What's new

PocketBlakus - Emotional Solo Cello Freebie (Kontakt 4.2.4+)

Hi Tomislav, is it possible for you to reupload the spiccato patch? I seem to have found this post just a bit too late.

OK, here is another link.

https://we.tl/t-zYngeQDRoI
BTW, I wasn't aware that the links sent with the free version of WeTransfer expire so soon.

Looking for a good cello I stumbled upon PocketBlakus, just to try before spending actual money. Download from VSTbuzz is good (including spiccato), but when I try loading the legato patch in Kontakt it says: "Your version of Kontakt is too old". No problem with the spiccato patch. I have the latest Kontakt 5 version. Has PocketBlakus been made in Kontakt 6? That would explain why it shows this message.

Looking for a good cello I stumbled upon PocketBlakus, just to try before spending actual money. Download from VSTbuzz is good (including spiccato), but when I try loading the legato patch in Kontakt it says: "Your version of Kontakt is too old". No problem with the spiccato patch. I have the latest Kontakt 5 version. Has PocketBlakus been made in Kontakt 6? That would explain why it shows this message.
You can download Kontakt6 Player.

Ah, it works in Player too? Thanks!

Unfortunately, I wouldn't bet on that. pocketBlackus, as most of the free Kontakt libraries, require a full version of Kontakt to run without the time limitations. BTW, this is quite an old library now, possibly made even before Kontakt 5, so this message about having too old version to run it seems weird to me. I'm guessing that the folks at VSTBuzz did a batch resave operation on their version of pocketBlakus in Kontakt 6, hence this error when trying to open it with Kontakt 5.

Ah, it works in Player too? Thanks!
You can try in several minutes, it is in demo mode. Me too have the latest Kontakt 5 version, but I am using it with KontaktPlayer6 for comparing with my First Chair cello Lass :) and also using pocketBlakus for my suitable project.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't bet on that. pocketBlackus, as most of the free Kontakt libraries, require a full version of Kontakt to run without the time limitations. BTW, this is quite an old library now, possibly made even before Kontakt 5, so this message about having too old version to run it seems weird to me. I'm guessing that the folks at VSTBuzz did a batch resave operation on their version of pocketBlakus in Kontakt 6, hence this error when trying to open it with Kontakt 5.
Thank you.

Well, as it does work in Player 6 I assume you're right about the batch resave. But it's a moot point, as this is not up to par compared to newer commercial celli. Still, as I understand it, PB is a sort of early "homemade" VSTi and as such a wellmade attempt.
Thanks to all for your comments!

But it's a moot point, as this is not up to par compared to newer commercial celli. Still, as I understand it, PB is a sort of early "homemade" VSTi and as such a wellmade attempt.

Actually, this still remains one of the very best free Kontakt instruments I've encountered. While being a bit rough around the edge and with the scripted legato, the original samples were performed beautifully by Blake Robinson, who was also involved in creating of the commercial "Blakus Cello" from Embertone. I'm using this as an alternative to Artisan Cello from Spitfire Audio which is the most detailed solo cello library I have for the time being.

Actually, this still remains one of the very best free Kontakt instruments I've encountered. While being a bit rough around the edge and with the scripted legato, the original samples were performed beautifully by Blake Robinson, who was also involved in creating of the commercial "Blakus Cello" from Embertone. I'm using this as an alternative to Artisan Cello from Spitfire Audio which is the most detailed solo cello library I have for the time being.
I am deeply impressed by Embertone's Joshua Bell and find it a joy to use. This draws me in the direction of Blakus Cello. However, it's a few years older than Joshua Bell and I wonder if the playability is comparable between the two. Also, Embertone has now 2 violins (Friedlander and Bell) and I keep wondering if they intend to produce a second cello, especially now that Blakus is priced down. I wonder whether I should wait a bit...

I am deeply impressed by Embertone's Joshua Bell and find it a joy to use. This draws me in the direction of Blakus Cello. However, it's a few years older than Joshua Bell and I wonder if the playability is comparable between the two. Also, Embertone has now 2 violins (Friedlander and Bell) and I keep wondering if they intend to produce a second cello, especially now that Blakus is priced down. I wonder whether I should wait a bit...

The embertone Blakus cello has its good points. But it isn’t remotely in the same league as the JB.

Its biggest limitation in my estimation is that it has only a single dynamic layer (compared to the 4 dynamic layers of the JB).

In general, its 2 or three generations behind the still entirely state of the art JB.

I just downloaded the pocketBlakus from VSTBuzz and did find out, that there is only single .nki - pocketBlakus exp_legato_1.6.nki - the second one (spiccato) is missing.

Also on the product page there is mentioned it is an 70MB download, but it only has 51MB, so maybe the actual link to library points to some "older" or some actual "stripped up" version or something like this? Can someone give me the link to full library?

Last edited:
I just found this:

So apparently there was a spiccato patch, and maybe it was bundled at some point, but it doesn't seem to be around anymore. :(

OK, here is a copy of "pocketBlakus" from my personal collection. I downloaded this long ago from a forum thread, incl. the spiccato patch that was later added. However, for some reason, I've always had an error about the missing wallpaper for this additional patch, even though it's included in the download.

Here is a WeTransfer link, so hurry up:

https://we.tl/t-GqR7ogOHCl

OK, here is a copy of "pocketBlakus" from my personal collection. I downloaded this long ago from a forum thread, incl. the spiccato patch that was later added. However, for some reason, I've always had an error about the missing wallpaper for this additional patch, even though it's included in the download.
Amazing, thanks so much!

However, for some reason, I've always had an error about the missing wallpaper for this additional patch, even though it's included in the download.
Just in case you don't know, if you open "pocketBlakus" with the wrench, then go to "Instrument Options", under "Instrument", you will see the browser under "Instrument Wallpaper". You can use that to browse to the wallpaper and you should be rid of error problem.

Thankyou for the DL Tom. :)

Could you please share this file again?
I really need spiccato for my first dance at the wedding...
I bought the full version of Kontakt for this cello today and found the plugin incomplete.

Could you please share this file again?
I really need spiccato for my first dance at the wedding...
I bought the full version of Kontakt for this cello today and found the plugin incomplete.
You’re a new member with 1 post. Welcome to this forum.

Please understand that Tomislav is not in any way representing the people who sold you the Pocket Blakus VI. (Or actually gave you the instrument).

I am wondering though…. Wouldn’t a normal coarse of action be to contact the reseller who sold you the product? Rather than go on a forum and ask someone you’ve never met to put in the effort to help you?

Of course this forum is all about musicians helping musicians, but this request does come across as… I don’t know… asking a little too much from someone you don’t know? Maybe it would be polite to introduce yourself first or something? Instead of making your first post a request like this?

Anyway. It’s none of my business. Welcome on this forum. And congratulations with the wedding.

Top Bottom