What's new

POLL: How many faders do you use on your midi controller? (edit with pictures on page 2)

How many faders for CC over sample libraries?

• Total voters
Expression
Dynamics
Vibrato
And a fourth one for anything else that I want to control that I rebind if necessary for the instrument I'm working on at the moment.

thats a pretty good setup. 2 things come to mind:

1) what reverb(s) do you use and how(channels or busses)?
2)you gave me an interesting idea to use a midi button for reverb at 2 different levels. was thinking starting out with OFF and 50%
1) I usually use ValhallaRoom with maybe some ChromaVerb or NI RC48 as a secondary reverb, always on Busses.
2) Hadn't thought of re-purposing a button for Reverb). I have configured all my S, M, R buttons to actually send notes which I can use for Keyswitches.

I then have all the transport controls setup as you would expect, I don't currently have anything setup for the pots across the top.

9 illuminated buttons, 5 faders, 3 1/8" jacks(for hardware midi connectivity or chaining units together to get 10 faders, 15 faders etc or other units i make later), and 4 tiny lcd displays to give you feedback for editing the unit. there is not software from the computer. just a usb class compliant device that that also has a midi output so it can be used standalone or with a computer.

right now the 4 lower buttons are for selecting banks or if two buttons are long held it opens different edits for the buttons or faders. midi channel, midi cc, or note value(for buttons) so you could use them for CC or for keyswitching.

feel free to make any suggestions as its still in prototype phase and i need to design a solid aluminum enclosure.

the lcd screens are recessed so that they are only noticeable during editing.
njohnebcfnhhlabo.png fadbkahfplldnipc (1).png

Last edited:
SL Mixface. Two banks of 16 faders, 16 knobs and 16 buttons, all mapped to everything from vibrato to fx and mics.
wow! that is a lot of control. may i ask what the large vsts you are using with this amount of controls? i really like the idea of something like this in the future but i am not sure how much i would actually use it. also i really wish that spitfire would standardize their microphone cc specs. for instance it would be nice if CTAO and mix 1 and mix 2 had a universal CC at the least. so basically just setting aside CC numbers for certain positions across the board. i know in a lot of libraries it is the same but in the larger libraries it is different and i would like them all to be standardized.

wow! that is a lot of control. may i ask what the large vsts you are using with this amount of controls? i really like the idea of something like this in the future but i am not sure how much i would actually use it. also i really wish that spitfire would standardize their microphone cc specs. for instance it would be nice if CTAO and mix 1 and mix 2 had a universal CC at the least. so basically just setting aside CC numbers for certain positions across the board. i know in a lot of libraries it is the same but in the larger libraries it is different and i would like them all to be standardized.
Spitfire, 8dio, Samplemodeling... just lots of different products. Eg for SStO I have the mics mapped to the first six knobs, pan and gain to the next two and the mutes to the buttons. Then the faders for everything from tightness to timestretch and the next bank to control fx inserts that I place in Kontakt for sound mangling. Because they're always the same it is very easy to get used to which control does what. I can't imagine not using it now

Still enjoying my self-build MIDI cc-controller.
Expression CC11, Dynamics CC1, Vibrato CC16, Attack/Tightness CC18, Decay/Release CC17, Portamento time CC5, Filter Q CC71, Filter cutoff CC74.

It's compact 195x105x15 mm with eight 60 mm faders.
Uses a tiny Teensy LC controller, which together with Arduino software is great for these things.

Attachments

• Midi faders 20210130_113953.jpg
    Midi faders 20210130_113953.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Midi faders 20210130_114058.jpg
    Midi faders 20210130_114058.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 30
I'm using a Kenton ControlFreak with 16 faders. My template is built around Spitfire's SSO and my faders are setup as follows:

1. Vol (cc 7)
2. Exp (cc 11)
3. Mod (cc 1)
4. Vib (cc 21)
5. Attack (cc 15)
6. Release (cc 17)
7. Tightness (cc 18)
8. Speed (cc 16)
9. Stretch (cc 19)
10. Variation (cc 20)
12. Spot (cc 26)
13. Close (cc 22)
14. Tree (cc 23)
15. Ambient (cc 24)
16. Outrigger (cc 25)

When I'm playing in lines I usually have my index finder on the modwheel, and my middle finger on expression. If I'm feeling adventurous and have one of those days when I overestimate my dexterity, I put my index finger on vib, with middle finger on mod and ring finger on exp.

I have setup another "multi-purpose" bank to control my other libraries.

I also have a JL Cooper FaderMaster, but found the 60mm faders on the ControlFreak to work better for me (since I can keep my wrist anchored while moving the faders).

Something I really appreciate with these old school fader controllers is the solid build quality and the display that shows cc values as I move the faders.

Still enjoying my self-build MIDI cc-controller.
Expression CC11, Dynamics CC1, Vibrato CC16, Attack/Tightness CC18, Decay/Release CC17, Portamento time CC5, Filter Q CC71, Filter cutoff CC74.

It's compact 195x105x15 mm with eight 60 mm faders.
Uses a tiny Teensy LC controller, which together with Arduino software is great for these things.
i love stuff like this. great job!

I'm using a Kenton ControlFreak with 16 faders. My template is built around Spitfire's SSO and my faders are setup as follows:

1. Vol (cc 7)
2. Exp (cc 11)
3. Mod (cc 1)
4. Vib (cc 21)
5. Attack (cc 15)
6. Release (cc 17)
7. Tightness (cc 18)
8. Speed (cc 16)
9. Stretch (cc 19)
10. Variation (cc 20)
12. Spot (cc 26)
13. Close (cc 22)
14. Tree (cc 23)
15. Ambient (cc 24)
16. Outrigger (cc 25)

When I'm playing in lines I usually have my index finder on the modwheel, and my middle finger on expression. If I'm feeling adventurous and have one of those days when I overestimate my dexterity, I put my index finger on vib, with middle finger on mod and ring finger on exp.

I have setup another "multi-purpose" bank to control my other libraries.

I also have a JL Cooper FaderMaster, but found the 60mm faders on the ControlFreak to work better for me (since I can keep my wrist anchored while moving the faders).

Something I really appreciate with these old school fader controllers is the solid build quality and the display that shows cc values as I move the faders.
thats a nice setup. i am looking forward to buying SSO throughout this year.

turned in the board to my machinist for feedback today and should have the case drawn up next week. then get it 3d printed soon after as well as order the prototype boards once the box is verified to work with the board or we make adjustments.
image (2).png image (1).png image.png

Last edited:
the 4 digit display at the moment is only being used for setting up the unit. they just indicate what the values of the buttons and faders are when you are editing each one individually. it is not a reflection of anything else. so right now just for cc value, midi channel or midi note(for key switching with the buttons). the lcd will actually be recessed so that you dont notice them when you are using the unit unless you need to edit the control value. this allows the unit to not need software for programming.

sent off for the pcb prototype last week and started the design for the machined aluminum box earlier today. gonna 3d print it soon. i will be using shorter caps for the buttons on the production model. hopefully have some working videos in the next 3-4 weeks. all the lines in the render will not be there in production, it will be completely smooth.

Attachments

• Capture 2.PNG
    Capture 2.PNG
    87.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Capture 1.PNG
    Capture 1.PNG
    97 KB · Views: 16
I actually only use three or and X/Y setup. The other half of the tablet are buttons for articulations.

Top Bottom