Poll: Daniel James banned, who wants to have him back here

Should Daniel James be un-banned ?

• Total voters

MichaelHo

Daniel James aka HybridTwo has been banned today by moderator.

This poll is to ask audience for opinion
... and any other comment,
... please without insulting phrases.

If you want to submit a score suggestion to this drama, please feel free.

Mike Greene

This was a timeout, not a banning. He can come back any time, as I explain here:

RogiervG

ppp to fff thinker
OMG.. please people, stop uprising the drama...
It's a despute between mike and Daniel. Both did things wrong in their own rights..
Both are friendly, honest and talented people, let's leave it there.
(even if this is a Drama zone)

Fever Phoenix

yes, it's true, I can tap dance.
regarding other crap that was going on, maybe consider having Daniel back? @Mike Greene ?

Of course you guys do a marvelous job moderating the forum. Can't you guys have a chat on the phone and make up already? Good people, good forum, re-unite. And happy new year, anyway! Thanks to all the exchange, help, feedback, tipps, the great developers of marvelous tools, composers helping each other, creators sharing knowledge. I love this damn forum and refuse to push the negativity.

Be safe, make great music and inspire the world!

(also I had a lot of champagne and am sentimental..)

Olfirf

It is a bit stupid to make a poll on such a topic ... it reminds me a of Roman emperors during the games. When a gladiator lost, they were looking at the crowd for affirmation. Should the gladiator be killed or left alive? Thumb up, thumb down ... is that really a decision that should be voted on?
I would rather have someone like headshot back. Should I also start a poll on that? And what about all the other people banned who were not as popular? Should there be VIP members who always get back by popular vote?

Sometimes I think we haven’t REALLY advanced that much since the Romans ...

Which is why I voted against unbanning. It is not because I am against him, just against that shitty VIP treatment that seems to go on here.

Last edited:

ProfoundSilence

It is a bit stupid to make a poll on such a topic ... it reminds me a of Roman emperors during the games. When a gladiator lost, they were looking at the crowd for affirmation. Should the gladiator be killed or left alive? Thumb up, thumb down ... is that really a decision that should be voted on?
I would rather have someone like headshot back. Should I also start a poll on that? And what about all the other people banned who were not as popular? Should there be VIP members who always get back by popular vote?

Sometimes I think we haven’t REALLY advanced that much since the Romans ...

Which is why I voted against unbanning. It is not because I am against him, just against that shitty VIP treatment that seems to go on here.
well I mean unbanning him but not others would be VIP treatment, but still I get it, all or nothing.

and no we haven't advanced since then, and anyone who thinks we are somehow more advanced scares me.

5Lives

He is an instigator unfortunately- and clearly had an agenda, especially against Spitfire. I’d been a fan previously but he jumped on me for no reason in the BBCSO thread and joined in the mob mentality staypuft created. His music is rather one dimensional so his videos have tended to became the same stuff (if it sounds epic, he loves it and if it can’t do braams, it is useless). Just don’t think he is a positive contributor to the community any longer. My 2 cents.

KallumS

Daniel James... Wow, that's a name I haven't heard for a long time. I wonder what that guy's up to now? It seems like only last month that he was here raising hell.

ProfoundSilence

He is an instigator unfortunately- and clearly had an agenda, especially against Spitfire. I’d been a fan previously but he jumped on me for no reason in the BBCSO thread and joined in the mob mentality staypuft created. His music is rather one dimensional so his videos have tended to became the same stuff (if it sounds epic, he loves it and if it can’t do braams, it is useless). Just don’t think he is a positive contributor to the community any longer. My 2 cents.
very classy. I'm not into epic, or Daniel James, but he's still talented, and calling him one dimensional is a bit silly. Also, staypuft came from nowhere and left just as quickly- what "mob mentality" is he responsible for? the kind where someone's self proclaimed "fan" turns around and knives him in the back after others turn on him and he got banned?

pal, you ARE the mob mentality - condensed in an unintentionally ironic single post.

oh well, glad people devolved into taling cheap shots at him, but its okay, I'm sure you're a talented no-one dimensional composer who is a "positive contributor" and we are all happy to have you in this looming threat of daniel James lurking in the shadows

5Lives

very classy. I'm not into epic, or Daniel James, but he's still talented, and calling him one dimensional is a bit silly. Also, staypuft came from nowhere and left just as quickly- what "mob mentality" is he responsible for? the kind where someone's self proclaimed "fan" turns around and knives him in the back after others turn on him and he got banned?

pal, you ARE the mob mentality - condensed in an unintentionally ironic single post.

oh well, glad people devolved into taling cheap shots at him, but its okay, I'm sure you're a talented no-one dimensional composer who is a "positive contributor" and we are all happy to have you in this looming threat of daniel James lurking in the shadows
Thanks for taking time out from your usual “OT can do no wrong” posts.

You can be talented - and still limited or shall I say focused in your music. You just alluded to this by calling his music “epic”. What Daniel does, he does well, but it is clear that colors his views of libraries and developers. It makes his video quite biased rather than objective in my opinion. Of course, that’s his prerogative. Where it becomes detrimental is him coming here and smearing developers with unfounded accusations. If you read through the BBCSO thread, you’d see this and him joining staypuft and others with whipping up artificial frenzy with their false accusations and assumptions. I for one called him out in one of his posts and he apologized to me over PM, at which point I thought it was done and I told him I enjoyed many of his previous videos. Then out of nowhere, after I asked for clarification from staypuft who was claiming the SINE player was going to revolutionize the industry (without it even being out or him using it), Daniel attacks me for posing the question. It was clearly very much a Spitfire sucks, OT is awesome mob mentality they were drumming up. Why create that environment and push away the Spitfire guys who are engaging with us? Especially a bad look given Daniel is a developer himself.

