What's new

Plugin Alliance - best two plugins?

Bman70

Membery Member
Well since PA is spewing coupons again... I'm considering either the Lindell 80 or Focusrite SC. Which is the most loved?

twtyler

Well since PA is spewing coupons again... I'm considering either the Lindell 80 or Focusrite SC. Which is the most loved?
As much as I love both if them, I always lean towards the Lindell. Sounds amazing, totally inspiring, really easy to use. I can't believe this thing can be had for $30.

vitocorleone123

Just depends on whether you want a more vintage sound or modern clean. Both are good. I generally like the Lindell stuff among the best of anything PA puts out, but isn't the right choice for all genres, instruments, etc.

I received the Focusrite strip free from Focusrite with my audio interface. Lindell I bought.

That said, I typically don't use channel strips because I typically mix in Mixbus32C - which is a giant, plugin hosting channel strip.

Last edited:

jcrosby

Metric AB is one of the most useful plugins I own, and it's broadly useful regardless of genre. That would be my 1st recommendation to anyone asking this question, everything else comes down to personal needs/musical taste, etc...

Bman70

Membery Member
Metric AB is one of the most useful plugins I own, and it's broadly useful regardless of genre. That would be my 1st recommendation to anyone asking this question, everything else comes down to personal needs/musical taste, etc...
I keep wanting to grab Metric AB, but I don't really mix often by comparing to reference tracks. I mix by struggling and wrestling with each component until it sounds as good as I can get it in the overall sound. I've done reference track matching with Ozone, but it felt just like slapping another preset on it, not solving fundamental mix problems. Still I want Metric AB because I'm convinced it's an essential tool. :laugh:

jcrosby

I keep wanting to grab Metric AB, but I don't really mix often by comparing to reference tracks. I mix by struggling and wrestling with each component until it sounds as good as I can get it in the overall sound. I've done reference track matching with Ozone, but it felt just like slapping another preset on it, not solving fundamental mix problems. Still I want Metric AB because I'm convinced it's an essential tool. :laugh:
It's great, and what's makes it way more useful than Ozone's reference section are all of the meters, and really well thought out tools...

You can compare your stereo image to the references, you can check your LU or RMS, overlap spectrums to see how the lows/mids/highs/ of your track compare.... You can even solo different frequnecy bands too. For example, compare your sub to the reference's sub...

On top of that it will match levels of the references to your track (by hitting the 'match' button), which has a huge impact on how you perceive the comparison of your track to a reference.

It's basically a one stop shop for referencing and metering that eliminates the need for multiple plugins...

Last edited:

Loïc D

Monkeying with libraries
It's great, and what's makes it way more useful than Ozone's reference section are all of the meters, and really well thought out tools...

You can compare your stereo image to the references, you can check your LU or RMS, overlap spectrums to see how the lows/mids/highs/ of your track compare.... You can even solo different frequnecy bands too. For example, compare your sub to the reference's sub...

On top of that it will match levels of the references to your track (by hitting the 'match' button), which has a huge impact on how you perceive the comparison of your track to a reference.

It's basically a one stop shop for referencing and metering that eliminates the need for multiple plugins...
Good to know, I was also wondering how it compares to Ozone reference feature.

I went for Knifonium, great sound but eats CPU for breakfast.

Macrawn

Good to know, I was also wondering how it compares to Ozone reference feature.

I went for Knifonium, great sound but eats CPU for breakfast.
Well Ozone has eq match which I don't think metric ab has and it's very good. You put your reference into ozone and you can ab it like metric ab but you can also put the match plugin on your master and it will listen to your music and the reference and create an eq curve. Then you can dial in how much of the new curve you want. Very useful.

Metric AB is nice too. It has a lot of additional features ozone doesn't have. I saw an engineer named Streaky who has done some big time records do a vid on metric ab. He just uses it to AB sounds and doesn't get too deep on the features. One thing he does a lot is reference current mix vs past mix to make sure he is improving not wrecking the master with his changes. I guess what I'm saying is simple is good sometimes, it doesn't have to be complicated.

Just like mid side processing. People can get too carried away with certain things like that and wreck the mix. Setting all the extra crap metric ab does aside, it does allow you to isolate things better than the ozone reference thing and you can get metric AB cheap vs Ozone 9. Ozone 9 does do exactly what you want for an ab reference plugin though without getting overly complicated.

For the discounted price metric ab is an amazing deal and anyone who doesn't have a plugin for track reference should give this a try.

Stringtree

I know it's supposed to be two choices, but here are the ones I have and like a lot:

DearVR Pro - I'm mixing 5.1 on my living room setup with Reaper, and it's awesome.
Black Box HG-2 - This witchcraft adds heft and presence. Super-cul. A/B? It's staying in!
SH Mastering Comp - Like a pipe organ of compressors. Or that ice cream place in Venezuela. Wow.

With the coupon and the loyalty voucher, the Lindell 80 series is gonna be $24.99, so I'm not going to be around much for a while. I can hear the fur and the thump.

EDIT: After 15 minutes with the Lindell 80 series, I'm in love. One panel gives such graceful control, from subtle to insane. If I had to pick one, this would be it. A voice over track just boomed to life, and the A/B sounds like A is a telephone in comparison. It wasn't that bad, but the sculpting capabilities and the compression means B stays. Outrageous.

Last edited:
Top Bottom