What's new

Plug in for subtle pitch shift over time/phrase?

Does a plug in exist that would allow very subtle pitch shifting automated over time? For example a sax sample that would start the note slightly flat or slightly bend into the next note.

I'm doing a sax concerto and the sampled sax is a bit too rigid despite tons of volume/tonal changes.. I'm talking a few cents, not full semi tones.

My Samplitude DAW will allow the pitch shift, but not sure if it allows me to create a pitch automation like volume. Haven't found how yet anyway...

This would all be on audio, not midi, tracks.

Sound Toys used to have one - Pure Pitch - but I don't think it's around anymore.

I'd just make a pass with the pitch wheel, but program it so it only goes up or down a semitone (to make it easier to control, although it's easy enough to edit the data afterward).

You can also automate any pitch-shifting plug-in if you like its quality better than just changing the sample rate (which is what the pitch wheel does).

You can also automate any pitch-shifting plug-in if you like its quality better than just changing the sample rate (which is what the pitch wheel does).
Fast reply. Thank you. I updated my post to reflect that this is for audio tracks, not midi. Would the pitch wheel, or drawing "curves into the automation", work somehow with audio tracks?

Fast reply. Thank you. I updated my post to reflect that this is for audio tracks, not midi. Would the pitch wheel, or drawing "curves into the automation", work somehow with audio tracks?

Then you need to automate a pitch-shifting plug-in.

What DAW do you use? Dollars to donuts it comes with one.

izotope RX has that feature. However, the handling is not very handy.

What you have to keep in mind:

If you are applying this effect to audio which has slight amounts of room tone in it, maybe you will get results that sound really frustrating.
While the ear has no problem in ignoring lots of important data, it will be extremely sensible to the reverb that is in the audio. If it changes its pitch, the room tone will sound quite unnatural.

Besides that, Soundtoys' Little Alterboy, as mentioned by Nick, seems a good advice that you should try.

Thanks much all. I use Samplitude and did find the "elastic audio" option for clips to work well, although it seems to lack the more obvious "points" used to automate volume. Still, it is helping.

Will check out the other options mentioned as well.

Would automating the pitch bend parameter be a valid option, too? Also time shift/pitch bending is the essence of chorus fx, and some chorus plugins will allow you to play the modulated voice only, so you can have an lfo-wavering pitch bend that way too.

Would automating the pitch bend parameter be a valid option, too? Also time shift/pitch bending is the essence of chorus fx, and some chorus plugins will allow you to play the modulated voice only, so you can have an lfo-wavering pitch bend that way too.
Good idea. I'll keep that as an option too. Thanks.

Top Bottom