ProfoundSilence

I didn't read it because I pointed out my waning interest after I did the math on articulations, instruments, and size and realized it wouldn't be deeply sampled. That got the fans riled up and I just don't have the interest to say much negative about companies.

I actually rarely do that, and while I do enjoy OT I have no issues pointing out the issues, aswell as plenty ot over developers whom I'm happy to sing praise of. That said I have no reason to hold you to the standard of reading all my posts[ironically a fraction the length of the bbsco thread that's literally almost 8000 posts, which is the standard you just held me to]

sorry if my avatar confused you, it was a joke - I was taking a jab at their new branding inwhich the fades and color palette reminded me of corn dogs.

ProfoundSilence

On Daniel's live stream yesterday he said other people had been banned previously and allowed to return. Is that true? if so that wouldn't mean VIP treatment. I found this forum thanks to his Youtube videos, I was sad to see he was banned.
there were some(likely banned prior to Mike's purchase) that were allowed to come back, even some that were banned by him. Criteria seems to be pretty consistent, if you can play well with others - and dont cause a huge amount of work for the moderation team, it doesn't seem to be an issue.

some rather infamous ex forum members have returned and were banned when it turned into a problem. Granted that's not always because of their immediate forum behavior, but if you burn enough bridges the same rivalries can re-ignite and the simpler solution is to ban the few rather than the many.

DJ worries me because he sometimes takes it further than he can walk back. Right or wrong doesn't matter, because people can get really petty and normal threads are turned into battle zones.

it's possible daniel has simply decided not to try to come back yet, maybe he's expecting an invitation, but my personal opinion is that he kind of evade the subject of ViC on his other platforms and just quietly come back.

I dont really consistently agree or disagree with Daniel, but I do want to see his return actually be pleasant for him, as well as the forum.

Olfirf

I cannot see those I am talking about to have been invited back. And, frankly, it wouldn’t mean a lot, as there is a part of this community that doesn’t want them back and would act towards them getting banned again.

It is obvious that in this forum you cannot say what you think because some people consider certain things offensive, although true - they probably cannot handle certain truths ...

Also, it is obvious that you cannot be blunt with certain VIP members or possibly get banned. I guess that is the dark side of having VIP members. Some people will always think they need to be protected regardless of wether they are right or not. And that, at least concerning developer VIPs leads to talk about products being discussed uncritically ... which again leads to certain members go overboard with trash talk, as this is just a possible reaction in the eyes of censorship.

All of this leads to the quite toxic atmosphere here at times, which is regrettable, as it could be avoided by not favoring certain types of people and stop banning others. I would totally prefer some critical minds like Headshot or those who were banned in context of his banning over the Spitfire guys or Hans Zimmer posting here. But that is just me ... :)

Last edited:

Mike Greene

I cannot see those I am talking about to have been invited back.
Like who? It's very rare that I don't let people come back. Even in Headshot's case, I invited him back a couple years ago, and then again a month or so ago. Each time he declined. Of the other people involved in that same drama, most were also invited back, and a few are doing fine here.

On Daniel's live stream ... he did also say in a stream that he did request to come back but it was refused but I can't verify that personally.
No, he has never asked. He did contact me in December to complain (but not ask) that I had not already reinstated him, and also to point out various mistakes that I made in all of this. (No mistakes on his end.) I've learned not to engage in conversations like that, so that was pretty much it. I did give him my email and phone number and told him to get in touch if he's ready to have a more thoughtful conversation.

As I've said before, I like Daniel, and I'd love to have him back. However, I can't keep going through this routine once a year. (Same thing happened in 2018.) It's certainly no fun seeing the forum and myself dragged through the mud in his FB and Twitter feeds, but better to just let this be the last time for that and be done with it. I'll never please everybody anyway, so I'm at peace with that.

To ProfoundSilence's point about burning bridges, that is certainly in play here. In both 2018 and again in this episode, Daniel knew full well what sort of reaction his Facebook and Twitter posts would get. Creating a scene where his followers feel motivated to call me an asshole, a dick, a jerk, a shit show, and various other things is not without consequence. Should I be above that? Perhaps. But as my grandfather would say, if you keep poking the big dog, and the dog eventually bites you, that's your fault, not the dog's fault.

I am a big gaming fan so was hoping to ask some gaming related questions which might be silly so don't want to do them on the live stream and have people laugh at me.
Welcome to the forum. Even the most seasoned amongst us were once newbies, so no one is going to laugh at your questions here. If they do, let me know and I'll ban them! ;)

ProfoundSilence

Thank you I appreciate that. Sometimes it's hard to tell which questions are silly and which are so silly you will be laughed at, so I thought it would be better to not ask on a live stream in front of 100 odd people who seemed to know what they were talking about already.

Thank you for responding on this. I didn't know the whole story. I am sorry to hear you got called names after this situation no one should resort to name calling, it's never a good look and it can be hurtful. Daniel did show some comments from here about him on a recent live stream and it looks like he gets some nasty things said about him too. It's very sad to see in both directions. I hope you two can work this out. I am new here but most people seem nice but a few can be less than nice. The same with Daniel he seems nice but some of his followers can be less than nice too (particularly the ones calling you silly names).

Thank you for responding and I hope everyone can friends again soon :dancer:
FWIW, anytime somebody takes a cheap shot at him while he's banned somebody says something. I know I personally pointed that out (as politely as I could) despite not having a horse in that race.

if you have any questions you think are silly PM me, its musicians helping musicians after all. Might take a bit to get a response due to my schedule, but I'll get to them