What's new

Portable minikeyboard with 4 octaves and 8 controllers?

AndyP

still@work
Does anyone know a manufacturer who has such a thing in their program? Currently I am helping me with a Korg Mircokey and a Nanocontrol, but I would prefer an all in on solution.

M-Adio Axiom Mini has only 2.5 octaves, a terrible keyboard and keys for pitch and modulation are a no go.
Miditech Minicontrol 32 is also too small.
NI M32 has also only 32 Key, but that would be perfect in terms of the control features.

What remains is the Midiplus X4 with 4 knobs.
Has anyone tried that?

I just want to have less lugging around and as easy a handling as possible.

I use a Ik rig i/o 49 myself but it has no faders and a mediocre keybed (but it's super light and has a built-in soundcard which is why I'm glad to have it on the road). I supplement it with a Korg Nanokontrol studio and an akai lpk 25 for the keyswitches. The three of them plus a travel guitar fit in a suitcase (and weigh peanuts). Good enough for me.

Last edited:
4 octaves, 8 faders and portable are a little oxymoric but you might consider the M audio code 49.
https://m.thomann.de/gb/m_audio_code_49_black.htm
I already have this one, but this is not really portable. Beside this it is a nice keyboard and one of my DAW controllers.

I supplement it with a Korg Nanokontrol studio and an akai lpk 25 for the keyswitches. The three of them plus a travel guitar fit in a suitcase (and weigh peanuts). Good enough for me.
I use the Nanokontrol also for key switches. Mute and solo buttons are configured this way.

It would be nice to have only 1 device with minikeys, controllers and 4 octaves. But unfortunately no supplier made something like this. 3 octaves are the limit for all devices I know. I'm already thinking about a breath controller I could use on the way.

I have a launchkey 49 and it fits the bill except for being portable. I have an old Q49 that would be considered almost portable (it is still long, but light) but has no fader ports and I'm not even sure it has a mod wheel. I really don't think one exists. You could maybe get two 25-key ones and use the +/- Octave changer to make one for your left hand and one for your right.

So, for example, i sit in the train, in the bus, backseat of the car. in front of me my laptop, on my lap the keyboard. Space is scarce and every other device is impractical. The Nanokontrol is then again somewhere where I can no longer operate it properly. Since it is a shaky issue anyway, the faders or buttons directly on the keyboard would be very practical. I wondered if 3 octaves would be the end of it.
I have the Korg microKey 49, a lightweight, it has an acceptable playing feel and is optimal in size. but the faders and buttons are missing.
I think the Midiplus X4 is the only device that can fulfill my wishes halfway. Maybe I'll make a compromise and get the Ni M32.

By portable I mean not only to move, but to work in cramped conditions.

Last edited:
Maybe I can shrink the code 49 somehow. :rolleyes:
I've got the code25 as well and trust me "portable" is not one of it's traits ;)

@OP: the m32 took it's place against an mpk25 and lpk25 and minilab. If you don't need pads it is really nice.

Edit: just realized you ARE the op. Don't trust a single word I say, I'm dumb.

I have a launchkey mini for travel. Only 25 keys, but it has faders. But no modwheel. Now I would probably go for the smallest NI keyboard. It seems to have it all but still 25 keys I think. Really much more and it won't fit into your backpack, let alone on your lap in a bus or train.

I'd say maybe the Roli Lumi but it doesn't have built on controllers. You'd need something like Roli Blocks to attach to it.

Top Bottom