PLZ help with: Mic - Headphone - DAW Hook-up Dilemma

sostenuto

Big NKS Fan !
Recently purchased Schitt Audio Modi DAC + Asgard 3 Preamp. Fones are Beyer DT880 Pro 600-ohm. Monitors are Presonus Eris E8(s) already here for different usage. Very pleased with results so far !

Problem - Now want to add single, decent, vocal mic .... and nowhere to connect :notworthy:
Thought USB Mic Preamp would be answer, but choices seem fuzzy and/or pricey. Can add Clarett 2Pre USB, and switch Win10 Pro Audio as needed ..... but cost will now get into RME Babyface Pro FS or higher range. Could have gone there earlier ..... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

BassClef

What are you inputting to your Asgard preamp? Analog or digital from your PC? Or Digital from your PC to the DAC then to the preamp? I don't know what your plan to record with a mic, but there are some very good USB mics that would plug into your PC.

OP
sostenuto

sostenuto

Big NKS Fan !
What are you inputting to your Asgard preamp? Analog or digital from your PC? Or Digital from your PC to the DAC then to the preamp? I don't know what your plan to record with a mic, but there are some very good USB mics that would plug into your PC.
Digital (Toslink) from PC to Modi DAC to Asgard 3. Asgard 3 has Preamp out to Eris E8 monitors.
(unfortunately, plugging in Headphones disconnects Monitors) ....

Infrequent need for Vocal only. Saw some USB Mics when searching, but no basis for initially considering as option. May be easy answer if quality is acceptable to capable, non-pro vocalists ?

Audio-Technica AT2020 or Blue Yeti Nano Premium look like possibilities ...... :unsure:

Rode NT1-A Anniversary Vocal Cardioid Condenser Microphone Package is no more cost than mid-range Audio I/F(s) if it surpasses others for vocals.

THX!

Last edited:

BassClef

I have the current NT-1, using it with a Scarlett 2 pre usb interface. Before I bought the interface I used. Couple different usb mics like the Yeti and they were surprisingly good. I believe the anniversary package you mention still does not include an interface. You will need that or some other type of mic preamp.

OP
sostenuto

sostenuto

Big NKS Fan !
Thank-you very much ! I looked thru specs and did not see the USB info expected. Yeti is likely fine for near-term needs.

A bit perplexed now as to what directions I could have gone to end up with upper tier quality for 600-ohm headphones, solid vocal Mic, current powered monitors (but better later). Not a 'firm' cost limit, but was hoping RME Babyface Pro LS would have worked, at less than $1K. Now, not so sure ....

Perhaps Clarett 2 Pre USB will be better current choice, at $320. - $440. Still limitations, as Win10 Pro handles (1) Audio I/F at a time ... right ?

Puzzled, since DAW#2 has (2) Saffire Pro14(s) setup in Reaper to get inputs from (2) different MIDI keyboard controllers, and output to (2) different speaker systems _ concurrently.
DAW #1 & #2 are virtually identical hardware and software. C urrent focus has been DAW #2, as its ASUS MB has Toslink Out and DAW#1 does not ..... even though MB series are very close.

Last edited:

BassClef

Not sure I follow you on DAW 1&2. I run LogicProX on a Mac with digital output (USB) going to my audio interface, so I have no idea how you would/could handle digital out going to different interfaces. I suggest you contact someone like Sweetwater Sound and tell them exactly what you have and what you want to do. They will offer suggestions.