What's new

Plugin Boutique hack 71% off - £179 for Ozone 8 & Neutron 2 Advanced

The Izotope portal seemed to have issues with installing Ozone 8. At least on my system. I watched what it said it was doing a couple of times (during which, nothing appeared in the directories it said it was installing stuff into). Yes, it asked for permission to make changes and I gave it. Nada. It only worked when I downloaded an offline installer, and ran it as administrator. FWIW. Neutron was fine.
Win10-latest.

This is one of those things that I find frustrating - I don't mind paying a fair price for software, I do mind having to hunt them down and finding different deals all over the place.

This crossgrade is a wonderful example:
  • At Izotope it is on sale for $249 until until 3/31
  • At Plugin Boutique it is on sale for $349, with the Reuben's coupon it is $198.14
  • At JRR shop it is on sale for $249, with their "group" coupon it is $209.16.
JRR shop is here in the US, while Plugin Boutique appears to be in England, and there are fees associated with currency conversion no matter how you pay. So it probably is a wash, or very close.

Maybe I'm the odd man out, but sometimes this makes me weary, and annoyed. Do I spend time checking with every reseller and chase developer's discounts? Do I just pay whatever the going rate is on a specific day? (I generally make purchases when I need things, or better yet just before I need them so I have time to learn them).

I like RX and Ozone, I'm still using Ozone 6, not sure I really need to upgrade, but I am thinking about it.

I have yet to feel really burned by a huge discount down the road, but the lack of consistency is starting to grow old, or at least it is starting to really influence my purchasing habits, and not in a manner that benefits developers.

I think NI made a huge miscalculation with their NKS deals, although my paranoid self wonders if they aren't actually trying to undermine 3rd party developers - which I still think is a misstep.

Which is not to suggest I haven't taken advantage of a couple of those deals.

And I've gotten enough use from Repro and Diva so I have no regrets about paying full price for them, but I imagine someone that purchased them 31 days (or whatever the time window is) before the sale was announced would feel (justifiably) a little bitter.

OK, that's enough whining for one day...

Sometimes I think about not buying certain products where there is a lot of confusion involved. A great example is the upgrades in your Izotope account. IK is another one when it comes to upgrades.

The Izotope portal seemed to have issues with installing Ozone 8. At least on my system. I watched what it said it was doing a couple of times (during which, nothing appeared in the directories it said it was installing stuff into). Yes, it asked for permission to make changes and I gave it. Nada. It only worked when I downloaded an offline installer, and ran it as administrator. FWIW. Neutron was fine.
Win10-latest.
As I discovered, one gotcha with Ozone (at least Elements, but I assume other versions too) is that it's tricky to install for a non-Admin account in Windows 10.

If this applies to you, the trick seems to be to make the account you want to use temporarily have admin rights, run the installer, then put the account back to normal.

The installer seems to put stuff in the Documents folder and Registry for whichever account is used to install it; and without thee goodies, it crashed before I got very far at all.

IZotope support got back to me today, saying huh, that’s weird, run the installer again. Which I did, as administrator from the shift-right-click menu, and yes, I am a machine admin on my machine. And yes, it worked.
My point was the portal couldn’t make files land in the target directories, despite me granting it authority to do so. My suspicion is that they missed something in the portal scripts.
Maybe that doesn’t matter, since I got it to work. Eventually.

Is this deal worth it if I already own a good chunk of Fabfilter's stuff? All looks attractive because of the extra features. Never used Izotope before

Is this deal worth it if I already own a good chunk of Fabfilter's stuff? All looks attractive because of the extra features. Never used Izotope before
Plug for plug, I like FF and opted for their FX bundle over this a while back. Izotope does offer a few products that FF doesn't though. I hate unnecessary duplicates, but at this price, I'm wondering as well.

I absolutely love Fab Filter plugins. Izotope tends to be the solution I reach for when time pressure is mounting and I need a "quick master". I use Fab Filter for finessing when I have a bit more time.

If the code is the same as the one I was emailed, then it expires at 23:59 today (31 March) so there's not long to decide if you wanted to use it. I'm assuming that's 23:59 UK time, which is less than 5 hours from now but I could be wrong.

I wonder if buying through Plugin Boutique qualifies me for the $50 off in April offer mentioned above.
Not that I'm looking to buy any more Izotope stuff, but just in case they come out with Ozone 9 in April and it's, say, $50 to upgrade.;)

I absolutely love Fab Filter plugins. Izotope tends to be the solution I reach for when time pressure is mounting and I need a "quick master". I use Fab Filter for finessing when I have a bit more time.
Yeah as someone trying get my feet wet in production music I feel like I could make the mixing process a little less arduous for myself if I've got something that does some heavy lifting. I know I could recreate everything Izotope does with Fab Filter stuff, but perhaps I'd be able to mix faster with Izotope. Tripping at the finish line, not sure if I'm going to get the bundle.

Since I'm not so good at mixing and mastering, I find O8N2 very useful to make some suggestions for me as good sounding starting points.

Top Bottom