What's new

Plugin for protecting my precious ears...

J-M

A glorified bedroom composer...
So this little thing happened: made music, all good, enabled a track in VEPro and BAM: over 40db of white noise just blasts though my speakers. My poor ears, my poor heart. Apparently this has also been an issue in the past with Cubase and VEPro. Does anyone know a plugin that instantly mutes everything when the signal goes past a set threshold? I'd love insert one in my master chain...

So this little thing happened: made music, all good, enabled a track in VEPro and BAM: over 40db of white noise just blasts though my speakers. My poor ears, my poor heart. Apparently this has also been an issue in the past with Cubase and VEPro. Does anyone know a plugin that instantly mutes everything when the signal goes past a set threshold? I'd love insert one in my master chain...

In reaper you can easily set that up as a function of the DAW with your own threshold. Has helped me multiple times. You should request it as a feature for the DAW you are using. I think it's irresponsible not to offer such relatively simple to implement health safety features.

In reaper you can easily set that up as a function of the DAW with your own threshold. Has helped me multiple times. You should request it as a feature for the DAW you are using. I think it's irresponsible not to offer such relatively simple to implement health safety features.
It's saved me a small handful of times in REAPER. I just assumed it was standard equipment across all DAW's (see what happens when you 'assume').

No software can protect your ears or your equipment 100%. There can be unexpected crashes, noise bursts etc.

The only way to seriously protect yourself is to get a physical monitor controller in the chain. It is well worth the investment.
Amps can also malfunction so I suggest having either your amps or some sort of power switch within reach.

What I would do now is put my ears on rest for 2 or 3 days, I had the same problem and this is what I did. And I must say that in my everyday life I never go outside my home without some protection in my ears !

Nugen Audio SigMod

2.png

Protect speakers, ears & sanity

Insert the Protect unit across your output bus and this safety module will automatically cut in to prevent bursts of noise or feedback howls due to system errors, saving both your nerves and your speakers. Manual or auto reset options give you the level of protection you need - a real gift when working with headphones!

https://nugenaudio.com/sigmod/

JEPA has it - Sigmod is the best tool for this. And I do sympathise MrLinissi - I've had that apocalyptic smash on enabling a VE Pro track sometimes. Sigmod has restored my shattered nerves, works seamlessly.

Reactions: J-M
The problem with using a limiter is that it affects how you hear anything that peaks or gets close to peaking and you won't even notice it.

If your aim is to reduce the level of things that get 'too loud,' you're going to have to reduce the signal when it overshoots a specified threshold. You've just designed a limiter.

I guess I don't get the prompt. You want a limiter but instead of reducing the signal, it just shuts off your speakers?

That's either annoying: set at a reasonable level, your speakers cut out every time you were going to peak. Or useless: you set a truly disastrous level you more rarely reach, then +39dB will still destroy your ears but +40dB gets clamped.

And if they do either 'softly,' as in reducing level via an unobtrusive ramp, we're just back at a limiter.

that's why I ended buying SigMod, exactly because of this VEPro failure...

Currently in talks with Paul from Vienna, he just sent me a demo of VEPro 7 to see if it happens in there as well, another user reported that his problem was fixed in VEPro 7. I'll probably end up buying SigMod...or if Ice9 works as a .dll file without any installation needed, perhaps some kind soul could share it to me via dropbox or something? (The only reason I dare to even suggest this is because it was free when it was available)

Currently in talks with Paul from Vienna, he just sent me a demo of VEPro 7 to see if it happens in there as well, another user reported that his problem was fixed in VEPro 7. I'll probably end up buying SigMod...or if Ice9 works as a .dll file without any installation needed, perhaps some kind soul could share it to me via dropbox or something? (The only reason I dare to even suggest this is because it was free when it was available)
actually I mean VEPro7, it happened to me with the new VEPro7 version on mac...

Top Bottom