What's new

Plogue chipsynth SFC is out!

SFC (Super Famicom/Nintendo) is sample based, not synth so it reproduces just that :)

Thanks.

I'm not a purist when it comes to Chipsounds, so the Audiothing's miniBit 8-bit Synth is more than enough for my needs, I can use all sorts of additional effects to process the sounds of miniBit, like bit crushers, distortion, delays, ..etc. if I need to get more variety.

I even think Plogue's Chipsounds is an overkill for my needs.

Thanks.

I'm not a purist when it comes to Chipsounds, so the Audiothing's miniBit 8-bit Synth is more than enough for my needs, I can use all sorts of additional effects to process the sounds of miniBit, like bit crushers, distortion, delays, ..etc. if I need to get more variety.

I even think Plogue's Chipsounds is an overkill for my needs.

Yeah, chipsynth SPC is about reproducing the iconic sound of the SFC (believe me it's unique) while chipsounds is best for emulating older chips such as the 2A03 (NTSC NES) or the SID 6581/8580 (Commodore 64). The SNES was 16 bit, those older systems were 8bit using sine/triangle waves etc.

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

Anyone here using Plogue's Chipsounds 8-bit Synth ? Your thoughts about it, worth buying ?

I'm also looking forward for the C64 chip emulation Synth to be released.

I got Audio Thing minibit 8-bit Chiptune VST Synth last month, I think it was on discount for $13. , It's $20. now, Love this synth, one of the best $13. I spent. :2thumbs:

https://www.audiothing.net/instruments/minibit/

I love both Minibit and MIniverb. The last updates really improved on tons of stuff and its all you need for 8bit chiptune.

On the other hand, 16bit consoles used different chips - SNES mostly sample based and the Genesis/MegaDrive used FM Synth. For Genesis I use the Inphonik RYM2612, which has a drag n drop feature similar to this plogue one.

I really dig both

Bought this last night, it's pretty great! Scratches a pretty big itch for me.

Does the 'grab' reverb function work for anyone?

I love both Minibit and MIniverb. The last updates really improved on tons of stuff and its all you need for 8bit chiptune.

On the other hand, 16bit consoles used different chips - SNES mostly sample based and the Genesis/MegaDrive used FM Synth. For Genesis I use the Inphonik RYM2612, which has a drag n drop feature similar to this plogue one.

I really dig both

Thanks for the helpful feedback.

I don't have Miniverb, or RYM2612, I will consider adding them.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Reactions: f11
Bought this last night, it's pretty great! Scratches a pretty big itch for me.

Does the 'grab' reverb function work for anyone?

Yeah it works, but you might wanna solo the track you want. Otherwise you'd end up with more samples than the pool can load. Remember that it only 'grabs' the samples that have played, it's a not a SPC sample ripper by any stretch

Yeah it works, but you might wanna solo the track you want. Otherwise you'd end up with more samples than the pool can load. Remember that it only 'grabs' the samples that have played, it's a not a SPC sample ripper by any stretch

I RTFM just now, I misunderstood how it worked :)

Reactions: EgM
Anyone owns both Super Audio Cart and this, with opinions / comparisons on the two? I know Super Audio Cart contains more systems and is more expensive, but if I'm only interested in the SNES stuff, which would be the best?
SAC is very limited. Its nice to have samples on a familiar interface (kontakt) but you miss tons of features of the Chipsynth SFC.

Now I just compared Chipsynth SFC with the C700 vst and both are the same sound wise and very close in terms of features.

Chipsynth SFC has a better interface and looks more pretty, but I'm not sure if that is worth 40$ against a free tool...

SAC is very limited. Its nice to have samples on a familiar interface (kontakt) but you miss tons of features of the Chipsynth SFC.

Now I just compared Chipsynth SFC with the C700 vst and both are the same sound wise and very close in terms of features.

Chipsynth SFC has a better interface and looks more pretty, but I'm not sure if that is worth 40$ against a free tool...

I've used both as well, but just the GUI alone to me is worth 40$ :)

1600790135434.png

1600790135434.png

Thats what I mean... 40$ for better looks, not sure if its worth. I mean, you can buy some cool libs with 40$ hahaha

I guess its a personal taste thing...

1600790135434.png
How is setting loop points?

also, is it able to extend the sample *up* the keyboard?

C700 is great for the sound but has some stability issues and some QOL points I wish they’d address.

I also buy their plugins to support their continued development. Since they have more stuff in the works, I hope they can sustain their future development.

Reactions: f11
I also buy their plugins to support their continued development. Since they have more stuff in the works, I hope they can sustain their future development.
Im always in favor of supporting devs. But $ is an issue sometimes. Maybe on a bf sale... :)

I’ve probably been waiting for this since the early 90s...
He mentioned, "Next one is not 100% decided, but as it stands now its one that has never been "fully" announced."

My heart is pounding for a DX-1, which they've softly mentioned in several occasions, including private conversation. I've been waiting for that..ALL my life :) especially with Plogue's level of perfection. Dreaming of super deep FM basses, Powerful giant sounding pads, hardest clangy plucks, monster percussives and the sweetest EPs.

I'm addicted to their ideas and sound presentations. On top of a great concept, great sound design as well. Playing with their presets is calming and comforting. Not often to have that kind of "played by heart" moment out of a plugin.

Based on the two most awesome sounding FM synths, which are based on Yamaha chips. The DX-1 will have an advantage of the R & D, which could be at the deepest level. This is a genius timeline for product development. Can't wait to hear anything about it.

SFC to me is much more than just a simple chiptune synth, but kind of a super vintage sampler/rompler which compliments the MD and Porta FM in a glorious way possible. It fills the empty hole as such a musical chipsynth, providing the same level of playability and authentic tone. It will not be surprising if future product going to be something like the SY99.

Last edited:
Top Bottom