What's new

Post Covid VI Hang

José Herring

Lost in Cyberspace
So before this pandemic brought all social gatherings down to a screeching halt I was loosely staring to formulate plans for us to meet up in person. Of course now that's out of the question, but my mind is still churning out ideas.

Some question, when would be the consensus as to the amount of time when you'd feel comfortable meeting in a group setting? After covid has been stamped out? Or when you feel it's better under control? Months or a year after that? Or, are you thinking you'll never go out again and find a nice cabin in the woods?

Just want to gather some general info on people's comfort level.

I live with immonocompromised family member so its extra isolation for me.

and until there is a vaccine im not going out in public. so maybe until Feb 2021..

maybe rent an rv and staying driving around.

if it weren't for that family member most likely id get together with friends that follow similar social distancing and type of life than me. that way the chances are low in getting sick.
so studio people and not essential worker friends or anti masks people . and so on.

Meeting people outside should not be a problem, you just keep a reasonable distance, wearing a mask if you have to. But everything will be really safe only when a vaccine is approved and effective. Until then, nothing will stop the virus from spreading.

It really depends upon 1) where you live, 2) how healthy you are in general, and 3) are there any family members that need to be considered?

I live in California, which is, unfortunately, spiking like crazy in terms of new infections. Yesterday the number of newly confirmed cases was 8,300, the highest one-day number since the pandemic began in March. My wife also is dealing with cancer so we have to be super careful. Today I sent money to my daughter for her wedding. But her wedding (she calls it their "elopement") will consist of basically her, her fiance, a photographer and a someone to marry them.

A friend of mine in Los Angeles has a fairly large family. They get together outside only, all wearing masks, 6 feet apart. They sanitize the bathroom before and after each person uses it. A little risky, but humans are highly social and it's difficult to be isolated all the time. Zoom helps, right?

As far as the future, nobody knows. Will a vaccine happen soon? Will it be effective for everyone and every strain of the virus, if there are different strains? Will people continue to be socially irresponsible and anxious to get back to "normal"? Lots of uncertainty, we'd better make friends with uncertainty...

Last edited:
This is great. We haven't done one in years.

I'm not sure when I will be comfortable doing a big gathering -- especially with people I don't know well. I'm waiting to see how the infections develop. It's currently looking like the first attempts at resuming social activities were premature.

Maybe outside? I've seen no actual evidence that even the BLM protests generated a lot of infections, despite many people being in close quarters and of course shouting. It seems that it's bars or parties indoors, with no masks, that are the worst spreaders.

Maybe outside? I've seen no actual evidence that even the BLM protests generated a lot of infections, despite many people being in close quarters and of course shouting. It seems that it's bars or parties indoors, with no masks, that are the worst spreaders.

Good point.

How would people feel though about observing certain protocols?

My reasoning is that I'm assuming that Covid 19 isn't going away any time soon. I do imagine in a few months maybe up to 6 months that it won't be as prevalent or be just another flu like N1H1 or something. Still though nobody wants to get this no matter how much it abates.

So, if say in 3 to 6 months things are not raging as out of control as they are now, would people be opposed to following certain guidelines like social distancing, mask ect... Or would it not be so worth it and we should wait until covid is eradicated which would probably be about a year at the rate Americans are handling this pandemic. I also assume that many of the protocols that are in place now will still be in place to some degree in 3 to 6 months.

The epidemiologists that I have heard speak about this say it's about 14 times less likely to transmit Covid-19 outdoors; the wind apparently disperses the virus quite a bit. Plus, all the photos I saw of the protests revealed most of the protestors were wearing masks. The indoor gatherings at bars, gyms, hair salons, Trump rallys--far more likely places where the virus is getting its way with us..

IDK -- would love to see the gang but we have a housekeeper who's over 70 and I can't risk bringing this stuff home to her for a social.

I think I'm out until the facts change -- a treatment or something that is very effective and keeps people off ventilators.

I've been wanting the AKG C414 XLII microphone for a long time, so I went ahead and bought it last week. Why I did that is kind of irrational because I won't bring anyone in to record some new songs I've written for probably quite a while. but I did test the mic and it's really to my liking. Maybe one day...

I'm with John on this. I'm more concerned about being a vector for transmission than anything else. As much as I would love to see people, I've been limiting any excursions to those deemed necessary like for food, doctors, and household items, and have been foregoing social outings. It feels irresponsible to do otherwise.

The California Dept of Public Health is still advising "All gatherings should be postponed or cancelled... This applies to all non-essential professional, social, and community gatherings regardless of their sponsor."

With LA County re-closing bars, it would probably be best to wait 6 months and see where we are then.

Uncertainty drives people nuts, and unfortunately uncertainty and caution are all that any rational person has at the moment.

Only you bring the Chillaxer.

Where the frock IS that dude, anyway? Did you hide him in a large frog shaped item? Is he in a pod somewhere?

So it seems like the sentiment is, yeah it would be great but I ain't gonna risk it. Not for my sake but for others. Which makes total sense.

Let's check back in 6 months and see were we're at. I'm thinking that in 6 months I could enter the planning stage but next summer may be a more realistic time frame for the hang. I doubt there will be a NAMM this year. So we've got time.

I've been watching the numbers daily and I don't think this thing is going anywhere for at least 6 months. Damn we're still in the first wave and that's lasted already 5 months.

I hear you on the out doors. Even a year from now when we hopefully will have this under control I still would feel more comfortable outdoors. I'm looking at places and there's some really nice places I could rent.

Yeah, I'm pretty much done for the forseeable future. I have a friend who utterly disappeared. I'm about to make some bad choices for my friend list but hopefully these choices to isolate will keep me around to see what happens and maybe talk to some of them again.

Top Bottom