by mainly the same chord progression without it sounding repetitive!

Hiya,

As a big fan of Alan Silvestri and Predator, I had a pop at mocking up one of the cues from the score with a bunch of libraries.

Was a really useful learning tool. It contains great orchestration and a heck of a lot of mileage from small ideas thrown around the orchestra.

Harmony is interesting too - a constant structure of Gm, Em, C#m, Bbm and back round. So Minor chords a minor 3rd apart, but inverted so there's voice leading and they feel musical.

Libraries used:

Strings: Spitfire Audio Chamber Strings, LA-SS Lite, Orchestral Tools Berlin Strings EXP E SFX.

Woodwinds: Spitfire Audio Symphonic Woodwinds / Albion Woodwind

Brass: Cinesamples Cinebrass Core, Spitfire Audio Albion Brass

Percussion: Spitfire Joby Burgess Percussion, Fluffy Audio Log Drum, Xtant Audio Slit Drum

Pianos: Cinesamples Abbey Road & Spitfire Albion Piano

Harp: Orchestral Tools - Symphonic Sphere

Synths: Omnisphere

FX: Waves EQ, Izotope Vinyl, T-racks, U-he Satin

Greetings Alex,

Nice Mockup indeed. Your descriptions got me some enjoyment and fun!
It is always a good exercise to mockup those things you dig and you interalize a lot
by doing that.
Thank you for sharing!

Greetings Alex,

Nice Mockup indeed. Your descriptions got me some enjoyment and fun!
It is always a good exercise to mockup those things you dig and you interalize a lot
by doing that.
Thank you for sharing!

Cheers. I definitely pay attention to the details when I love the music, learned some stuff from this one!

Just came across this. It's great to see mockups of tracks that aren't the main theme, which is what most people tend to do. I much prefer mockups of action cues like this. Really great and interesting work.

I love Silvestri. And what about those fast time sig changes! Woahhh!
Cool thanks for reminding me about this score and movie.

Top Bottom