What's new

Post Spitfire Audio

And I don‘t think there’s any doubt that OT (ie Time Macro) and Ben are both taking inspiration from Spitfire.
In spending time with the OT guys (and Spitfire to an extent), I found this really doesn't seem to be the case. When I mention certain libraries from other developers, they often aren't even aware of them because they're constantly so busy developing their own stuff. But there's bound to be overlap between companies because there are only so many articulations to sample.

When I mention certain libraries from other developers, they often aren't even aware of them because they're constantly so busy developing their own stuff
THAT is the issue then...that statement alone, if true, is the worst thing any business can do...not know your competition. Knowing your competition is like the number one rule in business...so strange.

With some talk about how Spitfire seem to be getting a little stale (?) with their libraries, ie repeating the same process but in a new room with AR1 etc, I wonder who (if anyone?) people think could go on to take over their mantle as the premier sample developer in the next 5-10 years.

It is my personal dream, to become the next big developer. To pour every spare ounce of my soul, after meeting every other scoring deadline, family obligation, life circumstance, into literally dozens and dozens of projects, so that I can then have all my work marginalized by someone on a forum calling my passionate work “stale”. In the meantime, I’ll sit here and wonder who can please innovate me out of this place where I can’t possibly write another note, because the developers have all turned stale on me. Someone said this post is “silly”. I think that person was being nice.

....and as a rebuttal, I seriously wish I could meet Christian and Paul (and the rest of the gang) someday to thank them for the freaking amazing tools they’ve created AND all of the content and opportunities for engagement they’ve provided. Labs, PianoBook, WW scoring contest, tutorials, and my favorite, Christian’s YouTube channel. Seriously amazing shit! I love their libraries from SSO and OA, to the labs and Intimate strings. Those guys’ and gals’ products have helped me out immensely with both inspiration and execution. I’m so sick of the way people spew bullshit in the inter-web. Can you tell? Words matter.

More Spitfire-related news. Sad news. Today, the last Belgian Spitfire fighter pilot, Joseph Moureau, passed away. He was 99 years old.

Moreau and his twin brother Alfred joined the Royal Air Force in 1940 and, after a long training, qualified for a Spitfire seat. They were part of the 349th Squadron (which consisted mostly of Belgian pilots) and provided air support during D-Day (when Joseph took a Junker Ju88 down).

8d911b1c-19ee-11eb-aae0-02b7b76bf47f.png

From the programming and developing new sampling ideas side of things, I think there is someone that has what it takes to be a big developer that will take sampling forward... but I have a feeling he really doesn't want too:speechless:

Jasper.

Just listen to his solo violin B, its a tiny instrument, very limited, but what it can do is amazing.
I hope he is aware of what he created, cause not SA or OT or 8DIO or VSL or EW can do that.
I really hope that Ollie will manage to execute the project he wanted to with Jasper and Mayerson because it has all the right ingredients and the surroundings that seems Jasper need to get out of his shell:)

Another developer that has the quality nailed in the highest levels is SonicCouture.
Though they seem to be happy in the place they are at, doing unique projects that I guess interests them before any thought if its a good commercial prospect.
You got to admire that.

Last edited:
THAT is the issue then...that statement alone, if true, is the worst thing any business can do...not know your competition. Knowing your competition is like the number one rule in business...so strange.
This is a slightly extreme reaction to what I said. It's not like they're wholly unaware of what's going on in the sampling world, but they aren't sitting on VI-Control all day looking at all the latest library announcements from every company, because they're busy innovating and creating sample libraries, LOL. People who frequent forums for hours a day seem to forget this, so when they see similarities between libraries, they assume it's because one company copied the other.

This is a slightly extreme reaction to what I said. It's not like they're wholly unaware of what's going on in the sampling world, but they aren't sitting on VI-Control all day looking at all the latest library announcements from every company, because they're busy innovating and creating sample libraries, LOL. People who frequent forums for hours a day seem to forget this, so when they see similarities between libraries, they assume it's because one company copied the other.
I do think most people who create similar stuff tend to get their inspiration from the same or similar sources. John Williams or Hans Zimmer or some other composer writes a piece for a movie/show and they hear it. It starts a "I like that sound, how can I make/improve it? Then turns into a new library. This is why they tend to come out around the same time also - the inspiration's the same.

In spending time with the OT guys (and Spitfire to an extent), I found this really doesn't seem to be the case. When I mention certain libraries from other developers, they often aren't even aware of them because they're constantly so busy developing their own stuff. But there's bound to be overlap between companies because there are only so many articulations to sample.

Time Macro is very much an OT library in its conception and execution, on all the right ways.

And yet, that said, I find it very, bery hard to imagine a texture library being developed at the time TM was without at least an awareness of the ways other texture libraries had broken new ground, and how people had responded.

My money is on more Avante Garde SL developers like Slate & Ash, Felt Instruments & Ben Osterhouse - although for my own selfish reasons I hope they don't become too big, and that they keep pushing the envelope with their indie finesse! Spitfire Audio's announcements used to make me sit up in my chair and fill me with excitement and anticipation. Libraries like LSO, The Evo Grids, Olafur Arnalds Collabs - to name a few. I think SA is still great, love the labs, and all that they have given us, but their recent offerings have not interested me in the slightest - just not my cup of tea. However, I think for anybody to stand up and say "Spitfire has gone stale" or "they're just rehashing old libraries" is a bit ridiculous. I think as they become a bigger company, they have to diversify, become less "niche" and "left field" and move more to the center to appease the majority. I think that's why we are seeing more libraries from them like BBCSO & Abbey Road One. Hey, but what do I know, I could be wrong and that's okay. The point is they are still a great sample library company, releasing top-shelf products, and as much as their marketing can get annoying, if we are all honest, I think deep down most of us actually kind of like it - it's what makes Spitfire, well, Spitfire. ;)

Top Bottom