What's new

Poll: Which solo violin libraries are you really happy with? (old thread)

Which of these virtual *violins* are you most happy with?

• Spitfire Artisan Violin (2015)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • OT Nocturne Violin (2015)

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Viharmonic Bohemian Violin (2015)

Votes: 36 51.4%
  • Simple Sam Samples Signor Paganini Solo violin (2013)

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Chet Singers Serenade III Reaktor Ensemble

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chris Hein Solo Violin (2016)

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • Garritan Stradivari Violin

• 8dio Adagio Solo Violin

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Auddict Virtuoso Violin (2016)

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Fluffy Audio - Solo Violin

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Embertone Friedlander (added to the poll september -16)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vik

ETA: This poll is closed now, because there's a new, more complete poll in this thread:
http://vi-control.net/community/thr...30-virtual-violins-would-you-recommend.56095/

Based on the solo/first string string instruments listed in this thread (I'm sorry if any instruments are missing) - which are you really happy with? Please vote in the poll - and ideally, it would be great with some comments in the thread as well (eg regarding whether you use it as a solo violin, to add definition to a symphonic library, possible pros/cons etc).

It's a multiple choice poll.

Please vote only for single/solo/chair instruments, not for chamber or symphonic products (except when you use a solo/single violin which comes with a chamber/symphonic library).
And - remember to base your vote only with reference to the *violin* samples - so you can vote for a product even if it's only the violin in that library you really like.

Solo/single/FC violins appear in many libraries...

CineStrings Solo (2016)
Spitfire Artisan Violin (2015)
Spitfire Sacconi Quartet (2015/2016)
Spitfire Solo Strings (2011)
Audiobro LASS First Chair
OT Nocturne Violin (2015)
OT FirstChairs (2016)
VSL Solo Strings (2009)
VSL Dimension Strings (2012)
Viharmonic Bohemian Violin (2015)
Simple Sam Samples Signor Paganini Solo violin (2013)
Chet Singers Serenade III Reaktor Ensemble
Sample Modeling Solo Violin (not released yet)
Kirk Hunter solo strings
Chris Hein Solo Violin (2016)
Fluffy Audio - Solo Violin
Garritan Stradivari Violin
X Samples - Chamber (link?)
Cinematic Studio Solo Strings (not released yet)
Strezov Macabre Solo Strings
Aria Sounds London Solo Strings
Auddict Virtuoso Violin (2016)
Prague Sounds Solo Strings
8dio Adagio Solo Violin
X Samples - Chamber

...but this poll is limited 10 poll options, so it only lists solo (etc) violins that can be bought as a separate products. The Sacconi Quartet, OT First Chairs etc will appear in another poll.

You may change your votes later if you want to.

There's also poll here: http://vi-control.net/community/thr...ir-libraries-you-are-really-happy-with.54967/

Last edited:

midiman

For me the most pleasant sounding solo strings so far are Strezov Macabre Solo Strings. It has the most natural legato and vibrato. They don't cover all areas and techniques, but for basic melodic playing there is no better solo strings on the market. Very affordable price too.

Ultraxenon

I use Bohemian violin as a solo instrument:) Emberton Friedlander violin is also a good library i use a lot and they are not that expensive either

constaneum

For me the most pleasant sounding solo strings so far are Strezov Macabre Solo Strings. It has the most natural legato and vibrato. They don't cover all areas and techniques, but for basic melodic playing there is no better solo strings on the market. Very affordable price too.

But their cello with only one type of portamento legato transition doesn't seem practical. Violin and viola ok though. Not sure why cello doesn't wanna sample normal legato

Reaktor

My experience with Embertone is very mixed. It seems to require a lot of programming and seems to work well only for long legato notes. It simply isn't as out-of-the-box solution as Best Service Emotional Cello is and I haven't been able to write anything worthwhile with it, but it might be just lack of know-how.

It's also probably a bit aged compared to Bohemian and other libraries, but there is no denying that it is rather well priced.

If you are considering Embertone Violin you should probably check overview by Daniel James. It displays pros and cons quite well.

Edit: To my ear Orchestral Tools Nocturne Violin seems like a winner. I wonder why it has got only one vote? Might have something to do with the fact that it's quite expensive compared to rivaling libraries?

Last edited:

Ultraxenon

My experience with Embertone is very mixed. It seems to require a lot of programming and seems to work well only for long legato notes. It simply isn't as out-of-the-box solution as Best Service Emotional Cello is and I haven't been able to write anything worthwhile with it, but it might be just lack of know-how.

It's also probably a bit aged compared to Bohemian and other libraries, but there is no denying that it is rather well priced.

If you are considering Embertone Violin you should probably check overview by Daniel James. It displays pros and cons quite well.

Edit: To my ear Orchestral Tools Nocturne Violin seems like a winner. I wonder why it has got only one vote? Might have something to do with the fact that it's quite expensive compared to rivaling libraries?
I agree, Emberton violin does require a bit of tweaking, when i mix it with a larger section i have to eq out most of the body sound from Friedlander to make it fit in my type of music.

Baron Greuner

Viharmonic Bohemian Violin is the only one I use so it's difficult to make comparisons. But I suppose I might have bought others if I thought they were better than the VBV. I didn't, so I guess afaic VBV is the best one out there which of course is a subjective decision. I just used it more or less on a whole album and the only thing you need to get to grips with is the playing techniques, if indeed you actually play as opposed to using a mouse.

Reaktor

Viharmonic Bohemian Violin is the only one I use so it's difficult to make comparisons. But I suppose I might have bought others if I thought they were better than the VBV. I didn't, so I guess afaic VBV is the best one out there which of course is a subjective decision. I just used it more or less on a whole album and the only thing you need to get to grips with is the playing techniques, if indeed you actually play as opposed to using a mouse.

Something I really grave for solo violin is a bit more raspy sound. I would love to get more of those accidental sidenoises. Something like on this :

OP
Vik

Vik

This sounds good, jieff, but 'unfortunately' there are other files demoing solo strings which IMO sound good as well, for instance this one:

Not that Nocturne isn't convincing....

constaneum

I personally own the nocturne series. Violin I have to say it's quite good for its purpose. However, the legato for cello is a bit awful. I'm hearing lots of harsh legato transition sound of "dup" ..."dup"... Worser on lower notes. For other articulations, they're pretty useful though.

OP
Vik

Vik

These are also believable:

What exactly are the differences between Nocturne and Bohemian, feature wise.... anyone who already has an overview?

constaneum

Bohemian isn't complete, not until all the expansions have been released. Bohemian has a very expressive vibrato which some might love and some might hate. Tone wise both are different. I personally find Bohemian to be useful as a soloist but Nocturne more for solo violin in orchestral mix. Nocturne doesn't really sound so "at ur face" kinda of sound compared to Bohemian.

Ultraxenon

Well... Embertone, Chris Hein, and VirHarmonic's violins are on my to-buy list for different applications / tone.

VirHarmonic's violin is still "under construction".. That's why I haven't jumped on the wagon yet.
But if you like the tone of Bohemian violin it could be wise to buy it now. They promised free uppgrades to existing owners of the library

OP
Vik

Vik

That's something that kind of sucks about Gypsy.
That depends on the price I guess. If the bundle with another instrument/instruments isn't much higher than what the violin is worth, it shouldn't matter much.
From the little I've heard of the Gypsy violin, I like the wooden, rich sound - but it's a rather old library, isn't it? Does it have the kind of stuff newer libraries usually come with (many articulations, dynamic layers, mic positions etc)?

Not that age needs to matter - bowed string instruments is a several hundrer years old phenomenon and still sound good...

Top Bottom