What's new

Please share your different workflows and software/hardware setup!

HarmonyCore

Hey Everyone,

Some composers, like me, just use a midi keyboard to enter all the midi information. Others use maschine for percussion midi information and faders console to have access to volumes, automation, ...etc physically. Others quickly call articulations, DAW dynamics lanes, ...etc from a software installed in their iPads. And other countless ways and methods.

Until now, I can finish a hybrid epic orchestral or trailer track under 6 hours with just using my laptop and midi keyboard. I don't have any fancy studio rigs and my studio is in my small bedroom. The only fancy things that make me finish projects fast is using my Cubase shortcut keys to call stuff quickly and I am just damn quick using the mouse,

Now, I need to know if I need to consider faders console for example. I know that I definitely don't need maschine as I am pretty comfortable with performing my percussions on the keyboard. Also, I can't imagine I need a software installed on my iPad just to call things as my shortcut keys work very well. Maybe lots of composers have hard time to memorize shortcuts but I do memorize them pretty well.

So, please explain why many composers love to buy hardware stuff to have a quicker workflow if you can save money. Or do they need their studios look more musical by installing all these rigs for decoration?!

one person's opinion only!

There are as many reasons as there are solutions, and you will need to figure out what works for you. One way to speed the process up is to talk to folks who are doing things that look interesting to you.

I started out recording in a small 8 track studio when 8 tracks was still somewhat unusual. I rode that all the way till I had my own 16 track studio, to which I added a computer (an Amiga<G>) and I started using MIDI to sweeten the audio tracks.

That workflow is still somewhat ingrained in me, even though I don't use tape anymore. What I took from that experience, especially the first few years when I was learning everything, is that you don't have to leave every decision till the end. In fact committing to things can speed up the process, and even provide some serendipitous surprises.

I'm not an idiot - I do keep all the raw tracks in case some of my decisions were stupid, which means if I am recording through hardware processors I also capture an unprocessed version.

That's my workflow - not yours!

And since I grew up "riding" faders and making changes during the mixdown (automation had not yet been invented<G>) I am still most comfortable working that way. So I use a handful of hardware control surfaces:
  • I use two keyboards, a Roland MK-80 for its weighted action, and an NI S61 for it's lighter actions, and I am slowly getting used to the LEDs over the keys.
  • I use an ancient Roland PAD8 to enter drum and percussion parts. If I had the space I'd probably invest in a full electronic kit, but this at least lets me preserve some of that "human" feel, meaning I'm not the world's greatest drummer<G>.
  • I use a Presonus Faderport 16, which replaced an IconAudio M+ which replaced a Peavey StudioMix. Of all the hardware this is probably the thing I lean on the most.
  • I have a Softube Console One to control those plugins that are compatible. It isn't perfect, but it is fast!
  • I have an NI Kore2 that I use for all my other MIDI controller needs. Not perfect, but I already paid for it!
These tools help me produce my tracks. I could do it without, but it wouldn't be nearly as much fun!

I have no idea if this helps, but it is one perspective... possibly sufficient to keep you from buying these sorts of things??

To your last point, there is value, when you reach a certain stage, to keeping a cool looking studio. It won't make you a better composer (quite the opposite, being a successful composer will provide the wherewithal to build that studio). But appearances do matter, especially in the music for media world. I don't think anyone will debate the actual value, but sizzle sells.

Last thought - a long time ago I built myself a very small, very efficient production studio. No console, one tape deck, and plugins weren't really a thing yet, so lots of outboard gear. The actual level control was done using a bunch of these little MIDI controlled fader boxes called ACMs (I think).

When I got the whole thing debugged I held a couple open houses for local ad agencies. It was fun, but almost without fail every one of those agency types asked where the console was. I'm not sure any of them knew what the console did, but they wanted to see it. It was a total bust.

A friend who lived nearby had a "real" recording studio, and wanted to get into the MIDI "stuff", so we combined forces. Simply by moving my equipment into his studio I gained credibility almost overnight.

Did that make sense? No. Did it make me some money? Yes.

Which is to say, don't discount the cosmetics completely.

Top Bottom